What’s with people writing in lowercase?

bjorn

One time in college a professor straight up said 3 of us in the class submitted an essay in all-lower caps and he said if anyone does that again, he will slash their grade for that essay by half. :rip:

To make it worse, it was an English class.

We need disclaimers on why artists use lower caps for their music because clearly something happened and convinced my classmates that this is okay to do in a college essay. 

I don't get it either. Shift+ is literally the easiest thing ever. And phones automatically capitalize the first word of the sentence 

Lack of vitamins during pregnancy.

Teenagers always have some weird writing/spelling trend to seem edgy and cool, because they have yet to develop a real personality. Like new acronyms, replacing letters with other letters, replacing letters with numbers etc. It's another passing fad

Edited by Dephira
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I've always found it odd, due to me having always been a language arts nerd. With all of the papers and essays I've had to write over the years, along with reports for my last job, it's just only natural for me to use correct grammar and sentence structure. I'm always in that mode, even through texting someone. For me, it would take effort to type incorrectly.

8 hours ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

holding down the shift button is inconvenient :swan:

This. I’m pretty sure it stemmed from internet/text message usage and lazy typing, which makes sense. The only reason my texts start with majuscules is because my phone keyboard is programmed to capitalize the first word of a sentence :thing:. Since a lot people/artists are used to typing/reading in all lowercase, maybe that’s why song titles are so often all in lowercase these days. 

On the flipside, I feel like all-caps song titles maybe come from a desire to avoid title case mistakes (it seems like most albums use all caps for the album/track list artwork), but I don’t really know. I’ve wondered before too if it’s for international appeal in countries where the Latin alphabet isn’t used, so using only one letter set makes it easier to read.

It's an avant-garde movement of writing born out of anger and dissent agaisnt the status quo of the authoritarian and oppressive ''grammatically correct" (according to WHO?) way and it seems to be working if it gets y'all MAD like this :clap3:

Personally, I ignore capitalisation for most things I do on my phone, like text messages, Twitter etc. simply because it's faster and more convenient that way. Similarly, I get it when people type in all lowercase on forums and stuff, although personally I don't. However, I draw the line at song/album/book titles. It looks ugly, it looks unprofessional, and it makes Spotify playlists looks like a huge mess – especially when there's titles that use correct capitalisation next to all uppercase and all lowercase ones (looking at you, ariana grande and BEYONCÉ). In my opinion, streaming platform should ban this, but oh well. 

Imagine caring this much. in fact i might just start.... Sike! :-*

mental illness is more like being so serious about grammar and how ppl write on the internet lmfao

It's the 'I'm diferrent ;)) and cool;)' crowd, every generation has them. it's one of those things they'll look back on and cringe, but they're harmless otherwise 

i've always typed in lowercase. it looks better

I mean guess on forums, twitter or discord it's no big deal.  but it drives me crazy if my usernames don't start with a lowercase :skull:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.