When did you realize the world is bleak?

BrentB

What key moments in your life made you realize there was NO going back to blissful innocence?

I'll say that the first time I probably really hit me was 9/11. Then I'd say when I started middle school & was not feeling the same way other people felt

Oh yeah, and Sandy Hook shooting in 2012 pretty much shattered the illusion of "protecting the children" for me. 

Another recent instance is when I realized how much of a SHAM racial minority "solidarity" is in general. It was never there (for certain groups at least). Now I cope with the microaggresions & cutting death stares daily..

Also Astroworld still sits with me to this day. Really did a number on me how NOBODY cared & now he's still sitting pretty in the Billboard 200 top 3 :rip:

Edited by BrentB

2 minutes ago, BrentB said:

Also Astroworld still sits with me to this day. Really did a number on me how NOBODY cared & now he's still sitting pretty in the Billboard 200 top 3 :rip:

This one was something for me too. I go to a lot of concerts, I never got into Travis but it's the kind of event I go to often, to see that happen really broke my heart.

Also a lot of the videos shared from that tragedy will never leave my mind.

I know he didn't directly kill anyone, but he was so negligent and it makes me so angry. How did everyone just move on?

RIP to the victims of astroworld

• Thanks 1

When I realised good, kind people can have terrible lives and evil, horrible people can have a completely luxurious and wealthy life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I found out how Palestinians are being treated

• Like 1

Brexit honestly. I was one year into being an adult and it hit me like a rock :gaycat6:

I think before that I'd always had an "everything will work itself out in the end" attitude. But that showed me that everyone is capable of working against their own interests.

I think the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica scandal was another actually. Made me realise just how powerful these big companies are over us and how susceptible we are to suggestion.

Edited by glitch

From childhood. In my country we have communist and far right guerillas and they used to bomb towns-people and kidnap and plant landmines.  Straight evilness.
Traveling was a no. Things got better in the 2000s but we elected a president with the same view as the criminals from the past and now violence is rising horribly. 

Then as i grew up i realized how ****** up was the whole world too. Almost all the political factions. Even the countries i loved so much. 

how.......i wonder that everyday.....Why
Sometimes the nicer-kinder people have it so harder. 
Why creator of this universe? reality? Why things are so so hard? Why some people go through that?

Why this world can be so beautiful yet so so dark. Whats the contruct of this reality?:gaycat4:

It was definitely 9/11 for me. Not even the attack itself, ironically, but the celebrations that were happening in other countries regarding it. That's when it truly hit me.

Can someone bring some sage for this thread?

When W. was re-elected on an anti-gay platform.

A lot of the political decisions of the last decade spring to mind.

• Being teased for people thinking I was gay in middle and high school and seeing how many people were complicit with it and how much American society at large supported homophobia. It made me not come out as gay until I was 20.
  • Trump becoming President and his ensuing presidency was when I knew it was the beginning of the end for America.
  • All of the mass shootings & knowing nothing will ever be done about it because our country is so divided.
  • Climate change and the human population's active determination to look away until it's too late.
  • Corporations run the world and the government, not the people.

My family was deeply ****** up, so pretty much since birth 

new-york-sitting.gif

While the world is nowhere near perfect and there's a lot of tragedy and suffering, as cliche as it sounds, it's important to keep your head held high. 

I'd say two events got me to remove my rose-colored glasses. One was being verbally abused and harassed at work... as a teacher... by my employers. I would've filed a lawsuit, except for the fact if I lost (and non-tenured, non-admin teachers have basically no power) my teaching license, there goes my work. That was a horrible year. 

Also, the last guy I dated before my boyfriend... Jesus Christ was that bad. When I had a bad day at work I wanted to vent about, he told me to "f-ing" get over it, and this was a man who attempted yet didn't succeed. 

From these experiences, I've learned to be careful who I let into my life and to not trust so openly. However, it is important (and this is still important to me) to not lose your vulnerability. The right people will stay. The right people will come to you. And if you work hard and act smart, opportunities you don't even know existed can and probably will open up for you. Try to be kinder to the people at your workplace, friends, family, or even strangers! Do this for about a week, and you will start to feel better about yourself. When you're self-absorbed and too isolated, life starts to get depressing. We were wired for connection and social interaction-- I truly believe that's why people went crazy during lockdown/quarantine. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.