New Zealand Election: National Party (right wing party) win

Robert

First, no to the voice and now this. A sad day for Oceania. 

Lorde's instagram stories for people to vote for the green party didn't work it seems :rip: :chick3:

I thought people generally liked Jacinda, but reading some tweets, apparently this win was basically a **** you to her party. 

19 minutes ago, Hurem said:

I wonder how long this right wave is gonna last :doc:

Same. I'm so tired of it. Unfortunately I don't think this right wing wave is going away any time soon.

24 minutes ago, Khal said:

I thought people generally liked Jacinda, but reading some tweets, apparently this win was basically a **** you to her party. 

The new leader didn't particularly inspire much after her resignation.

1 hour ago, Khal said:

Thanks to Covid, Labour (Jacinda's party) made history and got an absolute majority (which is unprecedented) but they did absolutely nothing with it and made no meaningful change in the way they could have. The general consensus is that they're to blame for the current economic situation (which is unfair) and no one trusts they'll deliver on their promises

1 hour ago, Kitty Kat said:

The new leader didn't particularly inspire much after her resignation.

Not true. Up until the last few days he was outpolling the opposition leader in terms of who they preferred as PM/most likeable/most trustworthy despite his party's numbers being in the can, it was very much a party issue rather than one of leadership

OT: Really disappointed to see National win, even if it was obvious it was going to happen. Luxon has the charisma of a potato

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Not true. Up until the last few days he was outpolling the opposition leader in terms of who they preferred as PM/most likeable/most trustworthy despite his party's numbers being in the can, it was very much a party issue rather than one of leadership

OT: Really disappointed to see National win, even if it was obvious it was going to happen. Luxon has the charisma of a potato

I’m aware of that - that was why I used the word inspiring. I was saying it as a response to someone talking about Jacinda, and trying to compare the ‘inspiration’ Jacinda brought versus Hipkins. The data did indeed show that he was the preferred candidate in many ways. 

2 hours ago, Khal said:

it's mostly just because of how long we spent in lockdowns, and people were against the vaccine mandates. i still like Jacinda, but a lot of people hate for for unjustified reasons.

this was so upsetting to find out, people think that NZ is such a forward thinking country but it's really not. it's filled with uneducated idiots, and an overly represented number of old voters who normally support national. National isn't as right wing as political parties overseas, but i still don't agree with their policies and false advertising surrounding their policies. Once again, they're choosing to give tax cuts to the rich and landlords, and take from the poor to give rich people tax relief. it's a sad day for the country

3 hours ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Lorde's instagram stories for people to vote for the green party didn't work it seems :rip: :chick3:

The Greens did very well with over 10% of the vote and winning three electorate seats.

There were a number of problems for Labour, and the right wing focused on inflation which has been high since Russian sanctions (nz is very dependant on imports and shipping costs). The Labour party had a huge majority in 2020, but many supporters think they didn't do enough in many areas. Then when Hipkins became prime minister, he kinda moved Labour more towards the centre. Perhaps he gained some support, but lost elsewhere.

The winning centre right National party, led by a conservative Christian, will most likely form a government with support from the far right ACT party, who have campaigned on reducing tax, reducing indigenous rights, stopping crime and building more prisons, reducing spending on public transport, removing incentives to cut carbon emissions and increased investment in roading.

It's definitely a grim result, no ifs or buts about it. So much good stuff underway, Auckland light rail, Wellington golden mile transformation, net zero emissions, Kainga Ora etc - all going to be scrapped. 

They were bound to lose, it wasn't a matter of if, but rather by how much.

We tend to swap out govs every 2-3 terms (6-9) years anyways so this was on point. I'm actually interested in our special votes as those typically skew left so National's bound to lose 1-3 seats. Which means they'll be forced into a coalition with NZFirst along with ACT, and Luxon nor Seymour is really interested in going into a coalition with Winston considering he's an absolute flop. 

40 minutes ago, Lil Uzi Lust said:

I'm actually interested in our special votes as those typically skew left so National's bound to lose 1-3 seats. Which means they'll be forced into a coalition with NZFirst along with ACT, and Luxon nor Seymour is really interested in going into a coalition with Winston considering he's an absolute flop. 

There's still so much to play for which makes things so much more interesting. Apparently a lot of places ran out of Maori roll ballots so many of those voters had to cast special votes - if the Maori party can flip those two seats they're only marginally behind in we'll get an additional 2 overhang seats which will mean the majority becomes 62 or even 63 seats

Some of the margins are so close I wouldn't be surprised if there are some requested recounts :gaycat6:

back and forth the pendulum swings. it wasn't a surprise. looking forward to the coalition of chaos :suburban:

On 10/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, Letemtalk said:

The Labour party had a huge majority in 2020, but many supporters think they didn't do enough in many areas. Then when Hipkins became prime minister, he kinda moved Labour more towards the centre. Perhaps he gained some support, but lost elsewhere.

i was upset about this too. this is why i chose to vote for greens for my general vote, and labour only for my electorate seat. they had a huge majority of the seats in parliament and could've done so much more than they did. capital gains tax, reducing the hold the supermarket duopoly has over us, environmental policies and caps on rental price increases were all things they could've introduced but they chose not to. they seem to be pandering to swing voters but it didn't even work, their policies weren't progressive enough. they pretty much just wanted to keep everything as it is which i didn't agree with. 

On 10/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mordecai said:

There's still so much to play for which makes things so much more interesting. Apparently a lot of places ran out of Maori roll ballots so many of those voters had to cast special votes - if the Maori party can flip those two seats they're only marginally behind in we'll get an additional 2 overhang seats which will mean the majority becomes 62 or even 63 seats

Some of the margins are so close I wouldn't be surprised if there are some requested recounts :gaycat6:

True, my family and I's votes were put under special votes when we voted (I was in Welly's for an Orchid show though so yeah lol). I'm just here for the chaos.

7 hours ago, thetea said:

i was upset about this too. this is why i chose to vote for greens for my general vote, and labour only for my electorate seat. they had a huge majority of the seats in parliament and could've done so much more than they did. capital gains tax, reducing the hold the supermarket duopoly has over us, environmental policies and caps on rental price increases were all things they could've introduced but they chose not to. they seem to be pandering to swing voters but it didn't even work, their policies weren't progressive enough. they pretty much just wanted to keep everything as it is which i didn't agree with. 

Tbf, my friend who works in a ministry was telling me earlier this year that the big plan for the government that the MfE put forward was really awful and she felt bad for them because they worked so long on it only for them to come up with uh... something not good. So I can understand them not doing anything on it (although it was my main concern and driving motivation for voting greens).

She also said that Seymour she was a complete ass who argued over every little thing, even if everyone else agreed it was a good idea.

She also told me to not tell anyone but I don't think she'll mind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lil Uzi Lust said:

She also said that Seymour she was a complete ass who argued over every little thing, even if everyone else agreed it was a good idea.

i hate david seymour so much. i truly don't get why he has so much support, especially in the epsom area. 

On 10/17/2023 at 2:09 PM, thetea said:

This term of Labour has been so disappointing. So many policies they've promised for a number of elections (one example is reinstating post-grad student allowances) they just ignored. Not to mention refusing to take on the supermarkets etc. Ardern got Labour back in power but was way too cautious and more centrist than she appeared. Remember when she wouldn't take a position on legalizing cannabis? If she had it would have passed. Labour was so worried about winning this election, which was unwinnable due to the economic situation, that they sacrificed their progressive ideals, hence the big move to the Greens and Te Pati Maori.

Edited by midnightdawn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

This term of Labour has been so disappointing. So many policies they've promised for a number of elections (one example is reinstating post-grad student allowances) they just ignored. Not to mention refusing to take on the supermarkets etc. Ardern got Labour back in power but was way too cautious and more centrist than she appeared. Remember when she wouldn't take a position on legalizing cannabis? If she had it would have passed. Labour was so worried about winning this election, which was unwinnable due to the economic situation, that they sacrificed their progressive ideals, hence the big move to the Greens and Te Pati Maori.

i don't get why they didn't re-instate student loans for post-grad students. a lot of their inaction has made me dislike labour, i still love jacinda ardern and chris hipkins but i hate how much they refused to put in reasonable policies. it was ridiculous, they've had the biggest majority in parliament since MMP was introduced but they did nothing of substance with it. i strongly believe that they should've legalised cannabis, or maybe just made it not a prosecutable offense. it's ridiculous in this day and age that it's classified in the same grouping as codeine, which is literally an opiod drug. i was shocked at how many people voted for national, but i guess people are stupid and blame all the problems caused by covid on labour. maybe a election cycle not being in charge will help labour re-evaluate their policies and become more progressive, which is what i want to see. 

5 minutes ago, thetea said:

i don't get why they didn't re-instate student loans for post-grad students. a lot of their inaction has made me dislike labour, i still love jacinda ardern and chris hipkins but i hate how much they refused to put in reasonable policies. it was ridiculous, they've had the biggest majority in parliament since MMP was introduced but they did nothing of substance with it. i strongly believe that they should've legalised cannabis, or maybe just made it not a prosecutable offense. it's ridiculous in this day and age that it's classified in the same grouping as codeine, which is literally an opiod drug. i was shocked at how many people voted for national, but i guess people are stupid and blame all the problems caused by covid on labour. maybe a election cycle not being in charge will help labour re-evaluate their policies and become more progressive, which is what i want to see. 

I kind of understood why Labour were so centrist in 2017 when they were trying to take down a popular National govt. And going into 2020 it was going to be a tight election. But then 2021 onwards they were so stuck in that centrist mindset. And what was the point? They have a majority. Best case scenario after the 2023 election was they were in a coalition so why didn't they do all they wanted to do while they could. I voted Labour in 2020 because Ardern was basically saying give me a majority and I can get lots done without complications but a Labour-Greens would have been far better in hindsight at actually pushing progressive values. The "policy bonfire" Hipkins had this year was a good metaphor for Labour's attitude to throwing away left wing policies that had been years in the planning because they wanted to be National-lite and try and get a narrow win.

Also the campaign was horribly run with so little advertising, no real message or enthusiasm from their MPs. The National candidate in my electorate was far more present and campaigned harder. It's like Labour were just worn out and couldn't get themselves up to fight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.