Album of the year vs. rate your music

fauxtography

Thinking of joining one of these sites, but don’t know which one :bird:

I’ve been reading up on comparisons and me fears I don’t know enough to understand the difference

what are the atrl sissies using? :bird:

AOTY is less toxic I think, but I've never used either that much so I could be wrong. 

Album of the year sweetie... I'm so sorry.

RYM is for pretentious bearded incels who jerk off to fantano videos.

• Haha 2

RYM is extremely misogynistic and pretentious. If you check their top 100 albums of all time you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of albums by women there. 

• Like 1

rym has better cataloging, much more deepcuts and features, aoty is just a copycat

3 minutes ago, Contessa said:

rym has better cataloging, much more deepcuts and features, aoty is just a copycat

how can AOTY be a copycat when they look COMPLETELY different from rym? also rym has no critic scores while aoty does

30 minutes ago, Delirious said:

how can AOTY be a copycat when they look COMPLETELY different from rym? also rym has no critic scores while aoty does

The ethos of album cataloging and user ratings/reviews scream rym and discogs, the pioneers of user-driven music cataloging and review. I suppose it also acts like metacritic in a way, but if I cared about what critics had to say I would go to their websites or use metacritic instead

For people saying RYM is pretentious and misogynistic, those are the people reviewing music on the site. This is not Breitbart or some website that is inherently misogynistic and sexist. Again, not saying the people aren't those things, but this user is asking about which website to use for reviewing music-- not for engaging/talking with other music reviewers.

OT: I use RYM. I prefer the layout of the website, and I am more familiar with it. 

Edited by zasderfght

more engagement, more drama, bait more likes, pitchfolk rate 0-100, broken website - aoty

archives or study music history from lists than current music, film rating included, 5 stars rate, more bots, complicate customizes - rym

I like RYM's UI more and I think their database is more encompassing. Their community can be annoying but I mostly stay away from that part of the site anyways.

RYM can be hell sometimes with incels and bros but AOTY feels basically like MC user score with biased furious stans over-inflating their favs albums scores. :rip: 

I also love RYM's use of genres and subgenres, descriptors and such.

So I registered on RYM but its a little overwhelming, I may pop over to AOTY to check it out :katie:

thanks for all who contributed - tho its funny because it seems atrl is as split down the middle as my own googling was when looking into them :ahh:

Join Rate Your Music

On 11/8/2023 at 1:04 AM, =NEX= said:

RYM is extremely misogynistic and pretentious. If you check their top 100 albums of all time you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of albums by women there. 

It's getting (slowly) better though. I noticed that a lot of pop girl albums and songs that used to have a low score are rising in the charts and getting bolded

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.