2024 Met Gala | Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion

Almodusa

The theme for the 2024 Met Gala has been revealed. The event will be on Monday, May 6th.

Zendaya, Bad Bunny, Jennifer Lopez & Chris Hemsworth will be the co-chairs.

Speaking in advance of this morning’s announcement, Andrew Bolton, Wendy Yu Curator in Charge of The Costume Institute, said: “Fashion is one of the most emotional artistic forms because of its connection to the body. It is imbued with memory and emotions, and we relate to it very much via our senses. One thing I hope this show will activate is that sensorial appreciation of fashion.”

Bolton explained that the exhibition will be structured around approximately 50 historically significant and aesthetically beautiful pieces from the collection that are far too fragile ever to be worn again. “These are the ‘Sleeping Beauties’ of the title,” he said. Instead of fulfilling their original worn function, these pieces – including that Elizabethan bodice and a silk satin ballgown by the American couturier Charles Frederick Worth from 1877 that was the show’s original inspiration – will instead be transformed through display.

Edited by Almodusa

This is reallly really boring. I feel like venturing into really old museum only garments as the inspo is somewhat similar to the gilded age we had for two years. It’s not fresh at all 

Inb4 Gaga arrives in a glass coffin

Blake Lively and her yearly Fairy Princess cosplay are thriving

Edited by Riot

finally Xtina can attend. Matt can just ship her to NYC straight from her bed @WalkAway :clap3:

4a0bbc4c3f48572679b8bd1149c82fe6.jpg

Edited by popmusicisdead

15 minutes ago, Lana Banana said:

Inb4 Gaga arrives in a glass coffin

I WISH 17HSMdI.gif It'll be a floor-length gown and up-do if she decides to attend 

Xtina with her pillow and blanket coat can do this

1 hour ago, blackoutbritney said:

This is reallly really boring. I feel like venturing into really old museum only garments as the inspo is somewhat similar to the gilded age we had for two years. It’s not fresh at all 

Well, it's designers f***** job to take something old and make it fresh :priceless: It's called inspiration, look it up, hon

Madonna must dust off her "Bedtime Story MV" outfits

Madonna Bedtime Story GIF - Madonna Bedtime Story Bedtime Stories -  Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Raptus

GettyImages-1244543120.jpg

• Haha 1

My Bjork stanning made MET Gala seem so boring. Like:

Bjork 2022 TourBjork performs on stage during a concert of her tour "Cornucopia" at...  News Photo - Getty Images

Bjork performs onstage during Olavsfest 2022 on July 30, 2022 in...  Fotografía de noticias - Getty ImagesBjork Live 2013

A thrill': Björk to perform in Australia for first time since 2008 in Perth  festival exclusive | Björk | The Guardianphotos — björk live

Björk announces 2023 European 'Cornucopia' tourBjork performs on stage during her 2023 Cornucopia tour at O2 Arena... News  Photo - Getty ImagesBalenciaga lands on planet Björk | Dazed

Edited by Raptus

Please be more than a bunch of very old garments that aren't that interesting.  The idea of fragility is great but being fragile because of age is not something anyone is going to care about.  The garments need to have incredibly intricate construction and applications.

I just know people are gonna completely misinterpret the theme and show up in pajamas/serving fairytale/Sleeping Beauty. Please get original & creative this time or just don't show up. :rip:

3 hours ago, Raptus said:

Well, it's designers f***** job to take something old and make it fresh :priceless: It's called inspiration, look it up, hon

Thank you for explaining the ******* obvious to me. I just think after 3 years of focusing on the past as inspiration we could’ve had something more forward thinking. Open up your mind, hun

Finally a theme my fave can nail. She'll show up wearing a white sheet. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7H1BRgLEb6rJXcmo4XGR

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.