Are gay male fanbases misogynistic?

shyboi

Are gay male fanbases misogynistic?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are gay male fanbases misogynistic?

• Yes.
    • No.

taylor-taylor-swift-eras-tour.gif

I was having this heated-up conversation with a friend and we got into quite a debate

The way we dissect every aspect of the female artists we stan, their personal life, their looks, their career choices, everything.

Is it problematic?

And then when talking about the pop girls that are not our favs things get even worse. Shady, snarky, mean-spirited comments and remarks.

Are gay male fanbases rooted in misogynistic behaviors?  Let's have a respectful, in-depth discussion about this topic.

20jsudh2onika-BRITNEYSIS76-WGS91505.gif

Edited by shyboi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• kataraqueen

• dumbsparce

• DamianSolo

Top Posters In This Topic

yes and i’m ready for that conversation 

• Like 2

Sometimes, but straight men are more misogynistic for ignoring female artists so much. 

• Like 2

as soon as it becomes about their body, looks, etc. and not the art especially

but even when it's about the art, there can be misogyny in the devaluation of women's art in comparison to men's art or in thinking that the art should be made for the [gay] male gaze and not as women's expression

in general gay men are usually pretty misogynistic, even if they don't see it, just like non-gay men

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Any male who is a fan of someone (in music, sports, politics, etc.) will display misogynistic behavior. Some are chill, others are blatant. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Sometimes, but straight men are more misogynistic for ignoring female artists so much. 

true dat

"but y'all ain't ready for that conversation."

everyone has known this for years, are you new

3 minutes ago, bjorn said:

The common thread here is: MEN

Straight or gay, MEN are the problem

but talking about fanbases 

we literally talk about women most of the time here 

100%

3 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Yes. But gays online are misanthropes in general bc we tear apart an ugly man every chance we get. And I use "we" lightly ofc.

the fact that we are trying to deviate this conversation from misogyny to misanthropy is very telling 

For the way women are ultimately still celebrated, I think that's too harsh of a word. Besides, the same happens in sports with a lot of the male football and basketball players—by other men. This fandom behavior is not isolated to gay men or female artists.

Now, of course, that's not to say that misogyny can't be a driving force behind an individual's actions or beliefs when discussing female artists—but I don't think it's universal to be able to make such a statement.

2 minutes ago, shyboi said:

the fact that we are trying to deviate this conversation from misogyny to misanthropy is very telling 

Not trying to deviate anything. I'm just saying that most gays online hate on everyone bc they're miserable and have nothing better to do than to unleash their wrath on people who couldn't care less about them

10 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Yes. But gays online are misanthropes in general bc we tear apart an ugly man every chance we get. And I use "we" lightly ofc.

Yes but in those moments the gays are very self-aware. When talking about these female artists, some gay men will go on tangents like they're their actual sisters. No sir, you're a MAN, who doesn't know what it's like to bleed monthly, fluctuate through water weight sporadically or be continuously sexualized for simply existing. I know I've done this and I'll always try to recognize and correct myself. Don't dismiss the topic by generalizing it, don't do this "ALL LIVES MATTER" bs pls

Edited by kataraqueen

I think there's two possible ways of enacting misogyny here.

1. Within a "stan war" or even in casual discussion of popstars, feeling the right to "bring down" a woman in ways that align with misogyny: undervaluing her career, giving credit to a man for her success, objectifying her/ridiculing her body, expecting certain behaviour, etc. etc. etc.
  2. The issue that comes with stanning so hard you forget popstars are not our dolls simply there for our enjoyment, or to be used in the game of "my fave is better than your fave". The "sport" of stanning makes it so we talk about them as if they are a concept, not an actual person with feelings, goals, insecurities, etc.

One is clearly worse than the other, but both have misogynistic implications.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DamianSolo said:

For the way women are ultimately still celebrated, I think that's too harsh of a word. Besides, the same happens in sports with a lot of the male football and basketball players—by other men. This fandom behavior is not isolated to gay men or female artists.

Now, of course, that's not to say that misogyny can't be a driving force behind an individual's actions or beliefs when discussing female artists—but I don't think it's universal to be able to make such a statement.

You don't think it's misogynistic how Ariana's fanbase will praise her to high heavens for looking young and sexy but as she grows old her mock her for getting the procedures to remain that way? Be real babe

4 minutes ago, swissman said:

I think there's two possible ways of enacting misogyny here.

1. Within a "stan war" or even in casual discussion of popstars, feeling the right to "bring down" a woman in ways that align with misogyny: undervaluing her career, giving credit to a man for her success, objectifying her/ridiculing her body, expecting certain behaviour, etc. etc. etc.
  2. The issue that comes with stanning so hard you forget popstars are not our dolls simply there for our enjoyment, or to be used in the game of "my fave is better than your fave". The "sport" of stanning makes it so we talk about them as if they are a concept, not an actual person with feelings, goals, insecurities, etc.

One is clearly worse than the other, but both have misogynistic implications.

I think the second makes sense (in the context of their art). I know what you mean but purely based on what you wrote, there actually isn't anything wrong with that (on a misogynistic level)

Comparing facial features, weird comments regarding their weight, comparing body types etc which is all extremely common is of course misogynistic and I know you meant sh.t like that

Edited by kataraqueen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.