Is modern society worse than original society?

Revolution

We should go back to living as hunter-gatherers in forests and stuff. At least everyday you exercise, see nature and get to do cool things like collect food and water. 

In modern capitalist society, we just buy disposable things and barely connect with people and nature. It's just stupid and monotonous. I don't think all of the technology and stuff really matters.

Do you agree?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

I didn't die of mild sickness or as an infant so no. Modern society is deeply flawed and infested with capitalist parasites but it's infinitely preferable to pre-civilization society. :giraffe:

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I didn't die of mild sickness or as an infant so no. Modern society is deeply flawed and infested with capitalist parasites but it's infinitely preferable to pre-civilization society. :giraffe:

We're gonna die anyway bestie. I'd rather die than among living things and beautiful nature.

I kinda get your point and I believe I share the sentiment but being realistic, seems like a romantization of the past.

Also, the term "original society" kinda threw me off lol like we're in the capitalist remix

• Like 1

I love nature and I agree that humans need to reconnect with nature including in a spiritual way. Personally I pray to Earth, to the Moon, to the Sun. I pray to the Goddess and to God (not abrahamic God). That being said I'm glad I live in 2023 especially as a gay guy. I couldn't survive without the internet, modern medicine etc.

Edited by Anthinos
  • Like 1

Yes and no. I think in some ways we overcomplicate our life and the stress just makes us miserable. On the other hand living in a society has relieved us from a lot of burdens of living alone or in the wild

• Like 2

The biggest problem in modern day society in my opinion is the lack of community feel. Individualism brings people in isolation which only further divides people which gives people this intrinsic need to have something to blame for their problems. That’s how you create hostile societies. We all need to look out for each other more

Edited by Love Again
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I think it’s better in a lot of ways, but I do sometimes wish I lived in earlier times tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Anthinos said:

I love nature and I agree that humans need to reconnect with nature including in a spiritual way. Personally I pray to Earth, to the Moon, to the Sun. I pray to the Goddess and to God (not abrahamic God). That being said I'm glad I live in 2023 especially as a gay guy. I couldn't survive without the internet, modern medicine etc.

In most early human civilisations ‘homosexuality’ (which didn’t exist as a concept) wasn’t frowned upon, neither was different gender expressions. You can see it in a lot of indigenous peoples now with their existing third gender

However Christianity complicated a lot of things

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, Cain said:

In most early human civilisations ‘homosexuality’ (which didn’t exist as a concept) wasn’t frowned upon, neither was different gender expressions. You can see it in a lot of indigenous peoples now with their existing third gender

But all of these tribes really have a strong concept of masculinity and what this means in the society. A concept as gay marriage has never existed too. 

• Thanks 1

We all have no idea what it would be like to live without modern conveniences. Our lives are sooo much easier in so many ways than our ancestors that we take for granted because it’s all we’ve known

No running water, an entire family living in a single room home that has maybe one chair in it and some straw mattresses, constant threats of violence and being robbed. Like I’m gonna tell you right now after a few days ALL of us would be wanting to return to 2023 lol

No, I like shitting indoors. 

Edited by Communion
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Anthinos said:

Spirituality is high-key underrated nowadays and I don't think people know just how much it is beneficial to life. Now I'm not talking about organized religion so don't get it twisted, girlies 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cain said:

Please use some examples from the past? Because every example that I have of homosexuality from the past is actually horrible. As in, being the bottom was used in a demoralizing way. Femininity was seen as weak and less than masculinity. And older men taking on young boys was another bases of homosexuality. 

All of this predates Christianity. A lot of romanticizing, and use of the noble savage is in this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No, humans are savages.  Only modern civilization  allows us to pretend to be "deep/sophisticated/good/spiritual" and makes living bearable. I rather be depressed while eating pasta and chocolate than spend my whole life eating f****** berries and grass  :rip:

• Like 1

I think we need to contemplate more on "love", try to work on its definition and try to approach it from a different perspective than of consumerist and patriarchal ones. 

There are many things terribly wrong with life today, but I am happy to take them all in exchange for plumbing, antibiotics and anaesthesia. I think dying from random infections, having basically no real painkillers available even for medical procedures, and having to **** in a bucket and then dump it outside every day would quickly become more of a problem than anything today. I will take having to work a 40 hour week over that. Also the fact that we can basically go anywhere in the world for an achievable amount of $$$ in a way that's basically totally safe (airplane travel, the safest form of mass transport and one of the miracles of modern day humanity). At any other point in history any kind of long-distance travel was very dangerous and stupidly expensive and needed a ton of people. Even royalty had to spend months in a caravan or a rickety wooden ship to go anywhere far away. And then maybe randomly die because they cut their foot. Most people lived and died in their town.

Edited by Psyduck

4 hours ago, Revolution said:

We're gonna die anyway bestie. I'd rather die than among living things and beautiful nature.

But you can do that now by walking to a park or driving to a beach... AND not die after eating meat that wasn't properly stored because refrigerators don't exist. Or randomly get smallpox and be in horrific pain and scarred for life. Or you get an infection in your hand and then it gangrenes because no antibiotics so you have to get amputated, without anaesthesia because it doesn't exist.

Edited by Psyduck

You can still be a hunter in the forest and live in a cave and bring you cellphone so you can live both lives.

4 hours ago, Tropez said:

Please use some examples from the past? Because every example that I have of homosexuality from the past is actually horrible. As in, being the bottom was used in a demoralizing way. Femininity was seen as weak and less than masculinity. And older men taking on young boys was another bases of homosexuality. 

All of this predates Christianity. A lot of romanticizing, and use of the noble savage is in this thread. 

Omg this, the amount of man-on-man rape in the Greek and early Roman empire was insane. You were always a prisoner or a literal boy, not some girlboss prostitute. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.