Mayor rejects plan to build huge Vegas-style MSG Sphere in London

Gwendolyn

Khan gives thumbs down to 'Las Vegas' style Sphere music venue

Mayor Sadiq Khan has rejected plans to build a huge Vegas-style Sphere in east London.

The ball-shaped venue would have been similar to the American sphere where U2 played the first show of its residency on 29 September.

The Madison Square Garden Company submitted a planning application to the London Legacy Development Corporation to transform a site in Stratford.

The New York-based company bought a 4.7-acre site which has been left empty since it was last used as a temporary coach park during the 2012 London Olympics.The new venue, known as the MSG Sphere, had capacity of 21,000 for seating and standing and a giant LED screen.

It would have hosted concerts, shows and sporting events.

A spokesperson for the Mayor of London said: “London is open to investment from around the world and Sadiq wants to see more world-class, ambitious, innovative entertainment venues in our city.“But as part of looking at the planning application for the MSG Sphere, the Mayor has seen independent evidence that shows the current proposals would result in an unacceptable negative impact on local residents.”

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2023-11-20/mayor-rejects-plan-to-build-huge-vegas-style-sphere-in-london

Personally, Stratford is a mess as it is and I don't think adding a big advertisement eyeball in the middle of the London Skyline would be any better :rip: Keep that **** in Vegas!

• Like 2

i was just wondering the other day if this London one was going to happen, i know the residents were strongly against it. 

21k capacity for such an eye sore isn’t worth it. Make it stadium sized :gaylorcat2:

London has many issues to solve, needing a dystopian piece of crap like that isnt one of them.

Good. This whole idea to make social-media-friendly billboards out of whole buildings is ****ed, absolutely desolate.

You Europeans sound so grumpy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like Vegas is the only place where the Sphere can work because everything there is flashy and tacky so it doesn’t stand out too much. It could also probably work in Dubai and somewhere in Australia.

• Haha 1

Thank god, London has enough stadiums and arenas. I saw a picture of the one in Vegas during the daytime and it looks so ugly with the lights turned off

I saw the sphere in Vegas. It fits perfectly in that flashy city. I don't think it's particularly suitable for London. Certainly not Stratford (where I live). Stratford is already waaay too busy with Westfield Shopping Centre, The Olympic park, West Ham Stadium and also recently Abba Voyage Arena. Adding another popular venue would add more unnecessary foot fall. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.