Biden becomes 1st president in US history to join a picket line

Chemist

A solid/great move. 

However it would have been much better if he didn’t break the rail strike. I know “he did so much behind the scenes!” Irrelevant. You don’t break a strike. Period. 

As a former union member (I still have my card) it was a massive stab in the back to us, and there’s no explaining it away. 

Is he sizing them up so he can crush them harder than the railroad strikers?

:khaylan2:

• Haha 1

literally pointing and laughing in our faces :deadbanana4: the fact that y'all still think Biden and most Dems give a an ounce of a **** about workers and their rights is absolutely soul crushing to be completely honest

be ******* serious please

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, Harrier said:

Biden becoming the most pro-union president of our lifetimes was not on my bingo card but I do love to see it

The bar is literally on the floor :ahh: 

5 minutes ago, AMIT said:

literally pointing and laughing in our faces :deadbanana4: the fact that y'all still think Biden and most Dems give a an ounce of a **** about workers and their rights is absolutely soul crushing to be completely honest

be ******* serious please

Democrats have been rather horrible on labor since LBJ, and in many ways Biden has been the same (breaking the rail strike means I will never fully take him seriously). 

His NLRB appointees though have been great on labor though, and has given workers a lot more power than expected 

My only criticism in this is that prog-liberals are falling into the trap of finding one thing Biden is okay on and milking it despite that, by virtue of him being a liberal, his approach to this good-thing will be the liberal way of soft regulations and guidances and oversight boards, etc. 

That is Democrats' problem - by being a party rooted in neoliberalism, they view problems as solvable through the market and the status quo itself still.

- College is too expensive? No, don't make a law that makes them at no cost to the public - just flood more grant money into the system with loose regulations at best on tuition prices!

- Workers have almost no rights in America (sick time not mandated by law, right to work laws meaning you can be fired for any reason at any time, the existence of the tipped minimum wage)? These things don't need Congress to legislate fixes! Implement an oversight board like the NLRB to give unions a helping hand in the labor market to report bad actors!

- Tens of millions cannot afford healthcare and millions more are denied treatment via private insurers? Don't abolish the private insurers but create an administrative system where people can receive a tax credit on the marketplace insurance plan they bought to recover the costs of premiums 12 months after billing!

This was the ideological conflict between leftists and liberals in the 2020 Democratic primary.

Even someone like Warren sided with the liberals, subscribing herself as just a "player in the game" and arguing it was silly to advocate for big, systematic changes.

The bite of being a pro-labor president is inherently undercut by failing to pass a minimum wage increase, for example.

But yes, this is very nice:

Edited by Communion
  • Like 1

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 most liberal and most pro union president in history 

Edited by GhostBox

Damn, him supporting workers really has the "progressives" mad. :ahh: Like, there is nothing to criticize here. Whether he is being "genuine" or not, the UAW are getting the national focus and support they need and deserve.

Dems need to hammer this home. This will win him the rust belt again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sannie said:

Damn, him supporting workers really has the "progressives" mad.

This is such a weird critique given that the actual reality of why Biden is even on this picket line is because progressives have been overly praising of his minimal actions with regards to labor, as a hope to try and convince him to do more.

2 hours ago, Sannie said:

Damn, him supporting workers really has the "progressives" mad. :ahh: Like, there is nothing to criticize here. Whether he is being "genuine" or not, the UAW are getting the national focus and support they need and deserve.

1 hour ago, Communion said:

This is such a weird critique given that the actual reality of why Biden is even on this picket line is because progressives have been overly praising of his minimal actions with regards to labor, as a hope to try and convince him to do more.

Communion is correct. Progressives have largely been happy and supportive of the move he made. Nobody’s “fuming”. 

If Biden never busted the rail strike, I would actually give his record on labor as president a solid “B” just because his NLRB appointees have been actually pretty great, if not outright historic: https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news-story/us-circuit-court-directs-us-marshals-to-take-haven-salon-spa-corporate

But, breaking a strike lowers him massively. MASSIVELY 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sannie said:

He could also give them the focus and support they need by not breaking up a strike :gaycat2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.