Midnights is one year old today. Thoughts on it now?

Treason

Midnights One-Year Anniversary  

223 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the album today?

• It's aged excellently. I enjoy every single song and barely skip anything.
    • It's a decent album with some skips.
    • It's a mid album. I only listen to a few songs from it.
    • It's a bad album. One of her worst.
  2. 2. Where does it rank in her discography?

• It's her best album.
    • It's her second-best album.
    • It's her third-best album.
    • It's her fourth-best album.
    • It's her fifth-best album.
    • It's her sixth-best album.
    • It's her seventh-best album.
    • It's her eighth-best album.
    • It's her ninth-best album.
    • It's her worst album.

9 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

I deleted SIO and Bad Blood off the tracklist and put New Romantics in BB's spot. It's one of my favorite pop albums of the 2010s decade! 

Many great points were made but I wanted to highlight this because New Romantics is in the top 3 of the album alongside Blank Space and Style. I personally put it as track 1 in place of WTNY and then end up with a perfect 1-2-3 punch opening :clap3: 

8 minutes ago, Love Again said:

It just depends on what you value in an album/song. I get that Swifties might have 1989 lower in their ranking due it being more ubiquitous in its lyrics but it makes sense why non Swifties would have it higher in their ranking considering it’s a fantastic pop record and has aged exceptionally well

Yeah I definitely have always understood that 1989 scratches the itch of the general/ non-Swiftie population. It’s why I have a hard time “ranking” 1989 because for me it’s bottom 3 with Lover and Debut but that seems so blasphemous when it’s probably her #1 or #2 most adored album on a greater public scale, with only Red and MAYBE folklore having the same level of almost universal acclaim.  :rip: 

3 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

I don't know, maybe. Thing is I'm used to good lyrics, like Jewel, Fiona Apple or even Alanis. I just cant with stuff like "my karma is a cat" lol

Red, folklore, and evermore overall have the lyricism you might appreciate. At least I’d hope so! I recommend Treacherous from Red, mirrorball from folklore, and ivy from evermore — If you do want at least a simple starting point, someday. You can ignore her pop singles because they’re definitely catering to radio. Her deep cuts are where her songwriting truly shines 

Edited by PoisonedIvy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• Solaria

• Bosque

• Treason

It's a great album. I revisit it every few weeks and get hooked on it all over again. It's a very easy listen and flows together nicely, super chill to vibe to. I'd rank it 4th on my list behind folklore, evermore, and 1989 

17 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Red, folklore, and evermore overall have the lyricism you might appreciate. At least I’d hope so! I recommend Treacherous from Red, mirrorball from folklore, and ivy from evermore — If you do want at least a simple starting point, someday. You can ignore her pop singles because they’re definitely catering to radio. Her deep cuts are where her songwriting truly shines 

Since u are being so nice to me even though I criticized ur fave - people really should act like u, when the criticism is polite - I would save it and give it a listen later today!

I'm so tired of not being able to speak about some artists because fans have the God complex and will try to get me banned that it was refreshing the way u react!

See, sometimes we have more trouble with a fanbase and not so much with the artist, I'm sure u can see it in ur own life with some fanbases lol.

It’s a decent album with some skips, and it’s her fourth best album (after RED, 1989, and Evermore).

Would've Could've Should've, The Great War and You Are on Your Own Kids are the trinity :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

Since u are being so nice to me even though I criticized ur fave - people really should act like u, when the criticism is polite - I would save it and give it a listen later today!

I'm so tired of not being able to speak about some artists because fans have the God complex and will try to get me banned that it was refreshing the way u react!

See, sometimes we have more trouble with a fanbase and not so much with the artist, I'm sure u can see it in ur own life with some fanbases lol.

Yeah I know a lot of fans don’t appreciate their favorite artist being criticized. Music is subjective and even if you don’t like ANYTHING after listening it doesn’t mean you should be antagonized for it. While I do hope you listen and enjoy, it’s ok if you don’t. I appreciate that you’re even willing to try! 

I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with fanbases that don’t handle criticism well, it’s never serious enough to try to get someone banned :gaycat6: But all I can do is personally do what I can to try and create a positive environment for discussion whenever I engage with someone here :hug: 

31 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Yeah I definitely have always understood that 1989 scratches the itch of the general/ non-Swiftie population. It’s why I have a hard time “ranking” 1989 because for me it’s bottom 3 with Lover and Debut but that seems so blasphemous when it’s probably her #1 or #2 most adored album on a greater public scale, with only Red and MAYBE folklore having the same level of almost universal acclaim.  :rip: 

Sis... you really think Fearless is better than 1989??? 

moo.png

Maroon :heart: / Karma / The Great War / Bigger Than the Whole Sky :heart: / Would've, Could've, Should've

loves it x

1 minute ago, Love Again said:

Sis... you really think Fearless is better than 1989??? 

moo.png

I think 1989 might have higher highs in “pop” music but I also enjoy country music (what can I say, I grew up in Texas) and Fearless is basically a perfect album within its own genre so truthfully yeah lol.

• Like 1

I was just listening to it last night. :chick2:

It's a decent album with a lot of good songs, but I wish Taylor stuck with her theme of "sleepless nights" and introspection. Instead, the theming seems inconsistent and several of the song feel like they fit better on other albums.

I was never a fan of Pop Taylor, because Country Taylor suits my taste, but among her pop releases, I’d say Midnights is one of her weaker pop releases because some song sounds like a rehash of reputation and lover. My pop preferences would be : Lover > 1989 > Midnights > Reputation

Edited by Støned

This album will always have a special place in my heart.

I was listening to it in korea and QUESTION? was my jam. 

my 2.5yrs rship was at its peak 
and then we broke up a month later

It’s grown on me tremendously. It’s probably my least favorite album just because all the other ones have stronger memories and higher highs for me but at least she truly doesn’t have a bad album

MId tier in her discography but still a good album.

Not completely tragic as I first thought but still an extremely safe project and that just doesn’t excite me anymore 4/10

I did not like it upon release, even after many repeat listens. Still can’t really explain why.

It has since grown on me and I rank it somewhere in the middle of her catalog. 

A good pop album, 1989 has more skips but it has style and blank space so it edges it out, otherwise better than lover and reputation 

I think my first ever Taylor project after red where I sat through and listened to it in full, would’ve could’ve and you’re on your own kid are really great songs I’ve never listened to 3AM edition so I cannot comment on that but overall it’s an okay project imo. 
Great her fans are able to enjoy it, for me country pop Taylor was the greatest Taylor but then I was a kid and liked speak now a lot.

I’d say it’s a really good pop album, not her best though. My main problem with it is thinking about what it could have been (especially after folkmore) because in a way she went back to overanalyzing what a pop album should sound like and didn’t just let go and get carried away by her artistry.

It would rank much higher for me if she had gone entirely in the lofi/experimental route of “Maroon”, “Midnight Rain”, “Labyrinth” and “Dear Reader”. Those songs really broke new ground for her and showcase her songwriting in a modern way, but I feel like it’s all weighed down by “Question…?” or “Vigilante ****”.

Other gems like YOYOK and SOTB succeeded as ethereal anthems and fit with the dreamy sound of her pop discography, but should have been taken up a notch and be much more experimental and beat driven for the album to have much more coherence and actually result in a step forward after folkmore.

Either way, it’s a great pop album and I use many of the pure pop songs, but hearing the new Cruel Summer remix makes you realize how adaptable her lyrics and melodies are to a lofi/chill beat and how well they withstand in that soundscape, so I would have loved for her to take it all the way and experiment more with voice effects and stuff.

• Thanks 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.