• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squall

• Enrique523

• Cruel Summer

• PoisonedIvy

9 hours ago, FreeXone said:

She is. She embodies it ALL. Her pen game does not equate why she has been thrusted so far into the pop stratosphere. I don’t care. I really dislike her for what she represents. No artist of color would go as far as she has with what she has given but I digress. Not her fault. Just the way this country has and always be built. 

Saying this while having the most talentless pathetic excuse of an "artist", Rihanna in the sig...

The jokes write themselves lmao

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, FreeXone said:

She is. She embodies it ALL. Her pen game does not equate why she has been thrusted so far into the pop stratosphere. I don’t care. I really dislike her for what she represents. No artist of color would go as far as she has with what she has given but I digress. Not her fault. Just the way this country has and always be built. 

@Ryan is this user banned? Why was @Cleanromanticbanned for their comment on the first page and this user has free pass to post sh*t like this for days? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cleanromantic said:

My very popular post on the very first page (which just crossed 100 likes) got me warned and banned for two days for trolling. The reasons given were: 

Wtf?  You got warned for that post?  I see people almost daily saying Asians are obsessed with whiteness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BtDecember said:

Ohhh I remember when I got a warning a few months ago for "attacking" a certain artist even though my comment is very general, yet the one person who is attacking Taylor and her skin colour and who got tons of downvotes and reports didn't get any warning points.

Anyways, excellent numbers to the award-winning singer-songwriter-producer-multi-instrumentalist-director Taylor Swift :clap3: ATRL can't take that away

6 hours ago, wastedpotential said:

I think it's incredibly ironic that it's perfectly okay for users to call Swifties Nazis, but when Swifties make obvious jokes about the composition of their own fanbase and the distribution of their own fave's success in a mockery of the common complaints of obsessed haters, it's belligerent trolling and antagonization. Maybe instead of referring to Swifties as 15 year old white girls, you should instead refer to them with the (evidently so accurate that it's unpunishable) label of Nazis. Perhaps that's how to avoid punishment. 

38 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

@Ryan is this user banned? Why was @Cleanromanticbanned for their comment on the first page and this user has free pass to post sh*t like this for days? 

thank you for bringing this up!  I got a 2 day ban during adeles release week for saying the album was "boring after loving her old albums",  that was literally all I said and it's not the only time petty things like that have happened and all you hear when you bring it up is how wrong YOU are.

Apparently we can't even complain of WPs in HQ or anywhere and if we even dare complain, we get more and a 3 day ban to add to it.

I guess being unprofessional and biased and having multiple complaints against you  gets you your own emoji  instead of any consequences 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do think it’s still possible for 1989 TV to beat Midnights - the pure sales are the key here, and Taylor Nation actively tweeting about it could help. It might miss the mark by just a little in SEA, but with the right pure sales in the back end of the week here, it could just barely pull through with the win. And I know it totally doesn’t matter either way, but it would be a really cool full-circle moment for 1989 to take back the biggest debut.

9 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

It’s misplaced frustration. Taylor is a benefactor of the racial history of the US but she is not the only one. Madonna, Britney, Gaga, pretty much 90% of the women this site stans all hold the same Caucasian birthrights that Taylor wields. But that’s where it ends. Everything else each person accomplishes is the result of their talent and hard work. if money and privilege were all it took Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson would have gone on to be the queens of pop :rip: 

I can understand how Britney and Madonna went as far as they did. Gaga too. They all had iconic looks, iconic performances, iconic videos, iconic songs. They became a STAPLE in what they did. Taylor lacks much of that to me. That’s why I feel mediocrity is being rewarded. She somehow was able to conduct the PERFECT STORM. No other artist in history has like she has. That’s my bewilderment in how she is still breaking records with 1989. Her sales and appeal will def be studied if it isn’t already. 

She’s literally the biggest example ever of the all American gal. Madonna, Britney and Gaga didn’t have that. They had this edge.  She is safe and family friendly. And just so all American wholesome. 

9 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

Rihanna is RIGHT THERE. Literally zero talent, doesn't even play any instruments or writes her own songs like Taylor yet she is one of the most successful female artists in history. Stop acting as if black artists cannot get a free pass for being talentless, they ABSOLUTELY can :toofunny3:

11 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Rihanna went pretty damn far with way less talent than Taylor. That doesn’t NEGATE the reality that white people are born with a head start over people of color, but come on now. If ANY mediocre white girl with a guitar and a middle class family could dominate the music industry.. why on earth is Taylor the ONLY white woman doing so right now? For the past 10 years honestly. Maybe, just maybe, it’s because she IS NOT mediocre. She is an exceptional songwriter and composer and you are seriously letting a personal bias cloud your view of that.

It is unfortunate that people of color aren’t awarded the privileges that white people are born with. But white privilege is the lack of obstacles, not guaranteed success. There’s actual white mediocrity out there and their (lack of) success is reflective of that. 

Rihanna went far but is still nowhere near the level of success and sales Taylor has had in the states. Rihanna also has a VERY distinct tone and voice and an ear for pop hits while also probably being one of the most versatile musicians of the 21st century. She has done pop, rock, edm,disco reggae, hip hop, all with model looks. She could literally collab with almost ANYONE. Most artist can’t cross over like she has been able to.
And some could even argue colorism played a factor. She has lighter skin for a black person, exotic features and light eyes. Some could say a darker skinned black woman would not have been given the same grace and accepted. 

Edited by FreeXone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 10

21 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

I can understand how Britney and Madonna went as far as they did. Gaga too. They all had iconic looks, iconic performances, iconic videos, iconic songs. They became a STAPLE in what they did. Taylor lacks much of that to me. That’s why I feel mediocrity is being rewarded. She somehow was able to conduct the PERFECT STORM. No other artist in history has like she has. 

She’s literally the biggest example ever of the all American gal. Madonna, Britney and Gaga didn’t have that. They had this edge. She is super safe and family friendly. And just so all American wholesome. I think that’s my turn off. 

See but that’s the problem. You not understanding why Taylor has gotten as far as she’s done does not make her mediocre.

There are more ways to become a legendary artist than to have “iconic performances, looks, or videos.” (Taylor does have iconic songs so I’m not even going to include that as if it’s something she lacks.)

Taylor is not “the Queen of pop” because she doesn’t play to the iconography that pop stardom typically calls for in artists like MJ, Madonna, Britney or Gaga. She doesn’t sit in that category because she was something else long before she was a pop star: Taylor is a MUSICIAN, a COMPOSER, a SONGWRITER — and therefore sits in the category of legendary songwriters like Paul McCartney & John Lennon of the Beatles, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, and so on and so forth.

One category is not better or worse than the other, by the way. They coexist. They excel in different fields. No one expects Stevie Nicks to dance like Janet and no one expects Janet to write like Bruce Springsteen. All of these artists are legends for different reasons, and you can’t expect them to only do things that YOU feel make them “good enough.”

TLDR: You’re viewing her as “mediocre” because you’re expecting her to be something she’s not, and she’s not meeting the expectations you’re holding her to. Shift your expectations to understand what she is as an artist and you’ll realize she’s exceptional at what SHE is trying to do, not what you’re wishing she would do. 

Rihanna went far but is still nowhere near the level of success and sales Taylor has had in the states. Rihanna also has a VERY distinct tone and voice and an ear for pop hits while also probably being one of the most versatile musicians of the 21st century. She has done pop, rock, edm,disco reggae, hip hop, all with model looks. And some could even argue colorism played a factor. She has lighter skin for a black person, exotic features and light eyes. Some could say a darker skinned black woman would not have been given the same grace and accepted. 

You’re right that minorities in art (or any field) aren’t given grace that their white peers are. And you’re right Rihanna benefits from colorism. None of these social issues are the fault of Taylor or indicate anything about her talent though. Like I mentioned, there are ACTUAL talentless white women who attempt to put out music and are met with lukewarm reception. Their careers never even get off the ground because even with all the privilege in the world, a person is only going to succeed if they’re actually skilled or talented at what they do.  

Edited by PoisonedIvy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

And for what it’s worth, Britney was also just an “all American girl” when she started out. The unfortunate circumstances of her personal and professional life are what gave her that “edge” that people reference, but it was a tragedy. We shouldn’t look for artists to be scrutinized to the point of mental breakdowns just so they can have a rough image that isn’t so cookie cutter. We should celebrate the fact Taylor has handled astronomical levels of fame and notoriety with a steadfast heart and mind. We should be happy that she has a support system and family that save her from falling into the dark places other legendary artists have fallen to in the past. And we should hope her example is a beacon of hope for artists in the future to follow so that we have less Amy Winehouse’s or Lindsey Lohan’s falling victim to the darkness of their industries. 

• Like 9

The way i keep going back to i know places :jonnycat:

A fantasy style music video for this song would've ended Disney's live actions im afraid 

• ATRL Moderator

I wonder if Reputation will continue with the trend of each TV outselling the last, or it 1989 will be the peak 

57 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

I can understand how Britney and Madonna went as far as they did. Gaga too. They all had iconic looks, iconic performances, iconic videos, iconic songs. They became a STAPLE in what they did.

And that's why I say you can't call her "white mediocrity" just because she's not your taste. All you have described here are personal preferences and what you look for in an artist. Everyone does not evaluate the music scene through that prism. And that's a blessing. 

You will not argue that Joni Mitchell is mediocre because she doesn't have "iconic looks, performances and videos". 

As far as iconic songs go, how objective can this really be when you are in a thread of a re-release  outdoing the original album 10 years later? Can you really objectively say no one knows Black Space : song and video? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

2 hours ago, Starchild said:

thank you for bringing this up!  I got a 2 day ban during adeles release week for saying the album was "boring after loving her old albums",  that was literally all I said and it's not the only time petty things like that have happened and all you hear when you bring it up is how wrong YOU are.

Apparently we can't even complain of WPs in HQ or anywhere and if we even dare complain, we get more and a 3 day ban to add to it.

I guess being unprofessional and biased and having multiple complaints against you  gets you your own emoji  instead of any consequences 

This ain't new

Same happened to me multiple time

We aren't allowed to say anything here and the other fanbases can do whatever they want. 

I have simply stopped engaging 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreeXone said:

I can understand how Britney and Madonna went as far as they did. Gaga too. They all had iconic looks, iconic performances, iconic videos, iconic songs. They became a STAPLE in what they did. Taylor lacks much of that to me. That’s why I feel mediocrity is being rewarded. She somehow was able to conduct the PERFECT STORM. No other artist in history has like she has. That’s my bewilderment in how she is still breaking records with 1989. Her sales and appeal will def be studied if it isn’t already. 

She’s literally the biggest example ever of the all American gal. Madonna, Britney and Gaga didn’t have that. They had this edge.  She is safe and family friendly. And just so all American wholesome. 

Madonna and Gaga are very talented musicians. Both play instruments and have done a lot of shocking/crazy things to stay relevant (although Gaga's shocking phase ended with ARTPOP and she has since course corrected to repair her image). Gaga is also a very talented vocalist. They are also two women who are very much in control of their career and their music, just like Taylor is. She plays multiple instruments, writes everything she puts out, works extremely hard, etc. We don't care about "iconic" dresses and **** like that. At the end of the day, it is about the music. 

Taylor is not a Madonna/Gaga type of pop star anyway. She is essentially a Joni Mitchell/Bob Dylan/Carole King type of artist who makes pop music. She is not visual focused like the other two but instead focuses on songwriting and world building throughout her catalog. It is part of the reason why she has arguably the most consumed back catalog in history

1 hour ago, FreeXone said:

Rihanna went far but is still nowhere near the level of success and sales Taylor has had in the states. Rihanna also has a VERY distinct tone and voice and an ear for pop hits while also probably being one of the most versatile musicians of the 21st century. She has done pop, rock, edm,disco reggae, hip hop, all with model looks. She could literally collab with almost ANYONE. Most artist can’t cross over like she has been able to.
And some could even argue colorism played a factor. She has lighter skin for a black person, exotic features and light eyes. Some could say a darker skinned black woman would not have been given the same grace and accepted. 

Rihanna has literally sold more digital singles that anyone in history. She seems like a nice lady but she is not a great vocalist, does not do intricate choreo, does not write, does not produce, does not compose and she cannot play any instruments. She literally shows up, hears a demo, enters the recording booth and mimics that demo singer and leaves. Unlike Madonna and Gaga who you mentioned above. It's comical you are going to bat for someone who is as musically talentless as Rihanna but trying to drag someone who writes, produces, plays instruments, etc. because they're white and successful :deadbanana: You are also correct on the colorism points with Rihanna, but why is that on Taylor? There are far[ more white pop girls who are not musically talented in the slightest who see huge success

Edited by Raspberries
  • Like 8

53 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

I wonder if Reputation will continue with the trend of each TV outselling the last, or it 1989 will be the peak 

Swifties are scary and passionate. They can make it happen :duca:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxygen said:

I would not expect reputation to outdo 1989 considering the original version is behind 1989 on pretty every sales metric (even streaming despite 1989 not being available for years and being an older album). 

• Like 1

So I got two warning in same thread and one even came after I stoppee. It's hilarious. People started bashing me first there too. So this is hypocrisy! 

Edited by adylovestaylorandjb

Guys… stop feeding the troll. Move it to a base chat if you must, but let’s keep this one on the rails.

OT: I absolutely think this can/will pass Midnights debut, everytime ive doubted Taylor’s power I’ve been proven wrong.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

OT: I absolutely think this can/will pass Midnights debut, everytime ive doubted Taylor’s power I’ve been proven wrong.

This is the biggest reason I still think it has a shot. Every time I think she can’t do a thing, she immediately does it and I feel like a clown :chick1:

Did everyone try the chicken? 

I thought the chicken was lovely! 

Are we getting an update on the sales prediction, cause chi... at this point this thread is... :zzz:

• Haha 1

And did you think I didn't see you?
There were flashin' lights
At least I had the decency
To keep my nights out of sight
Only rumors 'bout my hips and thighs
And my whispered sighs

spacer.png

It’s at least 1.3M up until Tuesday at midnight. I doubt she can move another 300k units in 2 days to surpass midnights 

Just now, Ms. Togekiss said:

It’s at least 1.3M up until Tuesday at midnight. I doubt she can move another 300k units in 2 days to surpass midnights 

Yeah. 150k more? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.