Denmark Aims a Wrecking Ball at ‘Non-Western’ Neighborhoods

Kitty Kat

“The welfare society is fundamentally a community, which is based on a mutual trust that we all contribute,” Denmark’s prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, said in March at a summit of the country’s municipalities. “All that is being seriously challenged by parallel societies.”

The law mandates that in neighborhoods where at least half of the population is of non-Western origin or descent, and where at least two of the following characteristics exist — low income, low education, high unemployment or a high percentage of residents who have had criminal convictions — the share of social housing needs to be reduced to no more than 40 percent by 2030.

That means more than 4,000 public housing units will need to be emptied or torn down. At least 430 already have been demolished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/26/world/europe/denmark-housing.html?unlocked_article_code=1.6Ew.EFMt._RyHJ-RNOtMm&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

What a ****** up place

what is going on with the world? :biblio:

So they don’t want to support people who come to the country, don’t try to integrate and expect to live off of welfare their whole life? What a horrible place :coffee:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

27 minutes ago, Navy4Life said:

So they don’t want to support people who come to the country, don’t try to integrate and expect to live off of welfare their whole life? What a horrible place :coffee:

Someone isn't trying to integrate if they are poor and thus have to live in a largely minority neighborhood amongst other poor migrants? But only if these enclaves are... "non-Western"? So an entire low-income Latvian neighborhood, for example, is not a lack of integration? Because... they're white? Or...?

If "non-Western majority neighborhoods" are signs of failed integration, how come none of these far right European countries have programs that purposefully integrate neighborhoods and recently settled migrants?

It's very interesting what people concerned about lack of social stability in Europe have been silent on Israel's genocide of Palestinians. :celestial5:

Edited by Communion
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

When western nations see the US and EU support for ethnic cleansing in Palestine, some will naturally wonder what they can get away with at home.

• Like 2

Parallel society are a real problem in western Europe. There is one parallel society that is especially dangerous. I'm glad that politicians in western Europe are tackling the problem. I don't want to feel unsafe on the streets anymore and as someone who is gay I'm tired of certain parallel societies. Thankfully the center-left parties in Europe are waking up. Mette's party is a center left party. I've heard that the social democrats in Sweden have also changed their stance on this matter. I hope this is going to weaken the far right in Europe.

• Thanks 1

The article says residents displaced are offered alternative public housing options in other buildings or neighborhoods. I understand it's controversial but someone ought to take difficult decisions and try to fix the "parallel cities" problem in Europe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

When western nations see the US and EU support for ethnic cleansing in Palestine, some will naturally wonder what they can get away with at home.

Well that's what's been planned ever since the Iraqi invasion. It's just starting to come into fruition.

Good, if you don't want to integrate then **** off and I'm saying it as an immigrant. I better not seeing any white quoting me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.