Anyone work part-time by choice?

naval23

What led you to that decision?

To me, the concept of working 5 days a week to retire at 55 doesn't sound as good as working part time and having more free time in the prime decades of your life (20s, 30s)  which is why part-time just seems appealing to me - even if it means working a few more years past retirement.

Thoughts?

People ik who did this transitioned into starting they own business, care for a sick family member, or had kids and the other parent made more $$$ to cover expenses.

5 minutes ago, naval23 said:

Thoughts?

You can consider working in healthcare. Depending the job you can work less hours or less days.

1 minute ago, Devin said:

You can consider working in healthcare. Depending the job you can work less hours or less days.

I do! Which is why I have the luxury of working part-time which I love but I can't help but have some type of guilt of not following the norm and I'm trying to find my sweet spot of work hours vs. free time 

College and office work at the same time was brutal. I still have the PTSD from the insane stress. I wonder if my hairline will ever recover from those years of constant stress :rip:

I also live with my family and they have no plan to throw me out. I do too much around the house so if I leave, good luck with literally all the house chores. 

I had fun when I did random odd jobs around town. But that's high school pocket money, can't go back to that now. 

So yeah atm I got my part time work from home job, will try to secure it for 2024 as well. I'm also pursuing further education which luckily is no where near the work load of my college years. 

• Like 2

Just now, naval23 said:

I do! Which is why I have the luxury of working part-time which I love but I can't help but have some type of guilt of not following the norm and I'm trying to find my sweet spot of work hours vs. free time 

You are helping people in health care so don't feel guilt :heart2: every little thing counts :smile:

• Like 1

Just now, naval23 said:

I used to work healthcare. I miss doing 12hr shifts and be off 4 days a week. Now I work at a corporate bank and its funny watching ppl whine about working 6-8hr shifts. 

Retire at 55

I ******* wish

If you can afford it though, you might as well go for it. 

Edited by Robert

I’m sure a lot of people would love to work part time but it’s just not realistic. You’ll need to have someone else helping you with your bills

1 hour ago, Breathe On Moi said:

retirement at 55? :rip: are you American?

If he was American he’d still be working even from inside a casket.

:clack:

• Haha 1

I'm thinking of doing it for the time being. I quit my full-time job at the start of this year and have a lot of money in my savings, but I'd still like to make some money on the side especially now that my loans are back.

10 minutes ago, DAP said:

If he was American he’d still be working even from inside a casket.

:clack:

that’s why I asked :rip: idk where he got those figures from! 

3 hours ago, Hey Dude said:

College and office work at the same time was brutal. I still have the PTSD from the insane stress. I wonder if my hairline will ever recover from those years of constant stress :rip:

I also live with my family and they have no plan to throw me out. I do too much around the house so if I leave, good luck with literally all the house chores. 

I had fun when I did random odd jobs around town. But that's high school pocket money, can't go back to that now. 

So yeah atm I got my part time work from home job, will try to secure it for 2024 as well. I'm also pursuing further education which luckily is no where near the work load of my college years. 

did all that stress really destroy ur hairline?

Oh this thread is exactly me. After 2 years of working full time, I realised that it's not for me (also because I feel that it's just plain Capitalism - we work our asses of but the rich keep getting richer), I stopped. Luckily due to my strong education and profile, I finally found a job that pays me so ******* well (here I only work part time, it's an online job, I can choose whatever time I work, day or night, as long as I work for a total amount of around 10 hours a week). The fact that the payment is as high as a 9-5 full time job. I am so happy with it right now.  I have plenty of time for other things, to relax, to travel, to sleep, to rest, to work out while still having money just like others who work like 40-45 hours a week.

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, naval23 said:

Sometimes I kinda feel this too. But then I also feel proud. It's complicated. But yeah Im thinking about starting my own Youtube channel along with my part time job now. 

2 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Oh this thread is exactly me. After 2 years of working full time, I realised that it's not for me (also because I feel that it's just plain Capitalism - we work our asses of but the rich keep getting richer), I stopped. Luckily due to my strong education and profile, I finally found a job that pays me so ******* well (here I only work part time, it's an online job, I can choose whatever time I work, day or night, as long as I work for a total amount of around 10 hours a week). The fact that the payment is as high as a 9-5 full time job. I am so happy with it right now.  I have plenty of time for other things, to relax, to travel, to sleep, to rest, to work out while still having money just like others who work like 40-45 hours a week.

That is so cool, congrats. Dream life.

tenor.gif

I like working, I see myself working as long as possible. It used to be more fun for me because I used to befriend my coworkers easily but now I'm just challenging myself to become the best employee, not to necessarily prove it to my bosses or coworkers but to myself... I like learning hands on. 

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

That sounds amazing! Do you get paid more if you work more than 10 hours per week?

i think if you can make it work financially it's a great thing to do. you are quite right - working your bum off for your bosses is not worth it. unfortunately my current job doesn't pay me enough for me to go part-time. i do plan to go from 5 days to 4 next September and do my post-grad degree on the side, but yeah it will mean less money so i won't really be able to save a lot.

12 hours ago, naval23 said:

That sounds amazing! Do you get paid more if you work more than 10 hours per week?

Yes but right now they only allow me to work around 15 hours max because it's still a part time job. But honestly I dont see myself working more than 15 hourd a week. I feel like I want to do somethimg that is owned by me more than working too much for someone or some cômpany/org.

working part-time is great for my mental health, but awful for my bank account lmao

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.