Negative Thought Patterns Feel Inescapable?

GraceRandolph

Does anyone know how to exit a loop of negative thought patterns? This feels like a never ending loop that I will never escape, and I don’t think anything will ever help. 

• Like 1

You have OCD, practice meditating 10 minutes daily consistently and try to occupy your mind with as much things or activities as possible, exploring, shopping, socializing. From experience

• Like 2

you can't break out of thinking by more thinking, you have to go into your body through physical movement (running, yoga, biking, dancing etc. whatever works for you) this would help regulate your nervous system and calm your mind.

10 minutes ago, Great808 said:

You have OCD, practice meditating 10 minutes daily consistently and try to occupy your mind with as much things or activities as possible, exploring, shopping, socializing. From experience

i know you mean well but negative thought loops does not mean someone has OCD, that's a very specific and extreme form of dysregulation that usually comes from a trauma. i suggest meditation for everyone but i actually don't think it should be the first step someone takes for these kind of issues cause although it helps it can also make a lot of people frustrated that they "can't" meditate or do it right. 

OPs problem sounds like a mind-body disconnection, they probably don't feel safe and in control in their body. the first step is to repair that through movement. you can't overthink while your body is physically active and discharing all that pent up energy which brings about cohesion. and sure you can distract yourself through exploring, shopping and socializing but that's all just escaping and temporarily numbing what's going on inside your body. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Great808 said:

I’ve tried this. It just doesn’t work. I just feel trapped completely. 

Read some of Marianne Williamson's self-help books or listen to her spiritual and psychological podcasts, it helped me get over my anxiety and fears once

Well what are the thoughts about?

Sounds like intrusive thoughts. If it's that bad then you should seek a counselor.  But if you feel like you can manage it by yourself here's some tips:

1. Identify the thought as intrusive. "Think to yourself, ‘that’s just an intrusive thought; it’s not how I think, it’s not what I believe, and it’s not what I want to do,’" says Dr. Williams.

2. Don’t fight with it. When you have an intrusive thought, just accept it. "Don’t try to make it go away."

3. Don’t judge yourself. Know that having a strange or disturbing thought doesn’t indicate that something is wrong with you.

My favorite coping mechanism when it comes to intrusive thoughts is to go outside when it's sunny and listen to music, whether it's on the porch or just walking around my neighborhood. 

If you happen to have really bad intrusive thoughts and can't find a way to snap out of it, this might also work:

Take a deep breath. 

Observe your surroundings. 

Look for five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. (This is called the 54321 technique.) 

Take another deep breath.

If you're new to meditating, I suggest looking up guided meditations on YouTube. Listening to binaural beats might help too! 

:hug:

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’ve tried this. It just doesn’t work. I just feel trapped completely. 

Maybe try getting a coloring book or pick up doodling and sketching. Or maybe even look up free music making apps like GarageBand or BandLab. The difference from doing these type of activities as opposed to others is that you are creating. When you create your mind is more willing to release because you're focusing on a task as opposed to mindlessly doing something. You need an activity that has you so entrenched in it you forget about thinking. 

I just give into it, just for a moment, and I tell myself that tomorrow will be a better day. And that's usually the case. I was going through it and in my feelings early this morning before I actually went to bed. I did wake up feeling much better than I did beforehand. Overall, I just focus on everything I love and am looking forward to, understanding and accepting the beauty that life still has to offer and how I plan to fully engage with it, when and however I can. Ultimately, I accept that I'm bigger and better than those negative thoughts would have me otherwise believe.

I do a lot of introspection and medication, attempting to be fully aware of all that I am at any given moment—the good and the bad, and ultimately just accepting it and understanding that I'm still worthy of peace, because I'm still a beautifully flawed person. And so are other people.

Hmm, I guess you could just say that I've tamed and learned how to play with my demons. :foxaylove:

barbiegrande

I had this issue for a couple of years. I really had to just learn to not concern myself with things out of my control. The world and life in general are very tumultuous and ever changing, just focus on your daily life and the small things that bring you joy. For me it’s my pets. 

• Like 1

You don't need to feel like you're fighting it. Allowing yourself to feel what you feel is really important and there's no thinking your way out of thoughts. Like others have suggested physical activity could help a lot too.

If it's nonstop and you feel that you have no control over it then I suggest getting into cognitive behavioral therapy. This will help frame your mind and develop more positive thinking.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:57 AM, Great808 said:

This. Meditation is really helpful. Also try to take up new activities that will help you focus on other things. Physical exercise is very helpful, too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.