Is Christina Aguilera the most underrated Pop Icon of all time?

ScubaDive

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I54X

• Power love

• NausAllien

• La Reina

actually no, when she released her best work (Stripped and B2B) she had success in singles, album sales, touring

Once she started releasing trash GP just moved on

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Her main legacy is Stripped, which gets lots of credit imo so not really. I think Kylie, Janet, Carly Rae, Robyn, and Nelly Furtado are more underrated. 

• Like 5

Shes not underrated in the sense that people dont give her flowers.

Her lack of a substantive decade plus career makes her underrated, but thats mainly her own doing.

Personally I like to think in another universe she was less family oriented and more hungry for commercial success, a back to back Stripped and Timbaland pop era then discopop Aguilera in mid to late 2000s :jonny5:

She was always the girl I thought who had the skills to survive the multi decade onslaught and be the true rival of someone like Beyoncé. She just didnt want it as bad as B and lost her creative juices quick.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

Shes not underrated in the sense that people dont give her flowers.

Her lack of a substantive decade plus career makes her underrated, but thats mainly her own doing.

Personally I like to think in another universe she was less family oriented and more hungry for commercial success, a back to back Stripped and Timbaland pop era then discopop Aguilera in mid to late 2000s :jonny5:

She was always the girl I thought who had the skills to survive the multi decade onslaught and be the true rival of someone like Beyoncé. She just didnt want it as bad as B and lost her creative juices quick.

I think she really got left behind after 2008 like a lot of other singers. 2008 had Gaga hitting the pop scene like a meteorite, Katy establishing herself as a force with OOTB, Taylor becoming a household name with Fearless, and Britney’s comeback with Circus. Xtina just felt like old news by the time Bionic came, and it didn’t help that Not Myself Tonight was pretty mediocre and didn’t connect with people at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I think she really got left behind after 2008 like a lot of other singers. 2008 had Gaga hitting the pop scene like a meteorite, Katy establishing herself as a force with OOTB, Taylor becoming a household name with Fearless, and Britney’s comeback with Circus. Xtina just felt like old news by the time Bionic came, and it didn’t help that Not Myself Tonight was pretty mediocre and didn’t connect with people at all. 

It was all her own doing. Dipping after the massive Stripped era and not doing anything until Back to Basics in mid to late 2006 where by then women like Beyoncé, Pink and Rihanna were taking over the scene with big pop records from r&b pop to pure dance pop 

Had she committed to trend hopping from 1999 all the way to the early 2010s I dont doubt shed be extremely solidified. People were THERE for Christina the popstar the only thing she needed to do was give the material... And she didnt.

Back to Basics always gave me 'celebratory album made by a legend 20 yrs smashing already' type of album. She shouldve jumped on every trend possible that decade.

Had she done dance pop with the big diva vocals she wouldve cornered off the market Beyoncé eventually took over in, while B is more r&b Xtina was absolutely analogous to what B offered the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Underrated in what sense though? She is talented and I think most people and critics already acknowledge her as one of the best voices of this century. Several new artists cite her and Stripped as an influence too. But music wise, her albums are really messy and unfocused. They do have some good songs but they are also so bloated and full of fillers. She has never made a strong record.

Tldr; not really. I can name several other actually underrated Pop icons.

• Thumbs Down 4

Not underrated, just forgotten and it's her own fault. 

She's just not active, takes long breaks, and comes back with a different sound/image each time. Overall, she's inconsistent. 

She hit her sweet spot with Back to Basics, IMO. She should have continued to make more R&B-leaning music, released more regularly, and modified her sound/look more gradually. Stay consistent enough to not alienate fans of past eras, basically. I think Beyonce and Lana have done a great job of this. When you look at their first and latest albums they're worlds apart but in between, you can see the gradual progression. 

Edited by Darius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think she's underrated. Liberation and Aguilera are both fantastic albums. Yes, she chose to focus on motherhood and didn't promote them too heavily, but the truth is neither did her label. She deserves to be seen on the level of other great vocalists of today, like Adele, for eg, who is also not a solid promoter but has a much better push from her label, especially in regards to touring and venue locations.

I also just think her power vocals are not as appreciated in this zeitgeist. There was a thread about YB being too loud (as an insult) and while I get the point and kinda agree (although I absolutely love that bop), it got me thinking how the GP basically just want boring background Tiktok music for the most part dominating their charts. There's still a lot of great talent today (Olivia, Billie, etc), but a lot of talent also goes ignored. That's probably always been true, though.

One of thing I know for sure... miss Xtina does not care about how the GP sees her. That girl is one of the most confident artists I've ever come across. 

• Like 2

I had a feeling you were another one of the Xtina stans, it’s very popular of them to be using my fave as cammoflage :eli:

I think she is slightly under rated tbh, but her catalogue is semi panned and she couldn’t last more than two eras. I think she needed a better creative.  All her hits are collabs, to me it shows her voice needs to be balanced with other artists. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

She has one of the most notable and celebrated voices in her generation. She just doesn’t have a memorable career and her inspiration is overly attributed and often reduced to Stripped. Nobody wants to be the next Christina Aguilera for instance.

Lana Del Rey for example is hugely underrated. The fact that she has inspired a whole ass generation with her music is a testament of that, yet the industry keeps paying her dust despite the fact she drives in outstanding crowds and record breaking music for whatever reason.

• Like 1

No, Janet is.

Christina is in a weird position where her influence cannot be denied but she is not as remembered or celebrated as her peers. What went wrong? After B2B she underperformed aside from huge feature hits. Yet that same success didn't translate into her solo career.

She would struggle to sell out an arena tour and it's sad considering how huge she was. She did a UK tour a couple of years back for Liberation and the stats were poor.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

51 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Her main legacy is Stripped, which gets lots of credit imo so not really. I think Kylie, Janet, Carly Rae, Robyn, and Nelly Furtado are more underrated. 

Kylie is literally the best selling Australian born act of all time with numerous records under her belt :rip:

Didn’t know she was underrated. 
Whitney Houston has even given her credit. I think you mean most forgotten. 

Edited by God_Donna

4 minutes ago, P.O.P said:

Kylie is literally the best selling Australian born act of all time with numerous records under her belt :rip:

Sure, but as an American she’s not as well known as she deserves to be here. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.