Back to Black or Born to Die?

k4rmabutterfly

BTB vs BTD  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger?

2. 2. Better?

3. 3. More impactful?

Lana is my fave but Amy wasn't even trying to appeal to anyone when she unleashed BTB. BTD is amazing but it was very carefully crafted to draw the tumblr crowd in and that takes a bit away from its authenticity.

Edited by dumbsparce

Born to Die for all. B2B had its moments, though

21 hours ago, Eternium said:

Born to Die for all. B2B had its moments, though

Back to Black has amazing singles and good tracks. Born to Die has amazing singles and amazing tracks. 

I don't even listen to Amy anymore but this is hard, ugh. I will have to vote for B2B for being bigger and better. It was so left field for me that its success is still stunning. Like I get how Adele's elevator music was everyone's fav, but the adore for B2B was really wonderful for music' diversity. 

Regarding impact, I know she paved the way for our alt female artists, but sonically, I just don't hear that sound in mainstream music that much since? BtD on the other hand, 11 years later and you could still hear copycat songs everywhere.

Back to Black

Back to Black

Born to Die

love both so much! Back to Black just so happens to be a timeless, absurdly excellent masterpiece (every single song sounds like it could be a f*cking smash hit at any point in time!!!) and a moment in time that felt so special and irreplicable (though 21 was kinda close in the widespread success monocultural aspect)

though there wouldn't have really been a Born to Die without Back to Black, Born to Die does feel more long-term impactful in the current pop climate somehow

This is tough. I love both equally. BTD was the first pop album I got into, while B2B is just as good. I’ll say B2B a tiny bit more 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:54 PM, What_A_Mess said:

Born to Die for all. There’s a reason why it’s a the longest charting album in Billboard 200 in history. Back to Black wouldn’t be as acclaimed if Amy was still alive let’s be real.

Back to Black was acclaimed upon its release, let's not lie. Made a shitload year-end lists, swept them Grammys and whatever accolade you can think of.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 11:54 PM, What_A_Mess said:

Born to Die for all. There’s a reason why it’s a the longest charting album in Billboard 200 in history. Back to Black wouldn’t be as acclaimed if Amy was still alive let’s be real.

What a mess indeed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.