Is Taylor Swift overrated?

Lana Banana

Of course she is. She doesn’t deserve 3 AOTYs for her childish songwriting skills

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lana Banana

• BtDecember

• Robyn.

• GraceRandolph

5 hours ago, Robyn. said:

Taylor is overrated in the sense that she gets excused for being mediocre in so many aspects solely because she writes songs. :bird:

She was smart for branding herself as a singer-songwriter because that definitely did take away the attention from all the rest.

What bothers me is someone like Beyoncé has been called overrated for a long time, when she's a better performer, better vocalist, better dancer, etc.

But because Taylor plays the guitar, she's the one to take seriously, please. :rip:

It's so wild to me how she has managed to make people think that self-written equals good and then when you listen the quality is just not there. I don't think she makes bad music but I just don't find anything to brag about lmao 

8 hours ago, Robyn. said:

when she's a better performer, better vocalist, better dancer, etc.

that's the thing, no one cares about this particular aspect of music in this century. The reason why Taylor is bigger than anyone else is not because she's the best, no one claims that. It's because she's the closest people have of an artist that actually sing about stuff we feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

that's the thing, no one cares about this particular aspect of music in this century. The reason why Taylor is bigger than anyone else is not because she's the best, no one claims that. It's because she's the closest people have of an artist that actually sing about stuff we feel. 

And this is exactly what makes her overrated.

You're pretty much admitting that she's not the best in many of these areas, and YET she's on her way to have the highest grossing female tour of all time ? :skull: 

It's crazy. 

1 minute ago, Robyn. said:

You're pretty much admitting that she's not the best in many of these areas, and YET she's on her way to have the highest grossing female tour of all time ? :skull: 

It's crazy. 

That's because, again, no one cares about those things? She's loved not because she's the best but because she makes the music people want to hear. And how can she be overrated when literally everyone agrees she's mid at those things you mentioned?

6 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

It's crazy. 

How many people are “the best” in the world?

Now how many people are average everyday humans? 

There’s a larger market of people just living the daily human experience. Therefore there is a bigger audience to tap into. It’s genius of Taylor to cater to the majority of the population by writing songs that relate to everyday life, as opposed to the grandeur and opulence that pop stars who are “the best” in their field cater to, because they’re inherently minimizing their audience. Does that business sensibility make sense to you? 

This thread is still up? Yet if this is about Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc. it would have been closed a long time ago…. biasTRL 

• Thumbs Down 1

Yes she is. The sane Swifties know this and the deranged ones deny it.

Stream

Edited by Namie-Knowles

59 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

That's because, again, no one cares about those things? She's loved not because she's the best but because she makes the music people want to hear. And how can she be overrated when literally everyone agrees she's mid at those things you mentioned?

So she's the most successful at those things while being mid.

And you still don't see it. :rip: 

58 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

It's crazy. 

But who the **** is going to a Taylor Swift concert expecting to see dancing? You can’t really compare the way her and Beyoncé perform live as their music is so different. Are you expecting Taylor to start doing full on choreography to songs like Love Story and Enchanted? - her career has never been built around her being a strong dancer, it’s been built around her connecting with a large audience through her song-writing / strong ear for melodies.

Beyoncé is a great performer, but it’s annoying how people always bring that up as if it’s the end-all and be-all of being an artist. I go to see people live because I enjoy their music. They could just stand there and sing and I’d still have a good time.  Taylor’s tour is so successful because her music career is so successful. People are going to hear the songs they love performed live. I don’t know why this is such a difficult thing for people to grasp? If you personally prefer your artists to dance and ‘perform’ all over the stage, that’s fine, but not everybody expects or wants that from the artists they listen to. 

I personally wouldn’t see Beyoncé in concert even if the tickets were for free, but that’s because I don’t connect with her music, it has nothing to do with her performance ability, as I know she’s a fantastic performer and vocalist. Her music just isn’t for me, so why would I see her live? I would however, go and see Taylor because I love her music. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

How many people are “the best” in the world?

Now how many people are average everyday humans? 

There’s a larger market of people just living the daily human experience. Therefore there is a bigger audience to tap into. It’s genius of Taylor to cater to the majority of the population by writing songs that relate to everyday life, as opposed to the grandeur and opulence that pop stars who are “the best” in their field cater to, because they’re inherently minimizing their audience. Does that business sensibility make sense to you? 

Not everyone has to be "the best", but when you're the most successful artist and no one can touch you success-wise, obviously the expectations are higher ? :rip: 

And what does that have to do with anything ? She can still be average to mediocre with genius marketing, congratulations.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Not everyone has to be "the best", but when you're the most successful artist and no one can touch you success-wise, obviously the expectations are higher ? :rip: 

And what does that have to do with anything ? She can still be average to mediocre with genius marketing, congratulations.

You’re missing the point. Your definition of greatness is being better than others, standing ABOVE your peers from an artistry standpoint. I think greatness is finding the beauty in the ordinary. Instead of the extraordinary extravagance of being a powerhouse vocalist or a trained dancer, Taylor leans into what so many people dream of doing: just creating the art that helps them express their feelings.

That’s it. She’s given people’s feelings a validation beyond measure. And that’s worth more than whatever bar you’re trying to hold her to that she doesn’t need to reach, because she’s perfectly capturing the emotions of entire generations of people across the globe by being exactly what she is: human 

17 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

You’re missing the point. Your definition of greatness is being better than others, standing ABOVE your peers from an artistry standpoint. I think greatness is finding the beauty in the ordinary. Instead of the extraordinary extravagance of being a powerhouse vocalist or a trained dancer, Taylor leans into what so many people dream of doing: just creating the art that helps them express their feelings.

That’s it. She’s given people’s feelings a validation beyond measure. And that’s worth more than whatever bar you’re trying to hold her to that she doesn’t need to reach, because she’s perfectly capturing the emotions of entire generations of people across the globe by being exactly what she is: human 

Not you basically reducing her shortcuts as a singer and performer to being human.

"She's very ordinary and basic, but that's what makes her special :heart2:"

Like please be for real :deadbanana4:

I'm not questioning whether or not people relate to her, she definitely does have a faithful audience, but that was never the point. Obviously, when you're literally outselling everyone male or female in every area : singles, albums, touring... Comparisons with peers who are objectively better in several areas will be made.

As much as i love Taylor and listen to her on daily basis, i wish she would disappear for a year or two from the music scene and give herself a rest and give another artists platform to shine. She's too overexposed at this moment, not just with music, but with her personal life, it's getting out of control because if they'll break up it will be the biggest breakups in history, and they both will be reminded about that every single day because people are way too involved in their relationship. It's never good for lasting relationship, too much pressure is hard to handle . And it's bad for mental health in a long run. Private relationship are always better 

She's rated. its accurate. 

2 hours ago, Robyn. said:

Not you basically reducing her shortcuts as a singer and performer to being human.

"She's very ordinary and basic, but that's what makes her special :heart2:"

Like please be for real :deadbanana4:

I'm not questioning whether or not people relate to her, she definitely does have a faithful audience, but that was never the point. Obviously, when you're literally outselling everyone male or female in every area : singles, albums, touring... Comparisons with peers who are objectively better in several areas will be made.

And the area where none of her peers can match her is her selling point: songwriting. The combination of her lyrics and melodies. The music itself. 

She's not a dancer, nor a very skilled vocalist (though she's much better than this forum makes her out to be). But the music itself was always top notch. And in the end, that's the most important for the public. What does the music make them feel? 

• Like 2

biasTRL haven’t close this thread I see :giraffe:

• Thumbs Down 1

of course she is

and of course MIDnights will win a 4th AOTY grammy to solidify that... :coffee2:

and of course her stans will pretend like it actually means shes the greatest ever, that's all they want :shakeno: 

I don’t get her appeal at all… I mean, her writing skills is one thing but on the other hand - she has no vocal or dancing abilities, creativity = 0, artistic touch and views = meh. What can I say, her management and PR team are doing an excellent and outstanding job, other girlies should take some notes, how you can rebrand and resale the same product twice :gaycat2: Also, I wanna witness, what she’s gonna be when she hit 40 :coffee2:

Edited by Gottasadae

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.