if GUTS was olivia's debut instead of SOUR would it smash?

Asscatchem

if GUTS was olivia's debut instead of SOUR would it smash?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. if GUTS was olivia's debut instead of SOUR would it smash?

• yes it would still be successful
    • no it needed sour's goodwill

• ATRL Moderator

No.

I think I’m one of the few on here that thinks SOUR is just the much better album between the two. But, regardless, SOUR is just much more consumable to the masses with a stronger foundation in pop music. GUTS is much more committed to the punk rock elements and it was always going to struggle to find its groove with the GP compared to SOUR.

• Like 7

Guts is much stronger but Sour was more accessible for the GP to get onboard with. Plus it fit in better with the Swiftie thing she was pushing at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

So much explanations about the actual music....drivers exploded because became an huge viral thing thanks to gossip. And after that everyone was interested to the album cause they liked this story and that celebrity triangle build as narrative around it. 

Then of COURSE people liked the music too, not only that make people interested on music, especially on a whole project cause people consumed all Sour as whole. 

This time she missed a good narrative to sell the album...that kinda of feud with Taylor didn't work and wasn't enough to launch an entire era. Honestly i think love gossip still is the most interesting thing you can sell to an audience as young and teen as hers.

Of course you can found a way to build a narrative is not about a gossip to make an interesting album but it's not easy. IMO the best thing in this case is a very strong reinventation in the music sound, and she didn't do this.

See how for example 1989 has everything of this: harry styles, a feud with another popstar, a complete "shocking" music reinventation

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The most crucial lyrics for Sour success is that "guess you didn't mean what you wrote in that song about me"

this was genius, this is on pair with Carly Simon You're so vain.

People on radios listen to this and they never heard this voice so they are like "wait. Who is she? And why someone wrote a song about her?. So is she famous? Who is the other? What is this other song she's talking about?".

And they were interested to search who she was. This instantly makes you not someone just sings a faceless hit of the moment. 

Edited by vale9001

Def not 

If it was the debut i think it would've had maybe 1/4 of its success

• Like 1

My hot take is that I think the song that actually gave Sour its legs was Deja Vu. Despite not being as massive as Drivers License and Good 4 U at the time, it outstreams them both in 2023. I think it's still her most unique offering to date, has the most replay value, and prevented DL from being looked at as a fluke.

GUTS comparatively just doesn't have a song that hits like that. It's an album that feels conflicted with itself because she's trying to appease both the fans of the pop punk half of Sour and the ballads, but it does neither as effectively as its predecessor. The pop punk songs individually might be better than G4U as a song (which has always felt overrated) but since the GP was already used to that sound from her it doesn't feel as fresh the second time and they all kind of blend together.

So to answer your question, no. If GUTS was her 2021 debut it would have flopped more than likely or done okay because it doesn't have the Drivers License, Deja Vu, Good 4 U trifecta which created the perfect storm.

Edited by Beyonnaise
  • Like 4

Driver’s License is monumental in Olivia’s career. Vampire, as much as I am absolutely in love with that song and is my favorite Olivia song, wouldn’t get her far if it was her debut single.

It's the better album 

But the story on driver's licence is what made her big not the music itself so no

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.