NYT: “Americans are down on Biden. But why does his party keep winning elections”?

Bears01

This seems to just blatantly ignore the old adage that all politics is local?

It's so odd seeing Democrats thrive with progressive policies at the state level yet then this be used as a defense of Biden who does not agree with these policies. 

most people just vote for their party regardless of who the frontrunning character is.  When you just vote for a party across all candidates, how many people actually know who the local sheriff is, or the mayor, etc.  They just vote down party lines.  Biden is just a face, but voting for the ideals is what you vote for.

my mom votes republican cuz she is against abortion.  Simple as that.

8 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Again. What policies? Not being Trump? Because that's the only policy of his that's succeeded, and barely, since his policies in practice haven't been all that different.

Is the Inflation Reduction Act considered his policy? Because that is having a major impact on the economy and the environment

Literally Democrats are solely winning because the Republican party is that bad. If the Republicans decide to be competent and not psychotic Democrats will be wiped so fast. 2022 was such an easy lay up but they like to keep chasing abortion and other unpopular issues while trying to cause bs social outrage most dont care about. 

38 minutes ago, If U Seek Amy said:

Literally Democrats are solely winning because the Republican party is that bad. If the Republicans decide to be competent and not psychotic Democrats will be wiped so fast. 2022 was such an easy lay up but they like to keep chasing abortion and other unpopular issues while trying to cause bs social outrage most dont care about. 

You're soooo close... yet still sooo wrong.

Democrats are on the right side of the abortion issue. The issue is that they think being on the right side of the abortion issue makes up for being on the wrong side (along with the GOP) of the class war and the cost of living skyrocketing. 

Democrats should not be looking to sway Republican voters. Republicans are hyper-partisan troglodytes who will never vote for a Democrat. It's time to stop pretending so. There is no swing voters. There are activated vs disillusioned voters. Dems need to fight for good economic policy for the fact that their base can go from activated to disillusioned by virtue of being poorer than the six-figure salary elites who make up the GOP base.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chemist said:

Is the Inflation Reduction Act considered his policy? Because that is having a major impact on the economy and the environment

In terms of environmental impact, it’s a wash due to the pipeline Biden had to promise Manchin to get it over the finish line. In terms of economic impact, actual Americans aren’t feeling it, but it’s certainly great for the billionaire donors that are contributing to Biden’s campaign.

1 hour ago, Communion said:

You're soooo close... yet still sooo wrong.

Democrats are on the right side of the abortion issue. The issue is that they think being on the right side of the abortion issue makes up for being on the wrong side (along with the GOP) of the class war and the cost of living skyrocketing. 

Democrats should not be looking to sway Republican voters. Republicans are hyper-partisan troglodytes who will never vote for a Democrat. It's time to stop pretending so. There is no swing voters. There are activated vs disillusioned voters. Dems need to fight for good economic policy for the fact that their base can go from activated to disillusioned by virtue of being poorer than the six-figure salary elites who make up the GOP base.

sorry I misspoke rushing out a post before going back to work. Abortion is not an unpopular issue at all. It is quite popular and very important. But yeah I totally agree they are on the wrong side of things and all that. 

I do however think there are swing voters, just not many of them, just from my personal experience. Much of my family and family of friends are swing voters from discussions and actively flip back and forth depending on the individual candidate and their history/platform, while some are clearly activated/disillusioned. And if candidates do not perform, they will flip on a dime depending for the swing people and they actually research and know stuff. I just think it is very rare and honestly probably does not impact a ton. But I do agree that I think there are many activated/disillusioned voters, and especially moreso than true swing voters that impact things for sure sadly. And Democrats fail to properly address that and are getting lucky

because politics is all about choosing the lessor of 2 evils. 

Cheetoo Wig really had both Dems and Repubs upset with all his damn antics. 

plus the Republicans haven't been having the best image with the media as of late. 

2 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

In terms of environmental impact, it’s a wash due to the pipeline Biden had to promise Manchin to get it over the finish line. In terms of economic impact, actual Americans aren’t feeling it, but it’s certainly great for the billionaire donors that are contributing to Biden’s campaign.

Eh, it’s having a good economic impact (but in red states.) The most tangible things about the law so far are: https://apnews.com/article/irs-millionaires-back-taxes-2624282ac20388311bd03ee76ae36f70

And when Medicare can negotiate drug prices, but unfortunately that won’t kick in till 2026 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:51 PM, ClashAndBurn said:

Again. What policies? Not being Trump? Because that's the only policy of his that's succeeded, and barely, since his policies in practice haven't been all that different.

My area is getting a new bridge that we have desperately needed for decades because of the Infrastructure bill. It is something Trump and Obama both promised but only Biden delivered on. 

---

The whole "Biden is unpopular" thing is dependent on polling, which we all know has been whack since 2016. I would also argue that the Republicans have just become so ridiculously, stupidly extreme that most people just can not vote for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.