‘Taylor Tax:’ IRS targets Taylor Swift fans over ticket sales, Florida CFO says

réveuse

Yeah, because the Taylor Swift fans who sold their tickets for some extra running around money are really the people the IRS needs to go after...

• Like 4

If you sell a ticket for over $600 and make a lot of money, that is income and you are legally obligated to report that. It’s the law…

• Like 3

This doesn't specifically target ticket resale, but any account on payment services such as PayPal, Venmo etc. with transactions totaling over $600 per year. The threshold at which these services were previously required to file 1099 paperwork was $20,000. Professional scalpers routinely exceed that value so this change does not affect them. It really just ends up targeting small time sellers looking to supplement their income, and yes, fans who choose to sell their tickets for whatever reason. This is not the IRS going after scalpers or closing tax loopholes on billionaires, it's just making life more difficult and expensive for the plebs.

Edited by moo
  • Like 7

‘Taylor Tax’ on Taylor Swift fans who choose to resell their tickets are now at risk of being audited by the IRS

sounds like scalpers to me :giraffe:

Edited by truthteller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, byzantium said:

If you sell a ticket for over $600 and make a lot of money, that is income and you are legally obligated to report that. It’s the law…

This. I don't know why people are being silly. 

It's one thing to be annoyed like when I grab an extra coffee for a coworker who said they'd pay me later and then I get taxed on the $5 I requested on Venmo cause the coworker for some reason selected the "this is a good or service" option.

It's another to essentially try and flip concert tickets for profits exceeding hundreds of dollars like as though you didn't just do so for the gain. 

• Like 1

If you bought Taylor Swift tickets for the sole purpose of reselling them, than yeah you deserve to be taxed on the profits you accumulate.

Here for this 

hope scalping can be made illegal here soon

42 minutes ago, Mezik said:

If you bought Taylor Swift tickets for the sole purpose of reselling them, than yeah you deserve to be taxed on the profits you accumulate.

If you bought Taylor Swift tickets at the price their being sold for you deserve to be taxed. 

in all seriousness, this is dumb and they need to go after the rich 

• Like 1

How can they be called Taylor Swift fans? They sound more like Shakira fans to me

Why are you all crying about it? 
This $600 rule was made by the Biden Administration and his goal of hiring 87,000 new agents to go after the middle class and poor.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.