Katy Perry sells her music catalog for $225M

Feanor

3 minutes ago, Aurora said:

On one hand, get money queen... on the other hand, it's clear she really doesn't care about her music career in that way or she'd never sell. I couldn't imagine it. It'd be like selling my child. But to each their own.

I'm not sure why people have this take? Her music isn't going anywhere. It just means she's not concerned about the long term financial aspect of royalties. 

Some people may be a bit more precious about the way their work is used but plenty of people including producers/DJs etc see their work as free to the world once they put it out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anti-Hero

• gettsleazy

• Witnessed ET

• Tistotal

21 minutes ago, chiliam said:

i mean she has hits, she has classics, but still 225m is insane for her catalouge

so Katy`s 1st five album almost valued the same as Taylor 1st six albums ( it was 300m but it`s for the whole Big Machine label which i think Taylor`s part is around 250m)

You are comparing things that have nothing to do with each other, maybe you should read the article because she is not even selling the same things 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, chiliam said:

i mean she has hits, she has classics, but still 225m is insane for her catalouge

so Katy`s 1st five album almost valued the same as Taylor 1st six albums ( it was 300m but it`s for the whole Big Machine label which i think Taylor`s part is around 250m)

Comparing Apples to Oranges. 

Funding and investing for Daisy Perry's future music debut early on. Smart! :clap3:

This is huge for just the publishing rights 

$45M an album doesnt sound too bad. She can use this money to invest and have even bigger returns as she's still only 38 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, hétérosexuelle said:

I recommend customers to await the discounts!

img_75821qe89.jpeg

them adding not one but two stickers of the title like that’s gonna change anything :redface:

58 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

What are you talking about :rip: She's got more classics from anyone else this gen besides Rihanna, the licensing opportunities are endless

OT: She sold the rights to an album she released 3 years ago :toofunny2: she really doesn't care about music anymore does she

The licensing opportunity is what she just sold away, sis. :coffee2:

She literally sold away every control she has over her music and her legacy omg. :rip:

Edited by Rep2000

D*ddy said all these people are selling because it's the right time since people are willing to buy them... that likely won't last forever so TBH anyone selling now is smart, getting in while it's hot.

• Like 2

Girl, the amount of money, see when you have a catalog full of classics

Edited by Tistotal
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

D*ddy said all these people are selling because it's the right time since people are willing to buy them... that likely won't last forever so TBH anyone selling now is smart, getting in while it's hot.

The bubble is definitely going to explode, some investments are choices…funds are expecting a huge increasement in streaming which doesn’t necessary mean certain catalogues exploding 

29 minutes ago, Thickorita said:

Witness really did a number on her, it's obvious that once the success weaned her drive for being a pop star did as well. Smile was so writing camp'd and had her most minimal involvement in a project yet. It's a shame, because even though she misses quite a lot, she has a certain quirkiness that is unique to her music that makes her super endearing.

The sad thing is I loved Witness but to be fair to Katy, she would've ended up in this spot either way -- there's 1000 articles about why pop music and pop girls aren't really selling these days and why the public has lost interest. Everyone has different theories as to why but I think this would've happened with or without Witness tbh

It’s so hard for me to digest that some artists are fighting tooth and nail to own their work while some just sell it away like this? Shows who is the true artist and who is manufactured 

• Like 9
  • Thumbs Down 5

It doesn't make sense for an artist that's past their peak to not sell their music catalogue. All Katy loses is the right to choose where her music gets licensed but she'll easily make more from this deal than she would ever make from her catalogue in the next 50+ years. Especially considering her music is not exactly gaining popularity with time like say Lana

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Rv1709 said:

It’s so hard for me to digest that some artists are fighting tooth and nail to own their work while some just sell it away like this? Shows who is the true artist and who is manufactured 

Oh lol, isn’t the real artist changing the cover of her rereleases just to sell more units, it’s obviously not only an art thing :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 10
  • Thumbs Down 10

I know its huge money but I dont get why she would give away her entire career. She already made a bank in recent years with idol + her business endeavors, plus its her intelectual propriety and she would continue to profit from recurrents for years to come. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Assassin said:

So she still has rights to Katy Hudson and The Matrix. :clap3:

highly doubt she has stakes in The Matrix album lmao

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.