What is up with the obsession of being stick-skinny?

zasderfght

I've noticed in a lot of threads people are so obsessed with being stick-skinny. I rather people eat enough, get enough sleep, stay hydrated, and that they're mentally and physically okay. Yes, being overweight/obese can pose medical problems, but so can being too underweight. 

There are other factors that can potentially contribute to weight gain, like stress, hormones, medication changes, and/or chronic pain. 

Also, why judge people who are overweight or underweight? If you are not a certain pant size, should you just be bullied online for not fitting into a pant size? Does your worth diminish because you're not a Twink like Troye Sivan? 

I really think we can do better. 

I know ATRL doesn't have to be serious all the time, but at the end of day, we're still people and we should look out for each other being an LGBTQ+ community, where the straights (some of you are, and you are wonderful) are not exactly our best friends. 

I know I might've made hiccups and insensitive comments on here, and if I personally offended any of you, or I was in the wrong-- for that, I'm deeply sorry, and I'm still trying to learn and grow. 

I think we should stop trying to chase a certain body type or waistline, appreciate the bodies we have currently, and just try to be as healthy and happy as we can possibly be! 

Edited by zasderfght
  • Like 4

I go online and look at everyone. Beautiful people sing to me. Everyone’s gotten really good at the same thing. I look at arched backs and wet flower mouths, the right bag, the right sunglasses. I wonder if it feels as good as it looks, it’s been so long since I chose the best picture from a hundred, lined it up like pulling an arrow taut in a bow, and let it go. Everyone looks very thin. Just thinking that makes me feel tired and far away. I’m not sure if it’s having an effect on anyone else. I keep spending money, wondering if what’s in the package will make me feel right, but I guess I buy the wrong things.

• Haha 2

There will always be an obsession with being skinny, even during the height of the "body positivity" movement, it never went anywhere.

With that said, I agree with your takes. We are human and not everyone is going to have a perfect body, health should be prioritized over anything else. But, I do have a problem with people saying that being overweight is okay as long as you're "healthy", because being overweight will eventually lead to health problems. We need to stop perpetuating the idea that being overweight is okay. Yes, overweight people deserve respect just like everybody else, but it's not okay, it's a real problem in my country, and people should focus on bettering their health versus trying to shame others for being "fatphobic" simply for having common sense and standards.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

There will always be an obsession with being skinny, even during the height of the "body positivity" movement, it never went anywhere.

With that said, I agree with your takes. We are human and not everyone is going to have a perfect body, health should be prioritized over anything else. But, I do have a problem with people saying that being overweight is okay as long as you're "healthy", because being overweight will eventually lead to health problems. We need to stop perpetuating the idea that being overweight is okay. Yes, overweight people deserved respect just like everybody else, but it's not okay, it's a real problem in my country, and people should focus on bettering their health versus trying to shame others for being "fatphoic" simply for having common sense and standards.

That's a fair take. Yes, being overweight/obese poses additional health concerns-- I'm not disagreeing with that; I do wish, like you pointed out, health should be prioritized over anything else. 

Being skinny or skinny adjacent was always the "thing" in more recent history.

But the 90s-2000s trend of being really thin is back on now (We often see trends repeat or comeback 20-30 years from that time period. Being stick skinny flat was a trend in the 20s, came back in the 60s, came back in the 90s, and is coming back now.). No more Kardashian butts, no more overfilled lips.

90s_beauty.jpg

spacer.png

That's why you see stars like Bella Hadid blowing up right now.

Edited by réveuse
  • Like 1

I don't understand why skinny is a goal. Personally being very skinny as a guy is not something I ever enjoyed in my life. From the constant bullying, people making comments on your weight or making you feel lesser than because of it, it is a torturous cycle that I always wish I could get out of but it is so hard. The body standards in the gay community don't help either.

• Like 3

It's actually heartbreaking to come across so many plus size guys who are insecure about their weight, especially when they're so very attractive. Being stick skinny doesn't even equate to being attractive, in and of itself, anyway; whereas someone plus size could still be drop dead sexy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Janet said:

Is 80 percent of the population twink now? Hot 

im talking about men lol and my point stands

you calling it 'stick skinny' is part of the problem. some people really struggle with food and EDs so calling them sticks is not really helpful.

also, some of us are just naturally thin, not because we watch our calories, but because we just are. we are not 'obsessed' with it, and it is kinda hurtful when people get triggered by our bodies and assume we are shallow or that we are trying to promote unhealthy body image. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mystery said:

Personally being very skinny as a guy is not something I ever enjoyed in my life. From the constant bullying, people making comments on your weight or making you feel lesser than because of it, it is a torturous cycle that I always wish I could get out of but it is so hard.

this resonates with me. i've learned to love and appreciate my body as i grew up, but i used to get so much hate for being skinny in high school (from kids, teachers, doctors, parents, etc). i'm not trying to be skinny on purpose, that's just who i am. i try to be healthy and that's that. 

• Like 3

Is this for women? Because among gays, it feels like the trend is to be ripped or “swole” and not stick skinny :confused:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mystery said:

I don't understand why skinny is a goal. Personally being very skinny as a guy is not something I ever enjoyed in my life. From the constant bullying, people making comments on your weight or making you feel lesser than because of it, it is a torturous cycle that I always wish I could get out of but it is so hard. The body standards in the gay community don't help either.

I sometimes feel like it doesn't matter if you're skinny, fat, skinny-fat, muscled up... even on ATRL you can read how people have toxic views on different body types. Maybe it's my insecurity but I went from overweight to skinny to skinny fat to trying to get muscles and it never feels like enough lol

• Like 1

Maybe for women, but as a man no one ever praised me for being skinny growing up. It was one of the reasons I started going to the gym. I feel much more comfortable in my body now. Idk if that was the most mentally healthy approach but whatever

:khaylan2:

People only love skinny men when they have that runway model aesthetic (tall, long hair etc)

Edited by glitch

40 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

you calling it 'stick skinny' is part of the problem. some people really struggle with food and EDs so calling them sticks is not really helpful.

also, some of us are just naturally thin, not because we watch our calories, but because we just are. we are not 'obsessed' with it, and it is kinda hurtful when people get triggered by our bodies and assume we are shallow or that we are trying to promote unhealthy body image. 

I’m sorry for using that language, and I’m glad you pointed it out. 

To clarify, I don’t think being skinny is the problem. I think chasing a specific/certain body type is unhealthy. I apologize if my language muddied the waters of my message! 

I have friends with eating disorders (or who have recovered from eating disorders), and they truly struggle a lot with the mental component of it. 

Edited by zasderfght

38 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

this resonates with me. i've learned to love and appreciate my body as i grew up, but i used to get so much hate for being skinny in high school (from kids, teachers, doctors, parents, etc). i'm not trying to be skinny on purpose, that's just who i am. i try to be healthy and that's that. 

Same, sis! I just try to eat foods I like that meet my health needs :) 

Idk. I’ve battled an eating disorder for a long time, started seeing health consequences & have had to put on weight. Being “stick skinny” isn’t a party either, we all do the best we can!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.