Will & Grace premiered 25 years ago

lillavend3r

Starring the first openly gay lead characters on US Broadcast television, this iconique show helped change the general public's view regarding LGBTQ+ rights, (despite still perpetuating some stereotypes) and opened doors for gay centric tv shows that premiered after. Karen & Jack still the best characters though.

:nicole:

sean-hayes-jack-mcfarland.gif

zCm_t8.gif

jack-and-karen-denied.gif

• Thanks 1

This show should have always been about Karen and Jack :heart:

• Thumbs Down 1

• ATRL Moderator

No clue if it holds up, I haven't watched it in so long. But this is actually iconic culture!

8 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

No clue if it holds up, I haven't watched it in so long. But this is actually iconic culture!

It's still amazing, especially the earlier seasons. Karen's humor holds up so well!

• ATRL Moderator

Definitely a hallmark of progress for representation on mainstream TV.

I personally don’t think it holds up. I loved it when I was younger. But Will and Grace’s relationship is annoyingly codependent to the point of being grossly heteronormative (the baby repeated storylines are the peak of this criticism). But Karen is still fantastic. 

They still show all the seasons here on Comedy Central. It’s always on.

• Like 1

at the time, i only watched kid/teen shows so didn't really know about it.

but in '99, both dawson's creek and buffy started their queer storylines which was great. maybe they were encouraged by w&g the previous year?

I watched it with my mom in middle school and she was somehow shocked when I came out at 14 💀

Edited by Redstreak
  • Haha 1

The show is iconic and my fav one. Too bad Megan and Debra had a fall out in the reboot, it ruined my view on the show. 

gosh the OG seasons are still hugely entertaining and top-tier humor and writing. like kinda insane the massive difference in quality in network tv shows now.

• Like 1

I loved the show and used to watch it before school as a kid. That being said, I think it hasn't held up super well but it was pretty groundbreaking at the time. Karen was the moment. 

• Like 1

it's still really fun, especially Karen and jack. doesn't get enough credit for how groundbreaking it was

• Like 1

This show literally RAISED me lol I remember asking my dad what a homosexual was because I heard it while watching W&G.

I think it holds extremely well, better than a lot of sitcoms. It's literally joke after joke, too bad they couldn't capture the same magic in the reboot (the skit they did for the elections was SO good).

I need Netflix or Amazon to put it on streaming ASAP

• Like 1

Really iconic and had a strong impact on me as a kid. It also definitely helped shape the more progressive LGBT attitudes towards the late 90s.

This is my fave scene:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.