Does GUTS deserve its 91 MC score?

Treason

GUTS  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Does GUTS deserve its 91 Metacritic score?

• It deserves higher than 90-91.
    • Yes, it deserves the 90-91 score.
    • It deserves an 80-89.
    • It deserves a 70-79.
    • It deserves a 60-69.
    • It deserves a 59 or lower.

I'd probably give it an 87 or 88. so I'll say it deserves the 90.

it's definitely a step above SOUR and one of the best mainstream pop albums of the year, possibly the best.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDreamer

• Kimi

• Treason

• liquiddiamonds

This site lives, breathes and fights for Pop Music and then… drag when critics are on board. 

• Like 1

Why do some of you assume other users are "fuming" and "seething" because they have different opinions than you? :rip:

Anyway, no, I don't think it deserves a 90. It's cute and some of the tracks are great but 70-something would make more sense to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No. It deserves 80. 90 would be on the level of FN or NFR.

Honestly, no. Imo, scores in the 90s should be reserved for albums that are clear masterpieces/artistic achievements, absolute best of the year (like Top 5, Top 3), and stuff that stands tall above the rest of releases in its genre. I'm a big fan of Guts and think that it's teen pop/rock done righT, but also that a score in the lower 80s would be more accurate. Though reviews and scores in the music world have been so inflated as of late I don't hold the score against it or anything. 

• Like 1

90/100 means near perfect masterpiece, not okayish record. 70-73 in a normal world would be totally acceptable.

• Like 3

Some may insist poptimism was a mistake but I'd rather have my fave have an inflated MC score than have critics be openly misogynistic towards popular female artists + biased towards certain types of music/artists but that's just me!

OT: Maybe a little lower, but it's better than the 86 SOUR got for whatever reason

Imo it's like a higher 70s or lower 80s. The album sounds fun since it's still very new but I feel like it will get tiring soon as most loud album does for me. 

5 hours ago, Jjang said:

68 in a normal world

This. There's a little too much talk-singing on this album for me. It's like her and her producer think anything with "rock" influence needs to have talked out verses. It's annoying because many of the choruses on the album are good, but the verses just suck.

4 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

This site lives, breathes and fights for Pop Music and then… drag when critics are on board. 

Not all pop music is the same...

I mean fans gag over the critical acclaim their own faves receive from these same publications and that's never an issue. :michael:

Can't have your cake and eat it too, so yes it's deserved.

• Like 1

its a great album and i enjoy it a lot.

But 90s is too much, 84-87ish is more fitting.

5 hours ago, chiliam said:

its a great album and i enjoy it a lot.

But 90s is too much, 84-87ish is more fitting.

I agree. 80-84ish for me. Solid album though :clap3:

On 9/18/2023 at 11:14 PM, Space Cowboy said:

This would hace gotten a 76 a decade ago.

the girlies are in their male musicians era

and we like that

21 hours ago, Billionaire said:

Some may insist poptimism was a mistake but I'd rather have my fave have an inflated MC score than have critics be openly misogynistic towards popular female artists + biased towards certain types of music/artists but that's just me!

But 100% this, I'd rather live in a world where guts gets 91 than go back to tfm having 78 and that being like super high

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.