Speaker of the House ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ Megathread: Election Denier Mike Johnson is elected Speaker

Sergi91

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• FameFatale

• Bears01

• If U Seek Amy

3 hours ago, Espresso said:

True. Do we have any quotes on the record on this from the Progressive Caucus? Ignoring this posts implications on horseshoe theory, all Iโ€™m seeing here is further down this screengrab from AOC which raises an interesting point on opportunity cost re: minimum wage, etc.? Iโ€™m curious on disagreement with her on the points she brings up within the conference at the time if there was any you recalled or your thoughts on her points now. Full disclosure, Iโ€™ve been too distracted with the presidential race to assess any lessons re: M4A as the flag to unite on in tanking any speaker.

ย 

ย 

I mean, Progressives united fully behind Hakeem Jeffries, who openly despises them and may go as far as funding primary challenges against them. Weโ€™re fully beyond the point where you can expect even the meagerest of standards. They are corporate democrats in all but name now.

5 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I mean, Progressives united fully behind Hakeem Jeffries, who openly despises them and may go as far as funding primary challenges against them. Weโ€™re fully beyond the point where you can expect even the meagerest of standards. They are corporate democrats in all but name now.

Fine, yes, but Iโ€™m referring to then, not nowย :celestial5:

Just now, Espresso said:

Fine, yes, but Iโ€™m referring to then, not nowย :celestial5:

Even back then, AOC fully embraced Mama Bear and never gave her much trouble, even though she fully dismissed the โ€œGreen Dream or whateverโ€

ย 

None of them ever raised any questions as to whether or not they would give Pelosi anything other than undying fealty that would never be reciprocatedย 

4 hours ago, Espresso said:

True. Do we have any quotes on the record on this from the Progressive Caucus? Ignoring this posts implications on horseshoe theory, all Iโ€™m seeing here is further down this screengrab from AOC which raises an interesting point on opportunity cost re: minimum wage, etc.? Iโ€™m curious on disagreement with her on the points she brings up within the conference at the time if there was any you recalled or your thoughts on her points now. Full disclosure, Iโ€™ve been too distracted with the presidential race to assess any lessons re: M4A as the flag to unite on in tanking any speaker.

ย 

ย 

In terms of any Squad member commenting on Force The Vote, I believe only AOC engaged with criticisms (which is what led to Jimmy Doore - yes, I hate him too - going after her so hard and calling her a fraud).

ย 

Outside of the traditional Squad, Pramila Jayapal also did an interview with Ryan Grim on the matter, but she incorrectly (and wasn't corrected by Grim) argued playing games with the vote was too risky because it could make McCarthy the speaker.

ย 

In terms of the screenshot, I believe Briahna and others vocalized that, while they focused on a vote for Medicare For All, and that the vote ending in "No" would help progressives to primary centrists who outed themselves, they weren't saying the Squad should only ask for such.

ย 

In the clips referenced, Brie says how her and others in left media were advocating for numerous other asks the Squad could make.

- Important committee assignments for themselves regarding healthcare
- Ousting of conservative Dems from key committee assignments regarding healthcare
- Force a vote on other legislation that already had votes from both Republicans and Democrats to pass, like banning stock trading by Congress members

ย 

That was the point - the goal wasn't to oust Pelosi just for the sake of it, in 'revenge', but to leverage that they could to get concessions out of her and force her to respect their position.ย 

ย 

I think the issue is especially damning when people try to say that Gaetz and others have won nothing, but this further reiterates that the farthest-right figures in the GOP are the strongest. It reiterates that to be a successful Republican, you must be a Trump loyalist and continue to move rightward with Trump and others.

ย 

In comparison... have Democrats moved to the left? And in what way? To the left compared to... 1990s Clinton? What about compared to the momentum of the Sanders 2016 or 2020 campaigns?ย 

ย 

Medicare For All went from being the most discussed issue for 4 years to Dems electing a man who said he would veto it and no one mentioning it since.. despite going through a once-in-a-lifetime crisis that saw over 400k people whose lives would have been saved within a single-payer system where everyone had healthcare.

ย 

I don't see how progressive Dems in Congress can view their lack of achievements as anything other than allowing the momentum get away.

Can someone explain to me how the Democrats could have โ€œsavedโ€ him if the Republicans are the majority in the House?

ย 

Wouldn't it only require all of the Republicans to vote for the it?

Edited by Яeo.

2 hours ago, Espresso said:

:foxaylove3:

ย 

This is literally not possible. And the Speaker does not have the power to do any of this crap. She is so dumb.

ย 

The gov't will most likely shut down for sure now. There is no way the GOP will be able to vote in a Speaker and then pass another CR. :ahh:ย  I just hope Dems are prepared to push out good, effective messaging to let Americans know who is to blameย (lol, not gonna happen).

14 minutes ago, ะฏeo. said:

Can someone explain to me how the Democrats could have โ€œsavedโ€ him if the Republicans are the majority in the House?

ย 

Wouldn't it only require all of the Republicans to vote for the it?

There were 216 yes votes and 210 no votes.

208 of the yes votes were democrats and all 210 no votes were republicans. If a handful of democrats voted no, they would have saved his speakership.ย 
ย 

Only 8 republicans voted for him to be removed. The majority of the republicans wanted him to keep his positionย 

2 hours ago, Espresso said:

ย 

Are they pretending they wouldnโ€™t have voted out Pelosi in a heartbeat?

1 hour ago, Sannie said:

This is literally not possible. And the Speaker does not have the power to do any of this crap. She is so dumb.

ย 

The gov't will most likely shut down for sure now. There is no way the GOP will be able to vote in a Speaker and then pass another CR. :ahh:ย  I just hope Dems are prepared to push out good, effective messaging to let Americans know who is to blameย (lol, not gonna happen).

Speaker of the House does not have to be a sitting House Representative. So Donald Trump CAN be elected to Speakership.

17 hours ago, Komet blu said:

And who's most likely to replace him? I'm scared to askย 

I think dems will regret this tbhย 

ย 

scaliase and Jim Jordan :biblionana:

Rep Tim Burchett doing media rounds saying he voted to out McCarthy because he mocked his faith in a conversation. :deadbanana:ย 

6 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

ย 

I think so too. It opens the doors to pushing extreme Republicans forward into bigger positions.ย 

23 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Speaker of the House does not have to be a sitting House Representative. So Donald Trump CAN be elected to Speakership.

The Speaker of the House can not be someone who is indicted for a felony. Which means that Trump would not be eligible.ย 
ย 

Rule 26 of the GOP Conference states, "A member of the Republican Leadership shall step aside if indicted for a felony for which a sentence of two or more years imprisonment may be imposed."

Besides, Trump has no interest in the job. Too much work and heโ€™s too busy campaigning and going to courtย 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

ย 

Well, they decided to let the institution crumble with this vote, so this is entirely on them. I have zero sympathy for Democrats here, and they should expect even more retribution to come their way in the form of committee removals and even some expulsion votes for people like Jamal Bowman who might go to jail for pulling a fire alarm.

Wrong strategy by Dems. Irrespective of the bluster by Kevin McCarthy on the tv interview, Dems should've saved him. Then he wouldve been more receptive to their concerns. They could've defeated the MAGA extremists by this way. Now a more extreme person will become speaker and create trouble for Biden for the rest of the term especially regarding border security and Ukraine. Trees for the forest kinda move by the Dems.ย 

• Thumbs Down 1

Dems can rectify it by choosing scalise over Jim Jordan before scalise starts giving concessions to freedom caucus for becoming speaker... there is still time.ย 

Not yโ€™all saying bad move by dems when he wouldnโ€™t work with the dems and dragged them on tv for no reason after saving his ass

Edited by Gavin.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gavin. said:

Not yโ€™all saying bad move by dems when he wouldnโ€™t work with the dems and dragged them on tv for no reason after saving his ass

Obviously he can't be opening courting Dems in a polarized country. He wouldve been immediately primaried. Dems should've made a subtle play behind the scenes. Got Ukraine guarantees after the vote. I mean Kevin McCarthy did indeed raise the debt ceiling and did the CR for 45 days just as Dems wanted. I think this was sufficient proof he was collaborative.ย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.