How To Deal With Gym Fears?

Lana Banana

1 hour ago, Lana Banana said:

I’ve been paying for a subscription for more than two years and I’ve gone maybe 30 times in total. 

I feel super insecure that I’m this kind of a person in front of ripped and good looking bodies. Like me lifting 20kg and a muscular person is waiting on me to use the machine for his/hers 150kg. That way I always resort to cardio machines cuz there’s plenty and I can hog it for as long as I want. 

I have been trying to tell myself that nobody cares but I still can’t lift myself to go and do. 

Suggestions or tips?

as the guy who can use the 150kg we are not loolkimg at all at other peoples weights unless its heavier than what we do

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I have always gone when it isn't busy. I almost always have the gym to myself and I like it that way for a number of reasons, which also involve getting anxiety sometimes around other people.

I’ve tried 6AM, I’ve done 10PM, it’s always crowded. Therefore, I stopped putting it on the times I go and completely have gone unmotivated 

57 minutes ago, Goaty said:

If you have the spare income, would a personal trainer help? Some find the accountability nice - plus they’ll show you how to do everything correctly so you won’t be afraid of making a fool of yourself. 

Unfortunately not, I just enrolled at a university to do my Master’s degree so money has been an issue, but even with a job I wouldn’t pay for a PT here because the prices in Amsterdam per session are ridiculous. 

muscular people hate the other muscular people more. thinking **** like "ugh his form is whack. i'm bigger than him. lol nice ego lift. he is so short. does he think he is all that?" Stuff like that. the fights occur between competing meatheads

• Haha 1

Not to be an ******* but you should get over yourself.

Only reason I don't go to the gym right now is because of my fear of the countless cardiac arrest reports :gaycat7:

• Thumbs Down 2

The fittest guys are either very self obsessed or the nicest people who actually help. They do not care. 

In my experience the only time I actually heard someone being laughed at is when they are breathing way too loud like they are about to cum :rip: Or when they are aggressively using machines like they own them. But skinny/fat shaming? No. 

Like mostly everyone else said: 99.9% of the people there do not care, and chances are you’ll never have to see them again after the hour or so you’re there. 

Just go and do it for you, trust me once you get going, it gets easier and easier. I’m not the most confident person in the world either (I think I have a cute face, but an ugly body) and I just get in my own zone and it just gets easier as time goes on 

As everyone says, no one really cares!

Also, hope this can help. Some years ago I had the same problem until I asked my therapist and she said: “Why would you feel bad about yourself and your weight in a place where you’re suppose to go to lose that weight, everyone starts somewhere”

instead of worry about being judged, why dont you judge other people also, so at least when they judge you, then that`s fair.

try a workout class (i use classpass) for a couple sessions. having a coach that can correct your form will do wonders for you. then once you feel like you get the hang of things go to the gym and youll have more confidence

Just stop going to the gym tbh if you have a open decent park just go there for runs/basic calisthenics.. much better than gyms plus u will be less conscious there. 

Okay so what is in your head?

“Omggg look at his armss he looks so weak xddxddxd” 

no one fcnkg cares and most man went through that stage :rip: 

Most muscular man i met were very helpful too like they would tell me what to eat and what not to eat. 

I truly gave up on going to gyms. I realised no matter how much I suck it up, not care about what people think and show up to do my personal workout, i still will never be motivated to go every other day  because i just hate gyms so much. :michael:

Having to constantly worry about whether the gym is too busy and if there’s any equipment available, or have to ask people if they’re nearly finished with their sets. I’m such an introvert, personal training is the only route for me. I need someone to plan my routine and not have to worry about other people.  

Make life your gym. :wave2:

If nobody cares how come when you open the doors and enter literally everyone turns their heads and stare at you? :monkey:

In my local gym there’s a lot of different ppl, fit, average, not so fit… and I never experienced any judging, sometimes folks even asking for advice how to do some sets properly :gaycat2:  

Edited by Gottasadae

I'm not sure where you live but there are people of all shapes and sizes at my gym. Like everybody I was intimidated of going at first but once you look around and realise that everybody is on their own journey with their fitness and health, that it's not a competition and that just showing up means you're doing better than those who don't exercise at all, it's not so bad. Because of this, I don't see those muscular and ripped bodies as something to be intimidated by, but rather as motivation to be where I want to be.

But the gym isn't the only way to build fitness - you could join a local sports club, hire a personal trainer so you can gain that confidence around a single person or even join your local pool (swimming is such an underrated form of exercise)

18 hours ago, Lana Banana said:

I’ve been paying for a subscription for more than two years and I’ve gone maybe 30 times in total. 

I feel super insecure that I’m this kind of a person in front of ripped and good looking bodies. Like me lifting 20kg and a muscular person is waiting on me to use the machine for his/hers 150kg. That way I always resort to cardio machines cuz there’s plenty and I can hog it for as long as I want. 

I have been trying to tell myself that nobody cares but I still can’t lift myself to go and do. 

Suggestions or tips?

Some tips:

-Start creating a habit of going on times when it's less bussy , it will help you build confidence.

-Those good looking bodies you talk of started of as normal ones , they started just like you did and so no one will. judge you , and if they do well **** them 

-Create your gym routine in beforehand, so that you know exactly where to go and what to do. Having doubts of what machine to use and walking around can make you feel more vulnerable & observed.

-Make a playlist that you know boosts your confidence & self esteem  

-If in between sets you catch yourself admiring other people's bodies and wishing it was you , take that and turn it into motivation. Just say , that's gonna be me so I better give my all on this set

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.