Democrat switches to Republican after winning

SmittenCake

Someone should investigate how much money he received for making this switch. 

10 minutes ago, Park Jinyoung said:

Not again :redface:

At least it’s mostly a useless office like the mayor, and not the deciding vote to give the GOP a veto proof majority in the state legislature like in North Carolina or anything! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

“American cities need Republicans, and Republicans need American cities.” 

A very articulate article presenting facts, positivity, and logic. I expect the majority of users on this site (and the populace in general) to not only NOT read this, but also respond with the same vapid echo chamber comments he specifically is calling to an end for. I wish more people could have coherent, intelligent conversations rather than resorting to cheap stereotypes that are vehemently resented when it’s the other way around. 

Political philosophy/party aside, do you genuinely believe an Op-Ed by a politician who waits until after the election to change their party affiliation represents an honest articulation of their views? 

I think you’re confusing style with substance here. His entire argument is that he’s switching to be a Republican because he values tough-on-crime policies and fiscal responsibility while also acknowledging he was doing all those things while being a Democrat during his first term.

He does not indicate why those specific values were incompatible with him remaining a Democrat, nor explain what values he used to have made him not want to previously identify as a Republican. 

In fact, he literally commits to changing 0% from who he used to be. So the question becomes, if there’s literally no difference in how you intend to legislate, nor in what you value, what is the reason for this change in affiliation, and what is the reason for announcing it now? It’s two major questions he doesn’t answer. 

Edited by Rotunda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

How does anything you just typed have to do with the turmoil going on in America’s Democrat run, major cities? Do you have a solution? An argument? A perspective that isn’t mass media minted rhetoric? Try again. 

Turmoil? In cities? When neatly half off America's ruby red suburbs have white teenagers stealing pills from their parents' medicine cabinets and becoming full blown heroin addicts? Fearmongering over urban areas and cities is so disingenuous when the American suburb at this point is the most dysfunctional type of place to live in. Problems in low income areas are simply explained as the result of the struggles of poverty. How do you explain away dysfunction in GOP-voting suburbs with six figures median incomes? Why is your average Republican millennial Johnny heavily addicted to coke and using his crypto scheme to buy up empty apartments as investment properties and inadvertently cause a housing shortage that results in the very same homeless people his mother gets scared of when going shopping with the girls?

You think someone stealing a few canned goods in these "inner city crime sprees" is a bigger deal than that?

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, luckythisway said:

“American cities need Republicans, and Republicans need American cities.” 

A very articulate article presenting facts, positivity, and logic. I expect the majority of users on this site (and the populace in general) to not only NOT read this, but also respond with the same vapid echo chamber comments he specifically is calling to an end for. I wish more people could have coherent, intelligent conversations rather than resorting to cheap stereotypes that are vehemently resented when it’s the other way around. 

We don’t need to read it to know that any official who is elected to represent a certain party in a DEMOCRACY shouldn’t switch. That article could be the most articulate and intelligent article ever written and it wouldn’t negate that point.

He should be disqualified. 

2 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Grounds for recall. That said, I have begun voting for Republicans in the local city races. But I would never ever vote Republican in a national election.

what??? WHY? :deadvision:

2 hours ago, AMIT said:

what??? WHY? :deadvision:

They probably value low property taxes over human rights. 

• Haha 1

He is inconsequential in Dallas. The Dallas city council has ALL THE POWER. He is just a nominal head. He won't achieve anything with this move.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.