Hetero HIV infections overtake gay and bisexual cases in Scotland

Vermillion

1 hour ago, glitch said:

Gays are more clued up on sexual health so this isn't really a surprise. 

Hopefully another step closer to eradicating this disease. 

More like gays are big users of Prep so most of them avoid HIV but **** around without condoms... fewer HIV cases is a great thing, but let's not forget other STI like syphilis and gonnorhea rates are skyrocketing

7 minutes ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

That’s of course true, but at the same time there’s just as much willful disregard despite more awareness and education. At least that’s my experience.

IMG_3960.thumb.gif.e1f5b10dc6dc8e9f9ac85

For sure, there's still lot to do and there are still lot of gays who have risky behaviours but it still is annoying that in 2023 there's still people acting like HIV is just a gay thing and that straights don't have to worry about.

33 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

Stop them from donating blood :biblio:

Blood donation rules are the same for straight and gay people in the UK now. The rules say you have to wait 3 months after having anal sex with a new partner and don't single out gay men anymore.

6 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

this isn’t good news tho? i hope nobody has to suffer from this awful disease in the 21st century. people seeing this as some “gotcha!” moment are disturbing.

all of this. it doesn't matter which group of people are more affected or have more infections. 

the goal is to eradicate the disease altogether. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, glitch said:

Blood donation rules are the same for straight and gay people in the UK now. The rules say you have to wait 3 months after having anal sex with a new partner and don't single out gay men anymore.

That’s progress :clap3: 

unfortunately there are still unnecessary restrictions in place against gay and bisexual men in America.

• Like 1

Watch them get a cure out real fast now…

Edited by Peroxide

This is happening all over the place. Heterosexuals still think HIV is a gay disease and haven’t bothered getting educated on the matter. Meanwhile, gays are on PrEP. 

7 hours ago, Peroxide said:

Watch them get a cure out real fast now…

They’ve already cured it multiple times with bone marrow transplants. On top of that, we have medication to get those with HIV down to undetectable levels and have medication to prevent it in the first place. Now a vaccine is being studied. People in first world countries don’t die of AIDS today. People who don’t look after the health are the ones at risk. If you’re a heterosexual who thinks there’s nothing to worry about, chances are you’re at higher risk of contracting it. It’s entirely manageable though. 

8 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

That’s progress :clap3: 

unfortunately there are still unnecessary restrictions in place against gay and bisexual men in America.

No there aren’t. They got rid of that this year. Anyone can donate. 

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/news/2023/new-inclusive-screening-process-expands-blood-donor-eligibility.html#:~:text=This opens in a new window.&text=The American Red Cross is,deferrals based on sexual orientation.

8 hours ago, Dephira said:

More like gays are big users of Prep so most of them avoid HIV but **** around without condoms... fewer HIV cases is a great thing, but let's not forget other STI like syphilis and gonnorhea rates are skyrocketing

And 99% of them are treatable. Gays had to become educated about sex out of necessity. All heterosexuals know is pregnancy. None of this is surprising. 

Edited by Horizon Flame

Speaking from personal experience living in a super gay city - the LGBT, to me, seem better about getting tested and keeping up with their sexual health than straight people.  Most gay men I know are on PrEP, and to stay on PrEP, I'm required to get full labs done every 3 months. I've also gotten several vaccinations I didn't even know I needed because of my labs.  This is considered normal in the LGBT community.

My conversations with some of my straight friends have made them seem for lack of a better term really blase and naive about their sexual health. They'll hook up with men and never think much of it after as long as they're using condoms and on the pill. They seem to think as long as they don't get pregnant, they're fine, but there is so much more out there they should be a little more concerned about. In reality like if you're having sex with multiple people you really should be getting tested. Maybe they do and I'm not aware but I geniunely don't know if it even crosses their mind sometimes. HIV specifically is a disease I barely ever hear straight people even mention when it can in fact very much affect them too. I blame the branding of HIV as a "gay disease" at its peak for why straight people don't take it seriously enough. I'm curious if more straight people will ever start being offered PrEP tbh.  When I have mentioned PrEP my straight friend seem to have no idea what I'm talking about.

10 hours ago, Tropez said:

Did anyone read the article? While straight people are getting more infections. LGBTQ people are hit hard due to being a smaller demographic. The percentage of people being infected in that group is more important than the total infections. 

Yes, but also in the article it mentions that even those numbers are getting better. It’s progress. 

But yes, you need to read the articles 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:44 AM, Lana Banana said:

Eradicate the straights

What a horrific thing to say in response to rising HIV infections

2 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

What a horrific thing to say in response to rising HIV infections

Am I supposed to feel sorry for a community that's been neglecting my community for decades? It's a given most of these people don't practice safe sex.

6 hours ago, Lana Banana said:

Am I supposed to feel sorry for a community that's been neglecting my community for decades? It's a given most of these people don't practice safe sex.

I’m sorry you think that these random young people in Scotland, most of whom weren’t alive during the AIDS crisis, somehow personally hurt the gay community and deserve a life sentence of HIV. And btw “feeling sorry” is not the same as cheering on their death from a virus.

Edited by PoisonPill

42 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

I’m sorry you think that these random young people in Scotland, most of whom weren’t alive during the AIDS crisis, somehow personally hurt the gay community and deserve a life sentence of HIV. And btw “feeling sorry” is not the same as cheering on their death from a virus.

If you can’t take a joke then :rip: I’m not manifesting death on them or anything. It’s like saying “electric chair”. Take a chill pill

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.