Bigger: Gaga ‘08-‘11, Britney ‘98-‘01, or Taylor ‘20-‘23?

St. Charles

Most impressive 3 year peak?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the most impressive peak?

• Gaga ‘08-‘11
    • Britney ‘98-‘01
    • Taylor ‘20-23
  2. 2. Who had the biggest pop culture moment?

• Gaga ‘08-‘11
    • Britney ‘98-‘01
    • Taylor ‘20-23

43 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

Even Justin Bieber and One Direction's peaks are bigger and more impressive.

stop trolling

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• Axelios

• Mystic Boy

• MusicandSoul

20 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Neither Britney or Gaga were the most successful during their peaks, they were always overshadowed by a bigger album/single/tour. Which artist has Taylor-level of power right now? Adele? Ed Sheeran? I don't think so :gaycat2:

Then u have to mention how different was for all 3 of them.

Britney's peak - at a time where males and older artists ruled. Women were really hated, especially in Pop - and Pop as a genre too.

Gaga's peak - The start of the Poptimism, altho still the start. She was getting lashed (mostly for being weird tho). The Start of the Pop Girl renaissance too

Taylor's peak - Poptimism has been a thing for some time now. There are no "bf jokes" that will go unpunished.

Taylor is probably most impressive for success tho?
But lets not forget what the circumstances for all 3 were.

ot: Britney deffo for Pop Culture Moments

6 minutes ago, houdini said:

stop trolling

this was 1D in practically every part of the world where they had a show lmao

Commercially:

Taylor > Gaga > Britney

Culturally:

Britney > Gaga > Taylor

• Like 1

Commercially it has to be Taylor, that’s for a lot of factors as well (streaming, “multiple covers/vinyls” of an album to sell more units, higher social media impact on charts, her TV albums…etc). 

I think Taylor takes it for most impressive. 

It’s hard to measure cultural impact as Taylor is still in her peak so we haven’t had time to feel her influence yet. I think it will be Taylor though, but could see an argument for any. 

Gaga’s was the most impressive cause pop was literally DYING and she revived it single handedly

Britney is the biggest though clearly 

Britney Then Gaga that’s all 

I think there is a certain nuance here that ATRL is not willing to have.  

The subjective level of an artist’s peak has a lot to do with what community you are a part of.  For example, Taylor Swift was arguably bigger than Lady Gaga from 2008-2011 in the United States.  Now I would not make the argument that the former was bigger because there is objective data to say otherwise.  However, someone would not be wrong in saying they felt that way in their subjective experience.  

This can work for age too.  Someone experiencing experiencing things at 14 will have an entirely different perspective from what they experience at the age of 28.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Britney's peak - at a time where males and older artists ruled. Women were really hated, especially in Pop - and Pop as a genre too.

Gaga's peak - The start of the Poptimism, altho still the start. She was getting lashed (mostly for being weird tho). The Start of the Pop Girl renaissance too

Taylor's peak - Poptimism has been a thing for some time now. There are no "bf jokes" that will go unpunished.

You said this because you had to say something about Taylor or do you really think this way? Cuz let me tell you, as soon as the news about her break up came out, they were questioning F1 drivers about her, totally unprovoked. And people on the internet went back to slutshaming mode with the difference that none of us care this time to make a big deal about it.

OT: Taylor for both, more than 80million units in 3 years, 6 no.1 singles, 7 no.1 albums, still selling like there's no tomorrow in pure sales, dominanting radio as if she is a hot new act, entire catalog charting WW. 

PHD decoration, Ticketmaster Fiasco, Tour making headlines every country it steps in, Changing the way movies are distributed, Universities WW having classes to study her work and business acumen, her appearances being first page headlines. 

Billboard staffers said it best:

She's firing on all cylinders at an unparalleled rate.

41 minutes ago, gatito said:

the amount of copium in this thread is reaching unprecedented levels :bibliahh:

britney had NO competition back then, pretty much like taylor is on a league of her own right now

Eminem was bigger than Britney. 

11 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

this was 1D in practically every part of the world where they had a show lmao

Even at their peak, no One Direction album sold as much as Fearless...

11 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

I don’t think women were hated during Britneys peak. Brit was the biggest girl during her peak obviously but a lot of women were smashing, even more than today. 

Celine, Madonna, Christina, Avril, Norah, Destiny’s Child, Cher, Shania, Lauryn, Shakira, Pink, Enya, Dido, Whitney all launched at least one album above 15m sps and 10m pure from 1997-2002. 

Whilst 2017-2023 has Dua, Billie, Gaga, Ariana, Taylor, Sza, Doja and Blackpink  over 7.5 million cspc. And some of them might never hit 15 million. 

Men kinda only took over in 2004. 

taylor is truly on a different level and i feel like i’ve never seen anything quite like her popularity this year. the demand for her tour was absolutely insane. resale tickets were still going for $2k+ the day of and fans were willing to pay that. 

that being said, i feel that age has a lot to do with this poll. i would easily say gaga for biggest pop culture moment because she was everywhere. the day after any award show, she was all anyone was talking about afterwards. i was in school and teachers would mention her performances and outfits the next day. it was such a particular moment in pop culture. i wasn’t old enough to really experience britney’s peak, so i can’t speak on that. 

Also Taylor's been stomping on almost every other artist since 1989 OG, so her dominance expands as far back as 2014 to right now, which is something the other two didn’t have; Gaga was already struggling with BTW's 2nd single (Judas) while Britney started being overshadowed by her own scandals by the time In The Zone came out. Taylor's success is out of reach for any other artist, her peak right now doesn’t encapsulate just in media coverage, album sales or tour tickets. She's dominating almost each and every metric her name is attached to: streaming, box office, touring, album sales, singles, popularity, acclaim.

Edited by Trainwreck

Idk but Britney last 

Gaga and Taylor were forefront in changing pop music in their respective eras whereas Britney just rode the teen pop wave and was conventionally “pretty”

26 minutes ago, Itsaliability said:

You said this because you had to say something about Taylor or do you really think this way? Cuz let me tell you, as soon as the news about her break up came out, they were questioning F1 drivers about her, totally unprovoked. And people on the internet went back to slutshaming mode with the difference that none of us care this time to make a big deal about it.

That wasn't her peak tho.

Nowadays when someone makes fun of that aspect of her, they get backlash - which wasn't the case back then.

You personally may not care, but lots of her fans do. You should know how different a big fanbase is..

20 minutes ago, Kodak Energy said:

I don’t think women were hated during Britneys peak. Brit was the biggest girl during her peak obviously but a lot of women were smashing, even more than today. 

Celine, Madonna, Christina, Avril, Norah, Destiny’s Child, Cher, Shania, Lauryn, Shakira, Pink, Enya, Dido, Whitney all launched at least one album above 15m sps and 10m pure from 1997-2002. 

Whilst 2017-2023 has Dua, Billie, Gaga, Ariana, Taylor, Sza, Doja and Blackpink  over 7.5 million cspc. And some of them might never hit 15 million. 

Men kinda only took over in 2004. 

I said "hated" meaning - they weren't treated right. This is especially big in Britney's story for example

Britney was getting heat for dumb stuff, where males would even be applauded in some cases.

I didn't say females weren't successful, but many of them were either short-lived or werent comparable - while Brit was both big and had longer success.

Another thing is that lots of those artists debuting around her time, weren't even as global as her. You could argue that they were big locally, but that's it in most cases.

For the older artists, they've already had big fanbases so it was different for them (like how this thread would be even a bigger mess if u added someone from the 80s etc). THat's why on End-Year Touring lists, you mainly saw veteran female artists and barely any new artist (one of which was Britney in a lot of the cases, just to add).

Current year big artists u mentioned, will deffo hit a high number. Don't know why u are doubting that.

Streaming has made it much more possible to do so, at least on the long run. However we aint even talking about numbers (since as I said on another aspect - circumstances were different) [also to add, music industry sales are currently at their peak. beating even 00s (which was also the piracy peak tbh)]

Men have always been big? especially bands.

There was a nice article on Chartmasters (ik we hate it, but they have interesting takes)

Groups are the only ones on the lower end (from what I can remember), ig since they are mostly teenage pop bands anyways..

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Gaga stood up for gay rights a decade before YNTCD and she’s not conventionally attractive. 

I- 

:clack:

12 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

That wasn't her peak tho.

Nowadays when someone makes fun of that aspect of her, they get backlash - which wasn't the case back then.

You personally may not care, but lots of her fans do. You should know how different a big fanbase is..

I said "hated" meaning - they weren't treated right. This is especially big in Britney's story for example

Britney was getting heat for dumb stuff, where males would even be applauded in some cases.

I didn't say females weren't successful, but many of them were either short-lived or werent comparable - while Brit was both big and had longer success.

Another thing is that lots of those artists debuting around her time, weren't even as global as her. You could argue that they were big locally, but that's it in most cases.

For the older artists, they've already had big fanbases so it was different for them (like how this thread would be even a bigger mess if u added someone from the 80s etc). THat's why on End-Year Touring lists, you mainly saw veteran female artists and barely any new artist (one of which was Britney in a lot of the cases, just to add).

Current year big artists u mentioned, will deffo hit a high number. Don't know why u are doubting that.

Streaming has made it much more possible to do so, at least on the long run. However we aint even talking about numbers (since as I said on another aspect - circumstances were different) [also to add, music industry sales are currently at their peak. beating even 00s (which was also the piracy peak tbh)]

Men have always been big? especially bands.

There was a nice article on Chartmasters (ik we hate it, but they have interesting takes)

Groups are the only ones on the lower end (from what I can remember), ig since they are mostly teenage pop bands anyways..

I'm talking about her and Joe breaking up, which happened this year, her PEAK peak.

2 hours ago, houdini said:

Taylor has obtained over 6 #1 hits in those three years, had SEVEN #1 albums, sold over one million albums in the first week multiple times, biggest tour in history, most consumed artist globally, breaking every single record possible, won an AOTY thropy. Britney and Gaga had clear peers in their prime. Taylor is so massive she doesnt even have ONE single artist out today that does even remotely similar numbers as her. 

Cut the foolery hoes

Yeah, but none of those #1 songs come close to being anywhere as iconic or remembered as Oops, which didnt even go #1 as a single. Chart positions and sales arent everything.

51 minutes ago, Homebrand said:

Idk but Britney last 

Gaga and Taylor were forefront in changing pop music in their respective eras whereas Britney just rode the teen pop wave and was conventionally “pretty”

Britney literally created the teen pop wave wdym. All her record executives talked about how it wasnt usual for a young teen girl to release music then, that it was a major risk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.