Was Voldemort a bad villian?

poki

Hey. So it's well known The Prisoner of Azkaban is the most beloved of the Harry Potter books / movies. This is the only one where Voldemort doesn't appear. 

Does this mean Voldemort was a bad villian? 

Well known by who? It certainly wasn’t my favorite.

He’s a little one-dimensional at times, maybe, and I have no special need to give Rowling extra credit given her later history, but I think he was pretty effective for what the story needed, for what the franchise was, and for the target audience.

• Like 1

Honestly would’ve liked them to make dumbledore the villain. He was bad just not as bad as Voldemort. Couldn’t stand his manipulative ass. 

• Haha 2

He is in the movies. His character in the books is a little more complex. The final battle between him and Harry especially was played out differently in the books which showed his human side. The movies made him seen like an entity rather than a human being that got corrupted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cameltoe Chariot

Nah, he was a great villain. And kind of prophetic in a way now knowing the rabbit hole Rowling herself has fallen down :biblionana:

The movies glossed over his origin story, which makes up the bulk of the 6th book Half Blood Prince. I think people make a lot of their judgements towards the series based off of the movies, which is too bad because the books are MUCH more complex than what ended up on screen.

Looking forward to the HBO re-adaptation.

Oh, and trans rights are human rights :sistrens:

• Like 3

the 3rd movie is considered the best because alfonso is the best director the series has ever seen, his take was so unique and had so much style and charm to it. compare it to something like the goblet of fire movie which is just... let me not! the last act is great but the rest... 

voldy is fine, he was a bit too one-dimensional in the movies but that's hollywood, he had a lot more going on for him in the bewks. 

• Like 1

The Prisoner of Azkaban is also my favourite movie in the franchise but that doesn’t take away from Voldemort as a villain. I really enjoyed him and I’m excited to see how he’s adapted in the upcoming HBO show as I’m sure we’ll see his character developed even more. 

He who must not be named is so hunty, yas gawd mama house down boots! 

spacer.png

Edited by The Man Who

28 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

According to who? :deadbanana:

I'm pretty sure most people prefer that movie

45 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

According to who? :deadbanana:

Idk about the book, but the 3rd movie is usually ranked as the best one in the franchise.

1 hour ago, RideOrDie said:

the 3rd movie is considered the best because alfonso is the best director the series has ever seen, his take was so unique and had so much style and charm to it. compare it to something like the goblet of fire movie which is just... let me not! the last act is great but the rest... 

voldy is fine, he was a bit too one-dimensional in the movies but that's hollywood, he had a lot more going on for him in the bewks. 

It also helps that Voldemort's involvement in the story is at a franchise-minimum in the 3rd book/movie…

IMG-2127.jpg

26 minutes ago, GentleEarthquake said:

I'm pretty sure most people prefer that movie

6 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Idk about the book, but the 3rd movie is usually ranked as the best one in the franchise.

Damn I really didn't know that. For me it's one of the weaker entries 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jotham said:

Tbh I actually find Umbridge to be the best villain in the series. :priceless:

Love her, she's kinda giving LGBT icon

1 hour ago, Jotham said:

Tbh I actually find Umbridge to be the best villain in the series. :priceless:

She ate him up despite a shorter era, I fear.

He was okay? I think a "good villain" is one that at several points in a book or movie series can conflict you into thinking they're actually the anti-hero and have you rooting for them somewhat. Or not have their story-arc be so obvious that they're going to ultimately lose in the end - and that wasn't explored enough with Voldemort. Yeah they humanised him a lot more in the books and even in the movies I like how they played out showing his progression from Tom to Voldemort, but I don't think they ever made his goal make sense enough for people to be on his side. And considering the nature of the name of the series you know Harry would prevail in the end anyway.

He isn't bad but not my favourite villain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katamari said:

JK is more of villian now than he ever was :heart:

The thumbs down. She has stans here?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Prisoner of Azkaban is visually stunning  but soo boring. You have time travel tool and use it for...that? :biblio:

I liked his backstory in the 6th book. The implication that he was a sociopath because he was conceived while his father was under the effect of a love potion was so interesting.

QBdZpDm.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.