do you like being gay? would you change it?

cyberpunkgoth

do you like being gay? would you change it?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. .

• i like being gay
    • i don't like it and i would change it if i could

Being any sort of queer allows you to doubt societal standards from a very young age. It's almost a privilege, so no, I'd never change it.

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Slayne

• jediah556

• CokeDestroyer

• Anthinos

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i like who i am but do i wish certain things were easier for lgbt people that straight people take for granted?? hell yes and id lowkey switch to the other side  

:suburban:

I genuinely adore it. I travel a lot, i earn a lot of money, I have sex whenever I want, I workout regularly and have good nutrition so I look good. I've met a lot of people and have a lot of good friends.

When I see my classmates (i am 31) and how atrocious and miserable most of them are, I feel bad for them. Married with 3-4 kids already, looking exhausted, not enough money to afford things that make them happy, convincing themselves their life and children are a blessing while it's obvious on their faces that they wish for the sweet embrace of death.

No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

I don't believe in coming out and 'outing' yourself anymore to be honest. People assuming you're straight until you say otherwise is on them, not on you. I find that unless it's appropriate for the conversation, outing yourself kind of invites the other person to give you their reaction, and in all honesty I don't really care for it regardless of if it's positive or not. 

That said, I do acknowledge that my feelings about this come from a place of privilege. I've not really had many issues in regards to my gender/sexuality where I currently live, so I can afford not to care.

Yeah I don’t do coming outs either anymore. If I’m in a new group and we’re discussing attractive guys I just immediately jump into the conversation. I don’t feel the need to announce it anymore

Edited by Love Again

The question in this thread is basically “do you love and accept yourself, yes or no”. 

• Confused 2

I love being gay, I love gay culture and everything else surrounding our culture except for the dating/relationship/sex aspect, well, it has to do more with the way of thinking of most of the LGBT community (myself included ofc).

I used to hate being gay but honestly I'm so happy I am. So much less societal pressure and tbh I know I would be wayyy more ignorant to social injustice/discrimination if I wasn't. 

It really depends on how the rest of my life turns out. Being gay, I think, has served as a butterfly effect for me to be more introspective and intelligent. From a young age, you already realize you are different, and you question everything. If you are a strong soul, you don't buy into homophobic religious rhetoric and continue to ask more questions, such as "Why is being gay considered bad?" and "I am not a bad person, how can I be evil?" There is no science here that I know of either, but I am also incredibly creative and have always had an affinity for art. I think my queerness and the open-mindedness it has given me made me more receptive to different artistic modes and feminine perspectives. Even if I were straight, I probably would not be so open to them. Of course, this artistic inclination and open-mindedness led me to be interested in the "art" of philosophy and psychology, among other things. It also prompted me to go online to talk to people on Twitter and ATRL, which has 100% changed my life because I've encountered perspectives I would have never gotten if I were not online. So, I believe my uniqueness and distinctive character are directly linked to my being gay.

Of course, I have also had to deal with trauma, isolation, loneliness, depression, and anxiety related to being gay. Simple things, such as getting a haircut, micromanaging aspects like how I move my hands, or the tone of my voice, to more profound matters like having to cut off all my male childhood friends and my religious family, are consequences of being gay. If I were straight, my life would probably be much more normal, and I would be a lot happier in more conventional ways, such as dating, family, and friends. Having never experienced childhood/teenhood love, never being fully honest with my friends and family, and never being able to be open about my feelings for a friend and having to keep it a secret, becomes daunting. The mental anguish catches up in adulthood. So, although I might have been a less "interesting" character, life would be easier.

I stated at the beginning that it's about how my life turns out, and that's the truth. I am 22, and I still battle with depression and anxiety, but something inside of me—perhaps that artistic and fighter spirit that my queerness has cultivated—tells me that I can still make something of myself and achieve my goals and dreams. All of this will be worth it because of the "character" that my queerness has allowed me to build. However, I also find it hard to fight sometimes, giving in to despair and feeling utterly alone. Sometimes, I think maybe this fight in me is just sour grapes—a coping mechanism; that it would have been better to be straight, but the truth is, nothing can be done now. We can't warp reality. The only thing we can do is deal with the cards we are dealt and be hopeful about the future.

• Like 1

I’m happy with myself. I’m not changing for anything or anyone. 

I love everything about being gay and I love being part of a community that continues to move forward and resist despite being a constant target. There's so much beauty in being queer, even in the struggle, and everyday I thank my lucky starts I was brought into this world to be a raging homo :gaycat2:  If I woke up straight tomorrow I would simply unalive myself

Edited by wulmite

I love myself and the person I am, for better and for worse, is independent of my sexuality. If I could change it, I would. But here we are. If I were straight, I'd most likely have a family of my own and be much further along in life by now, instead of being some type of perpetual bachelor who struggles with guys because of how (I don't even have the polite word for it) they are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.