Sony debuts new, slimmer PS5 for release in November

Jotham

Sony Interactive Entertainment is revamping the look of the PlayStation 5 this November with a smaller, lighter version of the console. In addition to a slimmer form factor, SIE also revealed the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive add-on for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition — the console without a built-in Blu-ray drive.

Sony’s new slimmed-down PS5 model has been “reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models,” according to the company. The notoriously tall PS5 is now slightly shorter by 33 mm (1.25 inches), and slightly narrower, by 44 mm (1.73 inches). In terms of weight, the revised standard PS5 model is losing 1.3 kg (about 3 pounds).

Price breakdown:

U.S.

• PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – $499.99
  • PS5 Digital Edition – $449.99

Europe

• PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
  • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99

U.K.

• PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
  • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99

Japan

• PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 66,980 yen (includes tax)
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 59,980 yen (includes tax)

Read more

At this point, it's just a cash grab. It took so long for most people to secure the initial PS5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VerdantHue said:

At this point, it's just a cash grab. It took so long for most people to secure the initial PS5.

It’s literally the same console.

This isn’t for the ones that already have one. It’s mostly for Sony to have less production costs tbh

• Like 1

I'll buy it if Naughty Dog announces their standalone The Last Of Us: Multiplayer (Factions 2) game. Otherwise give me death.

why not just do the skinny models at launch 

they always do this :rip: 

anyways we might be picking up :swan:

was there a souls game exclusive for ps5?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katamari said:

why not just do the skinny models at launch 

they always do this :rip: 

anyways we might be picking up :swan:

was there a souls game exclusive for ps5?

Demon's Souls remake, it was the first game I got for my PS5. Absolutely gorgeous. 

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

Perfect for someone like me that has yet to buy a PS5. :gaycat1:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BletaRexher said:

Xbox stays on top I see

of what?

not the charts, i see 

• Haha 2

I was kind of hoping they’d change the design. There’s no reason for me to replace my regular PS5 with this as it looks and functions the same. 

16 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Perfect for someone like me that has yet to buy a PS5. :gaycat1:

It is so worth it. The quality of life improvement over the PS4 is unbelievable. 

Plus there's Final Fantasy 16 :1stplace:

Y’all saying it looks the same are missing the point :deadbanana4: This is not a DSi or PS4Pro. It’s not a mid cycle hardware upgrade to entice consumers to double dip. It’s literally to Sony’s benefit to reduce production costs because of cheaper components and smaller and lighter packaging. “Why didn’t they just launch with it” - because in the years since new hardware launches, we get better at minimizing the tech. As if none of y’all saw ps2 slim, ps3 slim, wii mini, etc. :swan:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Hey Dude said:

It is so worth it. The quality of life improvement over the PS4 is unbelievable. 

Plus there's Final Fantasy 16 :1stplace:

Good to know. My main last generation was the Xbox One and I was not happy with it. Awful system. Can’t wait to be back in the PlayStation ecosystem with Spider-Man 2. :keir: 

26 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

Y’all saying it looks the same are missing the point :deadbanana4: This is not a DSi or PS4Pro. It’s not a mid cycle hardware upgrade to entice consumers to double dip. It’s literally to Sony’s benefit to reduce production costs because of cheaper components and smaller and lighter packaging. “Why didn’t they just launch with it” - because in the years since new hardware launches, we get better at minimizing the tech. As if none of y’all saw ps2 slim, ps3 slim, wii mini, etc. :swan:

Exactly. People wondering why they should buy this if they already have the original...this isn't for you :rip:

I need to get one, I really want to play Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

3 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

Exactly. People wondering why they should buy this if they already have the original...this isn't for you :rip:

I kind of just wanted them to change the design. Like the point of Slim was never to replace the main one in terms of power and tech but usually it would look more modern and better in my opinion. 

she's cute in slim but I'm a stick with my big body model.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.