Leave The World Behind | Dec 8th | Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke | Netflix thriller

Anye

Premise:

A family vacation on Long Island is interrupted by two strangers bearing news of a mysterious blackout. As the threat grows more imminent, both families must decide how best to survive the potential crisis, all while grappling with their own place in this collapsing world.

Cast:

Julia Roberts as Amanda

Mahershala Ali as G.H.

Ethan Hawke as Clay

Myha'la as Ruth

Farrah Mackenzie as Rose

Charlie Evans as Archie

Kevin Bacon as Danny.

Why is it always a white family in an apocalyptic movie? What about Indian people? Asian people? Hispanics? Do better Hollywood.

looking forward to this, can anyone recommend the book this is based on?

16 minutes ago, Buffy said:

Why is it always a white family in an apocalyptic movie? What about Indian people? Asian people? Hispanics? Do better Hollywood.

It's not that deep :rip:

Mr. Robot is amazing so I’m excited to see this knowing that Sam Esmail has written, directed and produced it. 

• Like 1

I am very curious to see what they do with this movie, because the book is, no exaggeration, The worst book I've ever read.

It is 200 pages of incoherent rambling.  There is no plot.  White family goes to vacation house.  Black couple (the owners) show up.  There may be an apocalypse happening offscreen.  The end.  That's it.  The book is mostly full of the white parents thinking about how miserable they are and making extremely strange sexual metaphors with regards to their children.  There is also an entire chapter where the mother lists out her grocery shopping list.  

It's idiotic.  It's artsy for the sake of being artsy.  There is no story whatsoever.  And it does NOT delve into racial issues like it claims to.  Despite being hyped up by the Obamas and other famous people, there's a very good reason for its abysmal 3.18 rating on Goodreads.

The movie will have to change A LOT in order to be anything other than a disaster.  And judging by the casting, it already has, considering GH and Ruth are supposed to be much older than Amanda and Clay.  Meanwhile Myhala is half Julia Roberts' age.

• 2 months later...

the pacing is ******* awful I had to turn it off after 40 minutes, which felt like over an hour already. 

• Like 1

I got so bored, and I didn't finished it either. I think it had like 40 minutes left too :ducky:

this was so boring :rip:

On 10/3/2023 at 8:51 PM, Miles. said:

I am very curious to see what they do with this movie, because the book is, no exaggeration, The worst book I've ever read.

It is 200 pages of incoherent rambling.  There is no plot.  White family goes to vacation house.  Black couple (the owners) show up.  There may be an apocalypse happening offscreen.  The end.  That's it.  The book is mostly full of the white parents thinking about how miserable they are and making extremely strange sexual metaphors with regards to their children.  There is also an entire chapter where the mother lists out her grocery shopping list.  

It's idiotic.  It's artsy for the sake of being artsy.  There is no story whatsoever.  And it does NOT delve into racial issues like it claims to.  Despite being hyped up by the Obamas and other famous people, there's a very good reason for its abysmal 3.18 rating on Goodreads.

The movie will have to change A LOT in order to be anything other than a disaster.  And judging by the casting, it already has, considering GH and Ruth are supposed to be much older than Amanda and Clay.  Meanwhile Myhala is half Julia Roberts' age.

Well the movie is pretty much that except the sexual stuff and they added some plot. 

• Thanks 1

Over acted 

and it never found its footing.  Just scenes put together to try to form some kind of suspense about the world ending but none of the scenes (lots of deer, teeth falling out, loud sounds, flyers falling from the sky) had anything to do with a cyber attack.

• Like 2

I found this ok, although the ending just feels like you've wasted two hours. Does anyone know any good movies of the same genre? I feel like there are a lot of apocalypse movies, but not many good ones. I enjoyed the realistic aspect of this, like a technological fallout could potentially happen someday.

I kind of like the ending but then I don’t at the same time.

also I agree that it does feel like episode 1 of something. I kept thinking that this should be a series as I watching

• Like 1

It wasn't that bad 'cause it had the mystery of what is happening. I guess it's more of subtle meaning which I'm sucker for, but the ending was a bit meh as mentioned. lol

This video pretty much resolved any issues I had with the movie

On 12/12/2023 at 11:02 PM, Tusk said:

Over acted 

and it never found its footing.  Just scenes put together to try to form some kind of suspense about the world ending but none of the scenes (lots of deer, teeth falling out, loud sounds, flyers falling from the sky) had anything to do with a cyber attack.

How is it over acted?

I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so, then it flatlined. 

• Like 2

The movie overall was ok, it's the classic post apocalyptic kind of movie where they don't explain things and it's about the reactions-dynamics of the characters, I can see a sequel happening.

About the ending:

Spoiler

I honestly liked it, I immediately knew the girl would have found the 'Friends' dvds in the house the moment they show her alone in the home finding food, they gave too much lines and importance about it during the movie so I was totally expecting she would have managed to watch the finale of the show in a way or another.

This is such a Sam Esmail film. The way he shot the film, the music usage, the dialogue. Very Mr. Robot-esque.

It's the typical post-apocalyptic film, where the inherent danger is just lurking in the background where you don't know what could go wrong. Is it the survival instinct that will cause internal conflict? Will the cause of the apocalypse creep up on them? Will nature turn on them? It's the sense of dread that sells this film because the plot just revolves around survival.

With that said, the ending caught me soooo off guard. I knew the audience panned the ending (but wasn't really spoiled about what the people hated about it) but my god, I knew somehow that Rose's fixation about *that* would come into play later but I never knew it literally will end it there. :bibliahh:

With all that said, did I enjoy it? Yes I did. Will I watch it again? Probably not. Will I recommend it to people? I wouldn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.