Do read receipts on iPhone provide any actual benefits?

Just a Gay on ATRL

I hate being able to see when someone read a message but didn't bother responding... like what is the point of needing to tell the sender that information? :deadbanana2:Is it one of the worst iPhone features to date?  It just makes me anxious lol.

Yeah I know what you mean

I feel like everyone is on their phones 24/7 so if they don't reply to me in a decent time then they don't care about me

• Thanks 1

I have mine on because it forces me to be mindful of when I look at a message and respond.

I now only look at a text if I have the time to respond in the moment. And my friends, family, etc. know that if I haven’t looked at a text yet it’s because I’m busy. 

Yes and it irritates me when someone doesn’t use it

Like another user mentioned most people are on their phone 24/7/frequently (even the ones who deny it lol) so it’s just affirmation that you saw a message

If I’m left on delivered for a decent period of time I know you already saw it but not having the confirmation bothers me 

1 minute ago, KKW said:

Yes and it irritates me when someone doesn’t use it

Like another user mentioned most people are on their phone 24/7/frequently (even the ones who deny it lol) so it’s just affirmation that you saw a message

If I’m left on delivered for a decent period of time I know you already saw it but not having the confirmation bothers me 

The worst are people who say they haven't been on their phone for days so they never saw your text. There's no way I'm believing that :deadbanana2:

Edited by Saintlor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

The worst are people who say they haven't been on their phone for days so they never saw your text. There's no way I'm believing that :deadbanana2:

LMFAO I literally had an experience with someone from my past exactly like this.

They used to always tell me “you know I’m barely on my phone” yet every time I was around them they were… on their phone pretttttttyyy frequently for someone who is “barely on it”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KKW said:

LMFAO I literally had an experience with someone from my past exactly like this.

They used to always tell me “you know I’m barely on my phone” yet every time I was around them they were… on their phone pretttttttyyy frequently for someone who is “barely on it”

Right! I've had siblings not reply to me for days and say they're not on their phones and I get depressed and need some time off my phone

Like we're even a pair of ATRLers replying to each other's posts within minutes, yet family expect me to believe they're not capable of replying :dies:

• Haha 2

I like knowing they, at least, read the message—if it's something that didn't really require a reply in the moment. In a manner of speaking, I find it reassuring. I also like knowing when someone is being a butt and not responding when I know they're free and on their phone. My toxic trait is my pettiness, so I can play that game too whenever you do decide you want to message me back days later. :coffee2:

I don’t have mine on for this very reason. I do like the feature where you can “like” a message; my friends and I use that on a message that doesn’t necessarily need to be responded to but you can acknowledge you saw it. Feels a lot better than being left on read tbh. 

Edited by Aston Martin
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

I have all my text conversations on mute. :shutup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

Yeah I know what you mean

I feel like everyone is on their phones 24/7 so if they don't reply to me in a decent time then they don't care about me

MTE. Some people def check their phone less than others, but I refuse to believe most people with a smartphone don’t check at least 2-3 times a day, lol. I usually think if they take over 24 hours to reply to me I’m very much not a priority in their life.

59 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Yeah when people say that I usually think they’re lying honestly.  Or they text way too many people. 

34 minutes ago, DamianSolo said:

I like knowing they, at least, read the message—if it's something that didn't really require a reply in the moment. In a manner of speaking, I find it reassuring. I also like knowing when someone is being a butt and not responding when I know they're free and on their phone. My toxic trait is my pettiness, so I can play that game too whenever you do decide you want to message me back days later. :coffee2:

If I notice someone is not responding much or taking forever between replies, I will usually slowly put forth less effort in the future. Until the convo eventually dies out, if that is what it takes. I’m done wasting time for people who don’t put forth time to talk to me back. Lol.

8 minutes ago, Attitude said:

I have all my text conversations on mute. :shutup:

I get this - probably really relaxing. Texts are very distracting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded. said:

If I notice someone is not responding much or taking forever between replies, I will usually slowly put forth less effort in the future. Until the convo eventually dies out, if that is what it takes. I’m done wasting time for people who don’t put forth time to talk to me back. Lol.

And I don't blame you at all. I'm done with chasing after people, especially those who are wishy-washy like that—who only want to talk when they feel like it, after days have gone by. Nah, keep that same energy when you didn't want to talk. :sadviolin:

I find it so strange now when someone has it on. Like isn't normal to all read a message and not want to respond straight away, or not have the time. How can you be comfortable with people always knowing when you've read their message idgi

• Like 1

i leave mine off bc people don’t need to know when i read something and just because i have my phone doesn’t mean i’m going to immediately respond

• Like 3

i turn my **** right tf off. mind your business x

some people in this thread need to realize that ppl don't HAVE to reply to them even if they're on their phone. the sooner you accept this and the fact that people don't revolve around you, the faster you'll find happiness x

• Thanks 2

I leave mine on. If you see that I read it and didn't respond feel free to call me out on it, I must have gotten sidetracked with something else. I hate when I have read receipts on and people don't take advantage of that. I've been on the other end worried that the person isn't picking up or answering because they're hurt or something happened. Worst feeling ever.

Edited by Frappucino

That feature is entirely pointless. You can still see or read part of, most of or even all of the message at the top of the screen or in the app without clicking on the chat.

I've had it turned off for years because drama over unopened messages is so... 2015? :doc:

• Like 3

I keep mine on because if it's not on then I will open messages and not reply. This forces me to reply to people 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.