Siiickbrain - 'MY MASOCHISTIC MIND'

sam.teas

Excited. I only listenwd to her 2 years ago because of Maggie and I'm quite impressed.

01. Three Eyes / 1:43
02. Psychopath / 3:00
03. Parasite / 1:56
04. Liar / 2:16
05. 14 Needles / 2:44
06. Die Quietly / 3:00
07. Idols / 2:18
08. Fear God / 2:25
09. I Am a Machine / 2:11
10. Transcendence / 2:52
11. Emergency / 3:52

7 hours ago, sam.teas said:

the album is very very good 

Uuf,please drop that mini review also. Is it very Pin Cushion,Dopemine,hellside and Zombie teas,but 2.0?

Sadly, the album wasn't that impressive as her 2021-2022 singles, but I'm still glad she's finally releasing her debut record. She's indie-indie so I see how inspired she is about every song she's putting out so easily these months, and also I see how quickly she jumps out of cohesiveness (like, first Jealousy/Fear the Sun scrapped project, after those phonk singles that didn't even make the EP at least, and now the absolutely new album). Song lengths are also catastrophic. But these are only negative things I would say, in all other things like music, production, visuals -- she's so good and I'm really proud to see her growth! 

• Like 1

my little review. it contains spoilers and comparisons. :ducky:

Siickbrain decides to point out the journey, the life and the hardest challenges in the album, alternating different sounds and genres. The output generated tries to assess the reality, sometimes clouded by difficult steps and pains. Before starting, the previous tracks such as Zombie (whisperings and semi-post-electronic sound), Pin Cushion (soft, "Post Malone"-"Demi Lovato" influenced and post-hardcore) and HELLSLIDE offer exactly what the album focuses on. 

The album opens with a very good track, Three Eyes, presenting a semi-post-electronic sound, surrounding the listener's ear with screams. There's like an oxymoronic approach in the lyricism and in the structure of the song: it starts assessing siiickbrain's life and declaring I'm dead [...] and at the end there's an evolution, moving to I'm Alive [...]. 

Skipping Psychopath and Parasite, Liar focuses back its sound on Three Eyes, modulating the ambience with crescendos and cute production at the start (the end is kinda mid). There's a moment where it explodes, from 1:24 you can feel the crescendo, alternating screams and electronic distortions.

14 Needles gives particular vibes: very post-hardcore, alternated with "normal" singing: 'till I lose it [...] is the constant repetition. To be honest, maybe it's the best from the album, even if part of the production seems to cover and to "swallow" siiickbrain's voice. The end is very good actually, and it encourages you to re-listen to the track (personally speaking).

Skipping Die Quietly that still brings light to the album, Idols starts with a "recharging" sound, in part "clouded". It's one of the weirdest tracks off of the album: it is entirely sung whispering, except in some parts. Probably only the lyricism saves the song, specially at the end where the screams become more and more pungent and annoying. 

Fear God brings back the semi-post-electronic sound, alternating crescendos with very good production. Collective disintegration [...] is the focus. The screams are always present, but "fortunately" covered by the production. Another fave from the album.

I Am A Machine sounds very familiar, pure rock and electric, even if it lacks a proper structure: short, vocal filters and repetitions. It's not that bad, but again it seems like a "reject" from the previous tracks, offering the same pot. Little crescendos can be found when 40 seconds are left to go.

Trascendence opens the ambience out of breath, exploding immediately in the super post hardcore sound, offering simple lyricism and high screams. The production is dark, covering  siiickbrain's voice in many parts of the song. Nothing special. A huge skip (poor my ears).

The last track, Emergency starts betraying the sound of the album, offering a "pop-hardcore" sound: the voice is soft, the production is alternated with dark sounds. The whispers are back, sadly leaving the track with big empty spots. It does not scream "good" nor "bad" and at the same time it doesn't offer a proper end to the album. In emergency I'm surrounded [...]

The album is not impressing as @AlexLockhart correctly stated before, because it still goes around the same thing, not offering a jump to such different vibes. We can consider it as a collection, the first milestone of the career, that resumes what really Siiickbrain is known for.

(Don't wanna to publish my score, but it's low):kitty:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

She'll never match dopamine but that's ok. I liked this album

I'm actually glad this album out. It makes me appreciate her earlier stuff much more :katie:  revisiting her previous EP and singles with such joy today. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.