Why pop music is dying

Blue Jeans

17 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

People were 100% shitting on Madonna and Britney when they came out. Especially older generations found that they were lowering the bar for music. This is very profound if you just look at common criticisms at the beginning of their careers and their musical peaks. 

considering I'm 33 and was around when Britney debuted you can't tell me different. I was actually around and followed the whole 90's pop crave. Considering we just came out of the vocalist era, the issues they had with Britney was that she couldn't sing well and she was pushing sex. I.e. Rolling Stone cover. as soon as BOMT came out they named her the Princess of Pop. as part of the older generation, they did not feel like Britney was lowering pop standards, they definitely felt as though she was following in Madonna's footsteps. Considering Britney looked up to Janet Jackson at the beginnig of her career, she was seen as a dancer more than a vocalist, once again we are coming out of the vocal divas era's of the 90's. please stop being a history revisionist just to prove your point.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• KatyPrismSpirit

• mons†er

• Just a Gay on ATRL

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I rarely see discussed is that fewer artists are building brands for themselves, or at least it's becoming harder to establish them. You can drop your music on streaming, promote it on all the playlists and call it a day but that's not going to get people invested in you personally beyond the music. Some might say that social media and getting a closer look into artists' lives does this but the reality is that you don't see most of this unless you actively seek it out.

Traditionally, this has been done through things such as performances, interviews, music videos, advertising in physical media etc to showcase an artist's personality, but thanks to the internet most of this has become obsolete or most times the way you're gonna come across it is if you seek it out.

The VMAs that just took place are a great example of this. I watched performances of artists I don't care about and I got to see more into who they are as artists

Thanks to the internet, most of these things are now harder to achieve or are outright obsolete. So labels need to adapt with the times and come up with new ideas to market their artists and build their brands beyond playlisting.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mons†er said:

considering I'm 33 and was around when Britney debuted you can't tell me different. I was actually around and followed the whole 90's pop crave. Considering we just came out of the vocalist era, the issues they had with Britney was that she couldn't sing well and she was pushing sex. I.e. Rolling Stone cover. as soon as BOMT came out they named her the Princess of Pop. as part of the older generation, they did not feel like Britney was lowering pop standards, they definitely felt as though she was following in Madonna's footsteps. Considering Britney looked up to Janet Jackson at the beginnig of her career, she was seen as a dancer more than a vocalist, once again we are coming out of the vocal divas era's of the 90's. please stop being a history revisionist just to prove your point.

i mean i wasnt around personally so i cant speak from my personal experience, but there was definitely talk that the talent level was lowered, hence to why older people did not resonate with britney as an artist

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

i mean i wasnt around personally so i cant speak from my personal experience, but there was definitely talk that the talent level was lowered, hence to why older people did not resonate with britney as an artist

lol they didn't resonate with Britney because she was under 21 and was very much pushing sex. generation x definitely didn't think she was a vocalists but they saw her as a dancer. once again, they would judge her vocals because that generation grew up with vocal divas. in my household we only played Whitney, Mariah, Toni, Celine, Anita, Sara Vaughn among others. Britney brought a resurgence to pop music and even when she did that, artists from the 80's were still able to release their music and be in the same room and category as newer pop artists. the issue with Britney when she came out wasn't the fact that she wasn't a great singer, it was the fact that she was pushing sex at such a young age and they believed that image was taking away from  the music.

1 hour ago, Love Again said:

I’m kind of disappointed that people keep shoving these things away under the guise of ‘yall are just getting old and cant keep up with modern pop culture’

While this absolutely can be true, I would like to say that pop music and pop culture is art and art can always be criticized at any moment in time. I don’t think that the state of pop music today is in good shape. Monoculture dying out is fun for people who are into very niche genres, but for people like me and many others on ATRL who are into big, escapist, loud pop eras, it’s not necessarily something to celebrate.

It is not a good thing imo that we have so many quick, fad TikTok hits now. It’s not a good thing that the charts are so incredibly stagnant and people are consuming artists their old catalogues en masse. New artists aren’t as grand and exciting as they used to be. Relatability is not always a good thing. The art form that is pop music that most of the gay community and most of ATRL loves is reliant on grand, larger than life pop stars and that side is dying out.

Please stop responding with ‘but this and this artist’ ‘good music is everywhere’ I’m not talking about cult artists like Slayyyter or Charli or Rina etc. They are not part of the grand pop machine, and that’s what we WANNA see.

I don’t know why the singer songwriter stans of ATRL get so high and mighty when we wanna see an artist of the caliber of Gaga, Britney or Madonna smash again. That’s the pop most of this website loves.

Yeah anyone who says the getting old comment I just keep scrolling because there’s a real conversation to be had about pop culture and pop music in 2023. Also ATRL is out of touch because it’s mainly gays who follow pop stars closely but anyone who has been on TikTok since 2019 me saw early on Gen Z is way into hip hop than pop which also plays a factor… although that maybe changing because rap is in a weird place rn.

• Like 1

People nowadays like pop music because of the trend most likely contributed by Tik Tok, they are not genuinely attaching to the music/artist. Once the trend is over so do the artist too. Unlike Taylor who has developed strong fanbase she keeps selling despite the music itself is not trendy, the bonding is super strong and the music serves sentimental value.

5 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

Yeah anyone who says the getting old comment I just keep scrolling because there’s a real conversation to be had about pop culture and pop music in 2023. Also ATRL is out of touch because it’s mainly gays who follow pop stars closely but anyone who has been on TikTok since 2019 me saw early on Gen Z is way into hip hop than pop which also plays a factor… although that maybe changing because rap is in a weird place rn.

Gen Z is starting to latch on to folk and country now more than anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatito said:

liddos want her fave to keep her 2009 sound while doing taylor numbers but that’s just a pipe dream 

i’m sorry but that YOUR kind of pop music died but it was just a fad and nobody else misses it

this is what you have to settle for

STOP speaking on Gaga when  have every other artist in your signature except the one everyone knows you stan:bibliahh: You're right, edm died in 2014 and liddos are stuck in 2009. BUT unfortunately for you gaga ingored them and survived as she has TALENT to do other genres.  Poor dat!

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952igtu91d5pj7ksc4zd76

2 hours ago, Saintlor said:

Britney Spears

time for ATRL to move on with the times. Its only taylor putting out the same crap everytime and selling :alexz3:

Edited by Mr. Stratus
  • Haha 1

I just feel like most of the new younger, fresh pop artists are aware of the abuse that the artists we all loved before them went through to get to the point that they're at. Nowadays new pop artists aren't gonna be forced to record songs or promote things in strange places for the sake of radio placement because you really don't need radio success to get streaming success nowadays. Because of this, the approach to pop "stardom" is more organic and direct-to-consumer and thus, allows for many more niche pop musicians to be successful in their own lanes but not necessarily household names. The question is, is that really a bad thing? Or have we all collectively just moved on from wanting pop stars to be spectacles who get abused by the media and have teams backing them that don't really believe in them and sabotage them?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jaded. said:

Gen Z is starting to latch on to folk and country now more than anything.

true!! Look at Morgan. I think they’re aging out of rap tbh although Travis Scott and Drake and some others still have pretty huge Gen Z fan bases but I still don’t really see them interested in the modern pop star. But maybe that’ll

change

idk, as someone who's Gen Z it still feels like there's huge A-list popstars, maybe just not in the old school way that people expect. like sure no one's really going on talk shows or performing at award shows anymore, but its because you don't have to. half of ATRL didn't know who SZA was before SOS yet she sold out her huge tour with the snap of a finger. i think a lot of people here expect the Gaga/ Britney style pop phenom but no one really cares about that sort of thing anymore. doesn't mean there aren't superstars, it just means superstardom has a different look now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gatito said:

liddos want her fave to keep her 2009 sound while doing taylor numbers but that’s just a pipe dream 

i’m sorry but that YOUR kind of pop music died but it was just a fad and nobody else misses it

this is what you have to settle for

You stan Britney Spears.
You want it to be Y2K so bad when she was a TRL/VMAs act (teeny bopper'd and not allowed at more important places like the Grammys)

The only upside of the drought of compelling new artists is the revival of older classic songs going viral. 

Because of an over-saturated market, music being largely accessible and thus losing its value from a consumption standpoint and new artists just not living up to the artists of yesteryear.  It's a combination of factors.

because pop music isn't really pop music ... then when good pop songs do come out ... they don't get much notice

it's why I don't follow mainstream crap ... I find pop music on my own :gaycat4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.