​Have you ever said "no" to your boss calling you to replace an absent worker ?

MoonGoodandHappy

Have you ever said "no" to your boss calling you to replace an absent worker ? I only said "no" 2 times in 3 years and each time I refused, i felt so guilty... What about you ? :giraffe:

Edited by MoonGoodandHappy

All the time. I work 70ish hours a week, someone called off? Damn that sucks, see y’all on my next scheduled day 

9 minutes ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

All the time. I work 70ish hours a week, someone called off? Damn that sucks, see y’all on my next scheduled day 

what do yall be doing to be working this many hours omg i wanna jump off a cliff with 37 hours p/w..

I always try not to go over my working hours and the labor laws in the Netherlands are quite good so you can confidently say no

if i have no plans i'll take the extra hours, otherwise it's a no + good luck 

and no i don't feel guilty about it. work is not my life 

31 minutes ago, May said:

what do yall be doing to be working this many hours omg i wanna jump off a cliff with 37 hours p/w..

Nursing. Trust me the cliff is always in the back of my mind 

This only happened when I was in retail and  I just started ignoring the phone when they’d call. Retail work hours are HELL so I was going to enjoy the little time off I got. Nowadays, I don’t think this scenario is possible as I work in Marketing and we all do the same days / hours. 

Yes, although now I work a job in which this notion does not exist!

The overtime pay at my job is good so I usually accept but my work are generally chill so it’s fine if I say no.

Yes because it’s not my responsibility to fill someone else’s workload. If it’s my day off, I’m sleeping in and my phone is on airplane mode (it always is when I’m asleep), so if you call, it’s going directly to voicemail. Sorry, not sorry.

• Like 2

I have in the past when I was working in retail, multiple times actually. Now I'm 9-5 and the only person in my role so I'm comfortable :giraffe:

This happened on my birthday 10 years ago where my shift ended at 6:00. One of the tellers needed to leave early so they asked me to stay in their place and close their till for them. I declined and said that I had birthday plans that I wasn’t going to miss. I think my boss was annoyed but in the grand scheme of things I’m glad I stood up for myself.

My bosses are so nice regarding if I need a day off or vacation, so I usually say yes unless I have other plans. If I can’t, I don’t feel guilty, it’s not my problem.

When I was a student working at McDonald's, I always said "sorry I can't", without providing a reason. It's not a big deal at all, they just move on to asking the next person. They still made me a manager, and when it was my job to ask people to come in I also did not care when people said no. 

Yes, a few times. Especially if it's a late request. 

Yes

spacer.png

I do feel bad saying No but I always remind myself that those that call off get no disciplinary action taken against them so I shouldn’t either for rejecting a shift. 

Of course, more times than not. "I'm busy and have plans today I can't cancel, sorry." I'm not inconveniencing myself so you can be convenienced, especially when I know it's something you can still handle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.