18 dead and 13 injured in Maine mass shooting, suspect found dead by suicide from gun

Espresso

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• BeenTheShit

• St. Charles

• Bears01

52 minutes ago, AMIT said:

from 14:16 onwards there is a good summary of this issue and maybe a good way to answer your question, this video was the first time I had seen someone addressing this subject from a sociological perspective

This is a fantastic video, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

With or without guns, until we decide as a Nation to non-violent in our environmental, educational, economic, social, political, religious, and foreign policies etc, more & more of these things will continue to happen.

Violence has and always will be a problem in this country. Doesn't matter how many gun laws we pass, those who want to spread death in the streets, shops, and homes will find means to do it. Banning guns won't stop criminals and mentally unstable people from finding a weapon to do harm. We should pass sensible gun laws yes, but understand that we're not going to magically put an end to mass shootings anytime soon. I see a future where guns registered to an individual scans their biometrics and stress levels within a second in order to activate and that same gun won't activate in public spaces. I know that sounds very sci-fi, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a possibility 30 years down the line.

We need to seriously address mental health in this country, but in order to do that we'd have to first address our healthcare system. It's not sustainable and continues to spiral millions of Americans into unreasonable debt for simply living.  

I want to know more about the lives we lost than the pathetic scumbag that decided to gun down defenseless people in cold blood. 

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Oh, you said casualties...

Casualties includes injuries. I also thought for a long time it meant deaths only but the term includes both death and injuries. A death count will be referred to explicitly as a death count. 

In two weeks no one will remember

It is similar to violence here in Brazil, we are so used to that we forget fast as a way to keep on living

Wild for me because I used to live there. I saw that he was possibly headed to a bar like 40 feet from my old place but it was closed. I have so many friends in the area and one of them reached out to my mom to tell her she works beside one of the places he hit. All mass murder is wild but it sucks when it hits home. 

How awful and enraging.

RIP to the innocent victims who were just out and about living their life. Please God let those who are injured/battling for their life at a hospital able to make a full recovery. 

3 hours ago, AMIT said:

from 14:16 onwards there is a good summary of this issue and maybe a good way to answer your question, this video was the first time I had seen someone addressing this subject from a sociological perspective

They need to stop glamorizing those movies. I literally hate the joker idk why anyone finds that character appealing. And a new one is coming out next year, a whole another generation of perturbed white men will want to mimic that.

13 minutes ago, qegqeg said:

So he just vanished? :deadbanana4:

gurl Maine is WOODS with towns etched into them. 

He easily could dip anywhere.

2 hours ago, Jormungand said:

Violence has and always will be a problem in this country. Doesn't matter how many gun laws we pass, those who want to spread death in the streets, shops, and homes will find means to do it. Banning guns won't stop criminals and mentally unstable people from finding a weapon to do harm. We should pass sensible gun laws yes, but understand that we're not going to magically put an end to mass shootings anytime soon.

But the thing is most of these mass shootings are lone wolf-style attackers. In a country with gun regulations, yes criminals gangs can still get guns, but they're not really the people carrying out mass shootings on ordinary people. The types of people committing these mass shootings are opportunists. The easy access they have to guns allows them to commit these atrocities. If it wasn't possible to just buy a gun in a shop, a lot of these crimes would not happen. Yeah maybe they'd grab a kitchen knife and start randomly stabbing people, but the casualties from a crime like that are significantly less than one involving a semi-automatic weapon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Comedor said:

I’d move to another country how can y’all live in constant fear. 

Literally why my bf doesn’t want to visit the US.

2 hours ago, Jormungand said:

Violence has and always will be a problem in this country. Doesn't matter how many gun laws we pass, those who want to spread death in the streets, shops, and homes will find means to do it. Banning guns won't stop criminals and mentally unstable people from finding a weapon to do harm. We should pass sensible gun laws yes, but understand that we're not going to magically put an end to mass shootings anytime soon. I see a future where guns registered to an individual scans their biometrics and stress levels within a second in order to activate and that same gun won't activate in public spaces. I know that sounds very sci-fi, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a possibility 30 years down the line.

We need to seriously address mental health in this country, but in order to do that we'd have to first address our healthcare system. It's not sustainable and continues to spiral millions of Americans into unreasonable debt for simply living.  

I want to know more about the lives we lost than the pathetic scumbag that decided to gun down defenseless people in cold blood. 

You should check what Australia did.

ZERO cases ever since. 

And mental health comes with health insurance which the US are clowns about in 2023. I’m SHOCKED people haven’t created a civil war over this. 

Edited by Lana Banana

Hope he rots in hell

OP updated with suspect ID.

If I’m away when he’s caught, someone just get a mod to update the title. :coffee2: 

1 hour ago, glitch said:

But the thing is most of these mass shootings are lone wolf-style attackers. In a country with gun regulations, yes criminals gangs can still get guns, but they're not really the people carrying out mass shootings on ordinary people. The types of people committing these mass shootings are opportunists. The easy access they have to guns allows them to commit these atrocities. If it wasn't possible to just buy a gun in a shop, a lot of these crimes would not happen. Yeah maybe they'd grab a kitchen knife and start randomly stabbing people, but the casualties from a crime like that are significantly less than one involving a semi-automatic weapon.

I do take issue with things like gun shops and I agree that someone shouldn't be able to just walk into a grocery store and walk out with a semi-automatic. Even if you took guns out of the equation, violence in this country would still be a problem. You can kill scores of people with your car and if you're a skilled hunter or soldier, you can still kill a number of people with a hunting knife, maybe not as efficient as you would with a semi-automatic.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/asia/japan-knife-attack-sentence-hnk-intl/index.html 

1 hour ago, Lana Banana said:

You should check what Australia did.

ZERO cases ever since. 

And mental health comes with health insurance which the US are clowns about in 2023. I’m SHOCKED people haven’t created a civil war over this. 

What Australia did is impressive, but the US and Australia are culturally and politically oceans apart. I wish it did not fall on states to pass sensible and effective gun laws. Most of our dementia patients in Congress are beholden to NRA and co. Even if one state passes sensible gun laws, how effective is it really if you're able to buy a gun in the next state over from a street vendor? We actually have a gun buyback program in many cities throughout the country, but for every gun these buyback programs get off the street, I'd argue there's probably 1000 more.

I don't think people understand how many registered guns and ghost guns we have in the US. We have more guns in this country then we do people, so the idea of trying to confiscate even a quarter of the guns out there is not feasible because you're talking 100+ million guns that would need to be bought and paid for by the federal government vs the 650,000+ that Australia managed to buyback. Good luck trying to convince someone like Cletus on why he should willingly give his weapons to Uncle Sam. 

6 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Civilians do not need AR-15s, but Americans by and large tend to have main character syndrome-related delusions about government overreach, so they'll fantasize about the government laying siege to their homes and the only way they'd be able to take any agents down with them would be if they could shoot them back with an assault weapon.

I could go off on my soapbox on this but i don’t have the energy. I don’t know if this country will ever truly be ready to have that cultural conversation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.