Do you re-wash your pre-washed salad/leafy greens?

Breathe On Moi

Pre-washed leafy greens   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you re-wash pre-washed leafy greens?

• Yes, of course.
    • No, I trust it.
    • I literally only eat chicken nuggets and have high blood pressure.

I’m about to have a salad and I picked up a bag (which I never do, lazy af today, and also I know these always spoil SO quick so waste of $) of pre-washed italian salad mix. :redface: 

BUT! after watching the Spoiled documentary on Netflix, I rethink literally every ******* thing related to food safety.

I usually wash lettuce/greens with a litto bit of vinegar and then water… :dancehall2:

so before I make this lil salad, let’s hear the opinions…do you guys re-wash pre-washed bagged greens??? do you care about salmonella??? do you wash your ass????? :lakitu:

the amount of pics/videos i’ve seen of bagged fruit & veg from supermarket containing maggots or insects is gross. it’s a must.

• Like 2

I don't wash any produce or meat from the grocery store. If it wasn't safe to eat they wouldn't sell it to you. Though I shop at Whole Foods not ghetto places like Walmart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DeadInside said:

I don't wash any produce or meat from the grocery store. If it wasn't safe to eat they wouldn't sell it to you. Though I shop at Whole Foods not ghetto places like Walmart. 

You should always wash your produce. Especially if they’re organic. 

What you’re doing is so nasty. I pray for whoever eats your food.🤢

• Haha 3

Sometimes when i'm not lazy 

• Like 1

I wash everything but my greens, I have to trust my grocery store on that one cuz I HATE drying my baby kale :thing: I know I should get one of those salad dryer things but I'm too lazy to order one

30 minutes ago, DeadInside said:

I- 

but that’s literally contrary to what every documentary on that matter has taught us. :rip:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kimi said:

I actually wash it, it doesn't hurt and makes me more sure.

so I was googling and experts say it can actually add bacteria if you re-wash :dancehall2:

13 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

I wash everything but my greens, I have to trust my grocery store on that one cuz I HATE drying my baby kale :thing: I know I should get one of those salad dryer things but I'm too lazy to order one

salad spinner is actually on my Christmas list :lakitu:

i tend to avoid pre-washed bagged greens and buy unpackaged kale, chard, whatever leafy green bundles because i've read that the pre-washing process is what actually tends to introduce bacteria. washing with water or vinegar out of the bag won't get rid of salmonella, listeria, etc. if i do get bagged spinach, i do wash it just out of habit though. salad spinners are cheap and very effective. 

Edited by teresaguidice

Only place I get prewashed greens from is Costco and I don't rewash those

When I buy from my local market I wash them and then use a salad spinner!

1 hour ago, makeme said:

Sometimes when i'm not lazy 

This :dies: 

I could use a salad spinner as well, I'm eating more leafy greens than ever these days 

I actually find the pre-packaged stuff lasts way too long… like suspiciously so… but once you open the bag they go bad quickly.

The only pre-packaged one I buy these days is the shredded cabbage and carrots for coleslaw cause I’m too lazy for all that. And yes I wash it/soak it. I supposed it’s mostly out of habit.

Edited by Park Jinyoung

4 hours ago, Invisibility said:

I wash them and then use a salad spinner!

5 hours ago, Breathe On Moi said:

salad spinner is actually on my Christmas list

4 hours ago, Reginald said:

I could use a salad spinner as

:biblio:

• Haha 1

Sometimes, but honestly depends on where it’s from. If it’s a salad kit from Target or a low-tier grocery store - 100%. From the health food market, I trust it.

7 hours ago, shookspeare said:

6 hours ago, Breathe On Moi said:

salad spinner is actually on my Christmas list :lakitu:

I bought a salad spinner this year and it's literally so life-changing :jonny5:. I highly recommend. Washing is so important but you don't want to eat your salad wet.

• Like 2

Ummm yes? How hard can it be :deadbanana2: I wash all fruit, vegetables so it only makes sense to at least run the water over the salad to wash away the stale water droplets that have been sitting on it.

I also have no issues with eating it wet, like I'm gonna drizzle vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice over it anyway :thing:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.