Alabama Mayor Dies By Suicide After Being Outed For Online Drag Persona

wehavetostan

• ATRL Moderator

An Alabama mayor and pastor has died by suicide shortly after a rightwing site published images of him wearing women’s clothes and makeup.

FL Copeland, called Bubba, was the mayor of Smiths Station and served as the pastor of First Baptist Church in Phenix City. He died by suicide in front of police officers who were performing a welfare check, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

The conservative site 1819 News published a story about Mr Copeland on Wednesday. The Daily Beast noted that it was previously owned by the conservative Alabama Policy Institute and it’s edited by an ex-contributor to Breitbart News, a larger rightwing outlet.

The story was published with the headline: The secret life of Smiths Station Mayor and Baptist pastor F.L. ‘Bubba’ Copeland as a ‘transgender curvy girl’: ‘It’s a hobby I do to relieve stress’.

Mr Copeland’s church reacted to the story, calling it “unbiblical behavior” in a statement. The pastor is reported to have told parishioners that the story didn’t show “who or what I am,” adding that it would  “not cause my life to change”.

This will not waver my devotion to my family, serving my city, serving my church,” Mr Copeland said ahead of his last sermon on Wednesday. “Yes, I have taken pictures with my wife in the privacy of our home in an attempt of humour because I know I’m not a handsome man nor a beautiful woman, either,” he added. “I apologize for any embarrassment caused by my private, personal life.

source

oh wow. They looked happy as a trans woman. I hope it is not considered insensitive to post this photo. RIP.

Bubba-Copeland-outfit2-582x1024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

oh wow. They looked happy as a trans woman. I hope it is not considered insensitive to post this photo. RIP.

They looked so happy, that’s a shame. I hate religion. 

• Like 2

So sad. I'm so tired of these organized Religions and their homo- and transphobia. We as a society shouldn't follow the laws of books that have been created thousands of years ago by a society that was completely different than our society. All big Religions have been created by ancient heterosexual men. We need a modern inclusive spiritual movement. 

• Like 2

On one hand she couldn't live her truth and thats sad. On the other hand, the fact he was actually acting like it was nothing and a god-fearing republican makes me not want to feel as sorry as I should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is sad. This is what happens when you put so much emotional investment & love into a community who would hate you if they found out any astray thing about you. Don't invest emotionally in those types of people or situations. He still had his wife, but his entire life he built was on a shitty fragile framework.

Edited by differentkindahigh
  • Like 2

In the original article that exposed him, it says that he told them not to to

make it public but did so anyways. Then they had the audacity to publish an article about his death by saying we are sending to his community and family. Eff you!

2 hours ago, Danger said:

4 hours ago, wehavetostan said:

unbiblical behavior

:rip:

'trans' persona? what he said suggested more of drag queen/cross-dresser.. anyway, this is so heart-breaking, he looked so happy and cute in the photo.. the fact it's almost 2024 and men still commit suicide over wearing women's clothes is just so sad. may he rest in peace.

4 hours ago, perpetual novice said:

he did not identify as trans, he was cross dressing

He called himself a "curvy trans woman" in online profiles. Clearly we don't know how he felt inside, it's just a tragic outcome.

I’m did anyone peep he dressed as his wife chile the kink undertones 

also him talking about killing someone and wearing their body… at least that’s what people were saying :jonny6:

On 11/5/2023 at 10:29 AM, Danger said:

The wig is giving Bey at Superbowl

this is so sad. I hate the south with the oppressive religious hypocrites running rampant ruining everyones lives. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.