Midnights is one year old today. Thoughts on it now?

Treason

Midnights One-Year Anniversary  

223 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the album today?

• It's aged excellently. I enjoy every single song and barely skip anything.
    • It's a decent album with some skips.
    • It's a mid album. I only listen to a few songs from it.
    • It's a bad album. One of her worst.
  2. 2. Where does it rank in her discography?

• It's her best album.
    • It's her second-best album.
    • It's her third-best album.
    • It's her fourth-best album.
    • It's her fifth-best album.
    • It's her sixth-best album.
    • It's her seventh-best album.
    • It's her eighth-best album.
    • It's her ninth-best album.
    • It's her worst album.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• Solaria

• Bosque

• Treason

Definitely not her best album but a decent, solid one. I love how the songs range from emotional and sad to upbeat fun songs, and it all fits nicely together.

It's alright, not the biggest fan but it gave us a couple of career highlights so there's that :heart:

28 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Grown on me immensely. I was in the camp of panning it upon release but over time you start to realize how many songs of it get stuck in your head, how easy listening they are and how they can be listened to at any place any time. This is truly her STREAMING album, she made the right choice in genres and sounds for this one.

Rep, 1989 & Red remain my trinity but this is definitely fourth place for me in her dizzie.

100% all of this except replace Reputation with Folklore. 

I think it’s very mid, especially after all of the hype Taylor got as a musician/songwriter during the folkmore era. It really doesn’t have a single stand out track in it, everything sounds like it was made by a newly debuted pop artist trying to impersonate Lorde’s melodrama.

If the entire album was on the level of the 3am tracks it would be one of her best.

It’s a great pop album, and I enjoy it so much better than 1989 and Lover. It falls about fifth or sixth in her discography for me but that’s just because the core 4 (SN, Red, Folklore, evermore) are way too strong. I like almost every track, with Question?, Paris, and Mastermind kind of being my least favorite 3 (but even then I can sing along and have a good time.) 

I didn’t really understand some of the negativity it received initially because I’ve loved it from the jump. And I know I’m a stan but I didn’t love Lover upon release and I still don’t love it now so.. :coffee2:

Lavender Madre, Godroon and You're On Your Own, King alone puts it at #3 for me... Her BEST pop album

Still not a fan. There are some cute songs on the standard (AH, LH) though. I do like most of the late night tracks.

It's a good album. I haven't listened to it much in recent months though, the overexposure of her on the news, etc... is kinda turning me off tbh.

Edited by HEAVYONIT

It’s one of her worst albums with a few great tracks.

• ATRL Moderator

Ngl it's kind of a pop bible that I use just about every day. When Maroon comes on WHEW I get floored time and time again :wanda:

When it came out I hated it, then I loved it for a couple months but I kinda overplayed it, now I rarely listen to it tbh. I use YOYOK a lot tho, it's my favourite song of Taylor's I think.

23 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

It’s a great pop album, and I enjoy it so much better than 1989 and Lover. It falls about fifth or sixth in her discography for me but that’s just because the core 4 (SN, Red, Folklore, evermore) are way too strong. I like almost every track, with Question?, Paris, and Mastermind kind of being my least favorite 3 (but even then I can sing along and have a good time.) 

I didn’t really understand some of the negativity it received initially because I’ve loved it from the jump. And I know I’m a stan but I didn’t love Lover upon release and I still don’t love it now so.. :coffee2:

I think part of the reason why it was so negatively received was because of the speculation that it was gonna be a 70s rock sound and that it was gonna be different from what people expected. I know Taylor herself never has said anything about the sound before it got released nor did insiders iirc, but because of the imagery (resembling Joni Mitchell) a lot of people expected an album in the style of Blue, surf rock, etc, you get the gist.

It's hard tbh, because I do like most of the song but I don't feel the need to go back unlike her other albums. I think she can do ballads and midtempos much better than uptempos, reason why her poppier albums are my least favourite (Rep is an outlier).

Lavender Haze sounds great but it's also a bit annoying to me?

Maroon, same, great song but I rarely need to go and listen to it

Anti-Hero is a bop, I'm kind over it

SOTB I've never liked it

YOYOK is one of her best songs ever and my favourite

Midnight Rain I love it, rarely go and listen

Question..? is a fun song, hated it on first listen but I love to sing along, still never do

Vigilante **** sounds like a You Should See Me In A Crown rehash and I've never used it, great performance tho

Bejeweled is a fun song, but nothing memorable 

Labyrinth is more my type because its more on the folklore side, but it would still not be one of the best

Karma.. I don't like it, I find it annoying but the lyrics are fun

Sweet Nothing is one of my favourite, I've been playing it lately, sounds so good after a long day!

Mastermind is a great track, but a bit flat

The Great War is also one of my favourites, I love the lyrics and the song overall but I don't find it memorable

BTTWS I never listen to it because it feels sad, but it's a beautiful song

Paris is a nice bop, never play it tho

High Infidelity is just there

Glitch - I hate it

WCS is another TGW situation for me

Dear Reader, same as Labyrinth 

Hits Different, same as Paris

Edited by ariananext

It’s a good album overall :clap3:Dear Reader, Mastermind, Midnight Rain trinity :clap:

that MC score is a bit too high tho you could say that about a lot of albums :suburban:

It’s a bad album one of the worst.

Her only great pop output was when she worked with those swedish guys imo.

The only time I truly got into the album was last Christmas while me and a friend were putting up decorations whilst h*gh and I vibed to it, that was it! :gaycat5:

But I genuinely go back to “Lavender Haze,” “Maroon,” “Labyrinth,” and “Karma” from time to time.

A heavily cult-base inflated borefest of an album..

For albums that garnered 50+ Weeks on BB200 Top10, you have The Fame, BOMT, WWAFA and 1989.. and then you have MIDnight, what a nonevent compared to those smashes

Edited by Cryptique
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The dislike for it is extremely exaggerated compared to its quality - I mean it’s almost cartoonish, you have people in here implying it’s one of the worst pop records ever. And some people, for whatever reason, still let their initial reactions to the “sexy baby” and “karma is a cat” lines tell them that the whole album should get tossed.

It’s her best pop album. Maybe that changes next week, maybe not, but it showcases lyrical growth and skill, it has its own sonic identity among her pop albums, and it has some of her best songs ever like You’re On Your Own Kid and The Great War. I have always been a Midnights stan since the first LQ leak and I stand by that today after a year of living with and loving the album.

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.