India’s Supreme Court rules against same-sex marriage

Vermillion

The fact that these "powers that be" don't realize that they're a part of the ugly minority that will justifiably fade out in decades to come. 

• Thanks 1

Before this thread gets really messy, kudos to the British newscaster for correctly citing that the law on the books for this is literally from 1860 British colonial rule. :coffee2: 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

Not really shocked but it’s so weird that the government of any country thinks they can decide what the culture of the country is. Culture happens organically. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Before this thread gets really messy, kudos to the British newscaster for correctly citing that the law on the books for this is literally from 1860 British colonial rule. :coffee2: 

And what is India taking so long to change it?:coffee2:

13 minutes ago, Zaram said:

And what is India taking so long to change it?:coffee2:

Great point. What I originally stated and this are not mutually exclusive.

If people want to entertain the hypothetical on whether this would be the case if India hadn’t been under colonial rule at all I think that’s a waste of time, but a lot of shaming by Western governments on this is inherently hypocritical.

Unless people want to get into a discussion on why their reforms haven’t happened more quickly - but even from population size alone I don’t think there’s a worthy discussion to be had on that either.

• Like 1

It's just sad and disgusting how we gays are not allowed to marry etc. because the majority of straights are against it. This is fascism. I don't care what your personal beliefs are but you have no right to tell me how I should live my life. The way they dehumanize us disgusts me so much.

And what culture are they talking about? If they talk about Hindu culture, I'm a follower of "Hinduism" and the sacred texts don't really say anything against homosexuality as long as you don't plan to become a priest. But these people will always find a reason to discriminate us. Religion, culture, nature. Why can't they leave us alone?

• Like 4

Considering how diverse India is how can they define the entire nation's "culture" with one view point 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, burninredhot said:

Considering how diverse India is how can they define the entire nation's "culture" with one view point 

Thank you 

It's more like north India 

normalising sexual assault, femicide and rape is a part of their culture so i’m not expecting much from them 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Yoko said:

normalising sexual assault, femicide and rape is a part of their culture so i’m not expecting much from them 

🤷 

No wonder their population wants to migrate to other countries

nicki-brush

Would this Indian culture they speak of include undercounting femicide and rape statistics in their country?

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if this ruling is overturned in less 10 or so years.

I honestly think even a lot of Muslim countries will end up legalising it in like 50 years max.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.