What is up with the obsession of being stick-skinny?

zasderfght

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Nowadays thick women & dad bod men are praised more now vs being skinny so.

On men yes it’s praised since most male bodies are accepted but thick women are “praised” more in a way of “support” and “I’m here for you, girl!” Type of thing. Not in a way of “she’s hot as ****” type of way the way dad bods are praised.

1 hour ago, réveuse said:

Being skinny or skinny adjacent was always the "thing" in more recent history.

But the 90s-2000s trend of being really thin is back on now (We often see trends repeat or comeback 20-30 years from that time period. Being stick skinny flat was a trend in the 20s, came back in the 60s, came back in the 90s, and is coming back now.). No more Kardashian butts, no more overfilled lips.

90s_beauty.jpg

spacer.png

That's why you see stars like Bella Hadid blowing up right now.

Bella fell off lol haven’t heard much of her the last year. Same as Gigi. Kendall has remained at the top and Hailey is slowly but surely becoming more IT.

1 minute ago, SoExcited19 said:

Bella fell off lol haven’t heard much of her the last year. Same as Gigi. Kendall has remained at the top and Hailey is slowly but surely becoming more IT.

I still hear about Bella.

1 minute ago, réveuse said:

I still hear about Bella.

Not as much as from 2019-2021. I think she’s the best looking when she wants to be but her IG pictures and paparazzi looks can be so off. It’s as if she’s trying to look her worse at times while Hailey who’s the least attractive posts the best pictures of her all glamed up and a amazing style.

21 minutes ago, SoExcited19 said:

On men yes it’s praised since most male bodies are accepted but thick women are “praised” more in a way of “support” and “I’m here for you, girl!” Type of thing. Not in a way of “she’s hot as ****” type of way the way dad bods are praised.

Step on over in the Black community its holds the same amount of praise. 

24 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

Idk. I’ve battled an eating disorder for a long time, started seeing health consequences & have had to put on weight. Being “stick skinny” isn’t a party either, we all do the best we can!

You should be extremely proud of the progress you’ve made. I apologize for not using more inclusive language in my post! 

12 minutes ago, Devin said:

Step on over in the Black community its holds the same amount of praise. 

Yeah but the black community has always been about praising that in both ways cause the majority of black women are on the thicker side so it was bound to happen. We need that international praise. Those white and European boys saying “Lizzo is hot Af!” Which is clearly not seen very often.

Edited by SoExcited19

idk it’s getting to be too much

for a while in the 2010s Kim K made “thick” popular (though, in reality, women still needed to have a small waist, just encouraged to have a big butt and thighs) but I honestly think Lizzo had a lot to do with making fatness uncool again (so you skinny b*txhes should be singing her praises if anything!)

so for the past few years “heroine chic” has come back HARD and it’s a little insane. ultimately i think the message of the body positivity movement is important and that we should all accept our bodies as they are as long as we’re taking care of ourselves and our health

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For who? 

It was never in style for MEN to be stick skinny. In fact that is considered very unattractive for men. Men being skinny is seen as them being weak. Muscles or at least fit and toned has always been the standard for men. 

This topic must be about women. Because I cannot think of one time skinny was fashionable for men. 

4 hours ago, réveuse said:

Being skinny or skinny adjacent was always the "thing" in more recent history.

But the 90s-2000s trend of being really thin is back on now (We often see trends repeat or comeback 20-30 years from that time period. Being stick skinny flat was a trend in the 20s, came back in the 60s, came back in the 90s, and is coming back now.). No more Kardashian butts, no more overfilled lips.

90s_beauty.jpg

spacer.png

That's why you see stars like Bella Hadid blowing up right now.

They’re not stick thin. 

• Thumbs Down 1

42 minutes ago, Tropez said:

For who? 

It was never in style for MEN to be stick skinny. In fact that is considered very unattractive for men. Men being skinny is seen as them being weak. Muscles or at least fit and toned has always been the standard for men. 

This topic must be about women. Because I cannot think of one time skinny was fashionable for men. 

Heroin chic of the 90s. Male models looked like skeletons. 

Edited by Horizon Flame

13 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

Heroin chic of the 90s. Male models looked like skeletons. 

The widely considered most attractive in the 90s were all fit men with muscle. Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Will Smith, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, etc.

The male super models were all muscular. Even this Vogue article on them mentioned muscle. 

https://www.vogue.com/article/90s-male-models-tyson-beckford-marcus-schenkenberg

So what on gods earth are you even talking about? Heroin chic was fashionable for women only. And that was more mid to late 90s. Early 90s had more curvaceous women. 

4 hours ago, John Slayne said:

you calling it 'stick skinny' is part of the problem. some people really struggle with food and EDs so calling them sticks is not really helpful.

also, some of us are just naturally thin, not because we watch our calories, but because we just are. we are not 'obsessed' with it, and it is kinda hurtful when people get triggered by our bodies and assume we are shallow or that we are trying to promote unhealthy body image. 

This. I've always been super skinny naturally and have often been told I need to "EAT!". *****, I've been eating, believe me. :rip: It takes EFFORT for me to bulk up. I was force feeding myself for a while in an attempt to get the "ideal" body that so many gays love. Thankfully I just don't care as much anymore. 

• Like 1

Back in my early/mid 20s I was obsessed with being as skinny as possible, but in my late 20s I find myself more attracted to people with some meat on their bones, so I have let myself gain some weight too. I went from skinny to average body type and I think I look way better tbh. I feel way happier about my body now. 

18 hours ago, zasderfght said:

I’m sorry for using that language, and I’m glad you pointed it out. 

To clarify, I don’t think being skinny is the problem. I think chasing a specific/certain body type is unhealthy. I apologize if my language muddied the waters of my message! 

I have friends with eating disorders (or who have recovered from eating disorders), and they truly struggle a lot with the mental component of it. 

it's okay sis! i just think the conversation is more complicated and especially along the lines of gender - like other users pointed out, being very thin is not really the beauty standard for amab people. and that's why i get annoyed with lot of body positivity online, especially in the gay community people make fun of thin guys all day long to uplift other body types and it's like... why can't we put someone up without putting someone else down? it's not a competition, everyone deserves to feel comfortable in their own body. 

i don't mean this to come across as whining, thin privilege definitely exists, i love my body and i have a good life, but it's really not like everyone bows down to me because i'm a thin man. but like i said, not everyone who is thin is 'chasing' that body type and i don't think it's fair to assume that every thin person on social media just fell for the trap and is trying to promote unhealthy lifestyle. i think very often it's just people projecting their own insecurities and blaming thin folks on their own body image issues, when in reality we all struggle with it.

I dont believe anyone who says I hate being skinny because I'm made fun of!!!!

Everyone who is skinny loves it and thinks they're better than others

2 hours ago, John Slayne said:

it's okay sis! i just think the conversation is more complicated and especially along the lines of gender - like other users pointed out, being very thin is not really the beauty standard for amab people. and that's why i get annoyed with lot of body positivity online, especially in the gay community people make fun of thin guys all day long to uplift other body types and it's like... why can't we put someone up without putting someone else down? it's not a competition, everyone deserves to feel comfortable in their own body. 

i don't mean this to come across as whining, thin privilege definitely exists, i love my body and i have a good life, but it's really not like everyone bows down to me because i'm a thin man. but like i said, not everyone who is thin is 'chasing' that body type and i don't think it's fair to assume that every thin person on social media just fell for the trap and is trying to promote unhealthy lifestyle. i think very often it's just people projecting their own insecurities and blaming thin folks on their own body image issues, when in reality we all struggle with it.

Yeah, no particular body type should be shamed/bullied/belittled. I guess the reason why I used skinny as an example is because there's been threads on here about people asking if they'd date someone "fat" (which alone is a horrible question), or there's been posts with people comparing being overweight to heroin abuse. Since I'm overweight, I feel like I get the brunt of criticisms on here (not personally or indirectly), but seeing comments like "put the fatties on a diet" is just soul-crushing. I exercise every day. I actually really only eat foods like salmon, eggs, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken, turkey burgers (made out of just turkey), chicken salads, oats, etc. I don't eat "junky" foods, I don't drink sodas or alcohol; but I am on two medications that both can cause weight gain, and I've tried other medications that might not cause weight gain, and they do not work at all for my chronic pain. I HAVE to be on the meds I'm on. And this is not to say eating "junk foods" are bad-- I'm just saying I'm doing things that would cause one to maintain or lose their weight (if that's the desired goal). 

Either way, I agree with you that we should push the message that you should love your body. You have only one of them, and not everyone is made the same. And that's okay! I rather people be mentally-healthy, be able to move around (if they can & if it's healthy for them-- we forget that people might have fractures or spinal injuries, or just aches/pains that are completely searing, even with meds), and get some vitamin D/step out into the sun, if at all possible. It really just bothers me that people are so in each other's business. Like, if a stranger doesn't have a 6-pack, or if a stranger has a "belly," why does it matter? Are these people your patients? Are you their doctor? Are you these people? Like, make it make sense, ATRL.

I think changing your body in general to achieve a ‘desirable’ figure, whatever that means, due to negative comments on social media or from people you know is a major problem. If it’s not broke (health-wise), don’t fix it!

On 9/23/2023 at 11:53 AM, Antisocialites said:

capitalism :cm:

Unironically this. Overproduction of commodities is a sign of the failure of capitalism and the commodification of one's own body ends up just being a further extension of that. And it all roots back to sexual objectification and misogyny. Studies showing straight men are less likely to stop and help a woman in danger if they don't' find her sexually attractive. :biblio:

On 9/23/2023 at 4:47 PM, nadiamendell said:

This. I've always been super skinny naturally and have often been told I need to "EAT!". *****, I've been eating, believe me. :rip: It takes EFFORT for me to bulk up. I was force feeding myself for a while in an attempt to get the "ideal" body that so many gays love. Thankfully I just don't care as much anymore. 

I'm a woman but can relate. I have never been praised for being skinny because I'm not the good type of skinny lmao. People always feel like they have to comment on my body and make remarks. It is annoying to the point I wish I could gain weight and I dont like looking at myself in the mirror. 

I just wish people would stop commenting on people's body. It is none of your business. And a body type should not become a trend.

• Like 1

It always seem as if half of the posts about threads such as this always consist of skinny people detailing their misery about being skinny. 

I have lost a lot of weight and have maintained that weight loss (after going up and down for years) for enough time where a large group of people only ever knew me as a skinny person. I don’t have abs or biceps or anything like that, so hardly the type to be viewed as hot. People commenting that I am too skinny and I need to eat more? Sure, it’s annoying. But it does not compare to what it was when I was overweight. 

I don’t drink, I dislike the taste. A lot of people tell me I need to drink more. But I don’t feel the need to tell my stories on threads about alcoholism. 

Dadbods are still very much in the vein of masculine body types that have been celebrated over the years. The concept of a man being viewed as more good looking with age is not new.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.