TMZ: Taylor Swift could earn $4.1 billion from the Eras Tour

Carry My Heart

TMZ: TAYLOR SWIFT $4.1 BIL HAUL FROM ERAS TOUR

GettyImages-1637208934_534119_frfe0y.webp

For Taylor Swift, it pays to take her show on the road – and into theaters, too – as she could be raking in a whopping $4.1 BILLION from her super popular "Eras" tour.

The eye-popping figure would means Taylor owns the most lucrative concert tour in U.S. history – and, in the process, she'd not only be lining her pockets, but also boosting the American economy.

Taylor's multi-billion dollar windfall is an estimate from Peter Cohan, who teaches MBA students at Babson College in Massachusetts. He says he crunched the numbers for The Washington Post, and came out with some astounding figures. Taylor's estimated cut ($4.1 billion) would be larger than the yearly economic output of 42 countries.

Per the articles TMZ sources their estimates from: The Economy (Taylor's Version) - The Washington Post, and Inc. Magazine's original article

By 2024, when the Eras Tour will end, Swift's ticket revenue could reach $4.8 billion. Since [Cohan's April estimates], here's what changed:

• The number of concerts increased from 52 to 146
  • My estimate of the number of fans per concert rose from 52,000 to 72,459 based on CNN's report
  • My estimate of the average ticket price fell from $700 to $456, per CNN

Her promoter will [likely] pay her 105 percent of the $4.8 billion in ticket sales – or about $5.1 billion, claims David Herlihy, a Northeastern University teaching professor and music industry program coordinator. Assuming she pays tour expenses of 20 percent, Swift would net a whopping $4.1 billion (80 percent of the $5.1 billion).

Read all linked articles for full context, as I had to cut most of them down in accordance with ATRL's TOS.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carry My Heart

• Liafen

• perpetual novice

• Chartman

Top Posters In This Topic

• My estimate of the average ticket price fell from $700 to $456, per CNN

girl bye. When are these people going to get a clue

I really doubt it. The article cites average ticket prices of $450 and that's just far too unrealistic. :skull: 

Pollstar's estimate of $1.4-1.5B still seems like the most accurate, especially since they're the primary source for touring numbers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feanor said:

I really doubt it. The article cites average ticket prices of $450 and that's just far too unrealistic. :skull: 

Pollstar's estimate of $1.4-1.5B still seems like the most accurate, especially since they're the primary source for touring numbers.

Oh definitely. It's just weird how there's so many varying estimates out there from otherwise reliable sources.

Have these people never looked at the list of highest grossing tours? There isn’t even a tour that has ever grossed 1B, why would there suddenly be one that grosses 4B :rip:

Also i hope no clowns come in here blaming this on Taylor’s PR when this is an independent entity peddling this BS, not Tree or anyone in Taylor’s camp

• Like 2

4 billion total would be possible if the tour did 2B plus 1B from merch sales alone and 1b more from the movie but it's the biggest reach ever. 

• Like 1

Just now, Taylena said:

4 billion total would be possible if the tour did 2B plus 1B from merch sales alone and 1b more from the movie but it's the biggest reach ever. 

They claim she'll take home $6 billion when you include merch sales :deadbanana2:

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

$456 average ticket and the promoter paying 105% of ticket sales (:deadbanana:) sound extremely unrealistic. 

They're trying to get my girl in trouble with the IRS. :gaycatx:

• Haha 9

This seems too much. Even for Taylor and other great legends.

What is so weird about this is that these numbers are calculated by a quiet respectable person and mayor outlets are picking it up. Most people on ATRL think she will even miss out on the 2 billion $ mark. No one here talks about 3 billion $. But this guy calculated 5 billion $. How can you be off so much?

How do news outlets even publish these enormous miscalculations is honestly beyond me, especially as a journalist. 

Poor Babson College students, they're getting ripped off. This man shouldn't teach anything business-related, to be honest - if you work in the field, half an hour of research would get you to MAX $2B. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Someone lied to them several times... why even inflate it when the real numbers are still super impressive? Someone in the media is trying to set Taylor up for failure, I fear. But she won't.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Carry My Heart said:

They claim she'll take home $6 billion when you include merch sales :deadbanana2:

To get to this number, you have to have the following math:

dates are pulling a 72 459 tickets sold avg, which is basically unheard of considering smaller stadiums and end-stage setup

ALL of the 72 459 showgoers per date buy something at the merch stands (again, unheard of, likely two-thirds shop MAX)

and the best one: each person spends 214 dollars on average at the merch stand. 

again, he thinks that 10.5 million people in attendance (wont happen) EACH spend around 214 dollars on average. 

AFTER ticket sales, of course.

what kind of math is this and why is it published on Inc. :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Have these people never looked at the list of highest grossing tours? There isn’t even a tour that has ever grossed 1B, why would there suddenly be one that grosses 4B 

That would make her the highest grossing entertainer in history with just one tour, surpassing the career total of David Copperfield :skull:

2 minutes ago, Liafen said:

To get to this number, you have to have the following math:

dates are pulling a 72 459 tickets sold avg, which is basically unheard of considering smaller stadiums and end-stage setup

ALL of the 72 459 showgoers per date buy something at the merch stands (again, unheard of, likely two-thirds shop MAX)

and the best one: each person spends 214 dollars on average at the merch stand. 

again, he thinks that 10.5 million people in attendance (wont happen) EACH spend around 214 dollars on average. 

AFTER ticket sales, of course.

what kind of math is this and why is it published on Inc. :deadbanana4:

and the best thing is that all of this data is based on a noname firm surveying 862 people under god-knows-what statistical principles. shame on you, CNN, Inc. TMZ, I'm not surprised, but still, shame

Maybe this'd be closer if we took into account her exclusive deals with maybe the NFL stadiums, that Singapore Tourism Board exclusivity agreement, her merch sales which we can probably infer is close to half a billion in revenue by the time all this is said and done, and her trickle down economic impact.

She's going to pull like 10-18M/date/avg. across 146 dates, the upper rungs being her SoFi/US runs and maybe the lowest her South American/Asian leg, risky estimates would put it sub 2B but highly unlikely especially since a bulk of her dates are intl. and it'll absolutely lower her avg. earnings per night. She's probably going to gross sub 1.5B with just pure dates, and her merch, conservative estimates would have them spend maybe just close to $300M.

But for take home money only after all this is over, she's probably only getting 800 to maybe edging out on a billion.

Edited by MingYouToo

Yeah she should sue them for setting her up like this with IRS and the media in general

Her tour is the biggest all time but I don’t see it passing 1.3B or even with merch maybe 1.7-1.8B

And this numbers are already absolutely insane

They're probably counting the re ticket price, which doesn't go to her pocket. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.