Letterboxd sold for 50 million, new owner wants it to include TV shows too

AbeHicks

Matthew Buchanan and Karl von Randow, Letterboxd’s founders, announced on Friday that they were selling a majority stake in the service to Tiny, a public company in Victoria, British Columbia. The deal values Letterboxd at more than $50 million.

Letterboxd itself isn’t changing immediately. The proposal to incorporate TV is still in its infancy, and the founders said they did not expect that the addition would disrupt their existing products.

The new owner has no plans to change is Letterboxd’s business model. The service, which is free, has paid tiers for $19 and $49 a year for members who want extra services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/29/business/media/letterboxd-new-owner.html

LETTERBOXD-02-kqtl-superJumbo.jpg?qualit

• Like 1

just make a new app for TV with the same design and concept and let Letterboxd just be for films ffs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LFGGGG this is huge i was just talking about this the other day.. WHY NO SHOWS? no one is making them put it in episode by episode just slam the whole show in there CMON WE NEED SHOWS

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

I always thought that it was kinda weird that they didn't want to include TV shows. I think this is a change for the better 

• Like 4

Tv.com ha comeback!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antisocialites said:

just make a new app for TV with the same design and concept and let Letterboxd just be for films ffs

This is weirding me out because Trakt.tv is basically Letterboxd for TV shows and has been out for a decade, why can’t TV nerds use that?

2 hours ago, KMO said:

This is weirding me out because Trakt.tv is basically Letterboxd for TV shows and has been out for a decade, why can’t TV nerds use that?

Trakt isn't really the same.. Serializd is more so, and I agree TV and film should be separate especially since the rating scale for both is completely different... Miniseries being on LB was already a stretch.

yay!

• Thumbs Down 1

wow its worth is just 50M dollars? :rofl:

i mean it's an overrated platform where people just write bland hot takes ala twitter but i thought it was bigger. 

Edited by vale9001

why do the founders look exactly as I would've expected them to 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ugh. The app is great as is. We don't need people logging their 10th rewatch of The Office. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Poxy said:

Tv.com ha comeback!

holy sht this is such a throwback

that site’s forum was arguably more fun and messier than the imdb message boards

• Thumbs Down 2

I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would want this 

• Thumbs Down 1

33 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would want this 

i use it to have a list of every movie ive ever seen, and to rank all the horrors

i'd love to have a list of all tv shows ive ever seen in the same app too, and i'd love to add scream the tv series and american horror story to my horror ranking

• Like 3

7 hours ago, futurenostalgic said:

holy sht this is such a throwback

that site’s forum was arguably more fun and messier than the imdb message boards

Definitely! They had such an intricate system too, with the top contributors essentially becoming mini mods for that show’s content on the website… ahead of its time!

On 10/1/2023 at 8:57 AM, vale9001 said:

wow its worth is just 50M dollars? :rofl:

i mean it's an overrated platform where people just write bland hot takes ala twitter but i thought it was bigger. 

I feel like the site has a limited reach since only cinephiles use it a lot. And the reviews are more and more inane by the minute. It's just 1 sentence reviews trying to be funny.

Part of what makes Letterboxd so unique is the set up specifically made for movie lovers and cinephiles at heart. There's plenty of other websites for TV show reviews. I don't think this change is necessary but I digress :matty:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.