Are adblockers becoming more powerful because of Youtube?

Eóghan

I always used 1 or 2 adblockers that i know, always the same 2 for the past 5 years and they weren't very good, for example they would only block half the ads on ATRL, most of them would still come through or just blank white spaces, same for many other sites. I didn't really care if they weren't very efficient, ads on website aren't THAT annoying. On the other hand those same adblockers would work very well on youtube until the crackdown from last month, after many warnings from youtube, none of my adblockers would work anymore. I had to sit through unskippable 30 seconds ads for a few weeks.

That was until last week, because now i can't see a single ads on SIGHT, anywhere on the web, everywhere I'm surfing. NONE. 

Even ATRL is clean CLEAN :ahh:not even the blank spaces are there.

And the cherry on top, Youtube is also adfree again. Thank you Youtube. :deadbanana2:

Not when Google is getting rid of Manifest which is the tech that adblocks use. So either switch to firefox now or it's gonna be over by June 2024

no ads on atrl on opera’s mobile version btw

adblockers are more powerful because of greed, they just had to keep pushing longer more intrusive ads, capitalism must be restrained

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

i use ublock origin and i haven't seen a single ad on the interwebs for years, including youtube 

Same, I browse ATRL and YouTube on Chrome and I've got the uBlock Origin extension and it works fine

Just now, I54X said:

Are these like apps? Youtube is tap dancing on my nerves with the adds, i need them gone. 

no they are internet browser extensions 

you do have apps too but i believe they only work on android not iphones 

youtube currently blocked adblocks tho (which should be reversed in Europe at least since it’s potentially illegal) 

1 hour ago, Odette Violet said:

I'm using Brave, works perfectly :giraffe:

Same, my friends always make fun of me when I say I use Brave but I don't see ads anywhere so :sistrens:

• Like 1

Idk what I use but YouTube knows I’m using it and won’t let me watch a damn video until I turn it off. 

I am one of those late bloomers who found out about chrome ad blockers like a month ago from an ATRL thread... My life has never been the same again :coffee:

No ATRL and YouTube ads have been fabulous x

2 hours ago, Lyrica said:

Not when Google is getting rid of Manifest which is the tech that adblocks use. So either switch to firefox now or it's gonna be over by June 2024

Which Adblock we do you use on Firefox?

2 hours ago, Eóghan said:

not even the blank spaces are there

if you use ublock origin they give you an option called "element picker mode" where you can select those blank ad placeholders yourself and hide them. just beware not to click anything else and break the websites or you'll need to manually delete the filters in settings. 

Let me go back to ublock :redface:

Ublock Origin works almost perfectly on YouTube again. In the rare circumstances where the video doesn't play, just sign out of your Google account and refresh.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Mornings said:

Idk what I use but YouTube knows I’m using it and won’t let me watch a damn video until I turn it off. 

YouTube started doing that a week ago for me, but I just turned my adblocker back on and it seems to be working again.  I think they must've found a workaround in the last update to circumvent their detectors. :eli:

Sure. I have two adblockers enabled right now and they work like a charm.

But I think people underestimate about valuable YouTube is. It can basically act as a time capsule, think of all the videos on there. News castings, concerts, interviews, etc. I think it has the most value out of all the social media platforms right now. I think they need to make it more user friendly with profiles and what not though.

2 hours ago, I54X said:

Are these like apps? Youtube is tap dancing on my nerves with the adds, i need them gone. 

what browser do you use? 

Idk, YouTube knows I'm using one and is blocking videos for me now. :chick3:

not people using two adblockers :rip: one is enough yall

anyway, im surprised at how few people use adblockers. theres more than 5 billions people who have access to the internet yet only tens of millions use an adblocker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.