55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• Hilary Duff (Album)
    • GUTS

16 minutes ago, The Man Who said:

Critics on So Yesterday:

Metamorphosis: 

Hilary Duff:

Avril was the blueprint. There’s only 3 years age difference between Avril and Hilary. Pop/Rock became huge again in the mainstream because of Let Go. It’s not even really a matter of opinion at this point. Nobody is citing Hilary Duff as the reason it became so big in the early 2000’s :rip:

Sis unh uh, citing a 50 year old critic is not a source of proving your point. :rip: zontdodat.

Avril def has her influence, but she was for the older girlies and they latched in differently. She is considered among the anti-Britney wave, and of that generation with Vanessa, Michelle, Pink, etc.

Critics were simply comparing Hilary because she was a 14 year old new comer...One that ushered in a new generation of pop/rock acts yearly and a new business model for Disney and Nickelodeon that they implement to this day.

They even said Hilary was the younger generations Britney. There just was no influx of young pop/rock stars right after Avril, everyone wanted to be Britney. Avril was an anomaly in that group.

Edited by Afterglow

Also to add to this, I don’t doubt for a second that Hilary inspired / influenced people like Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez, but that’s to be expected considering she showed them you could be a Disney actor and artist which is what they both went on to do, but to say she was the reason pop/rock became so mainstream just doesn’t feel right considering she was quite clearly doing what Avril Lavigne had done before her. 

When you drop a rock in water it causes a ripple, I’d say that Avril Lavigne was the rock and people like Hilary were the ripple as she may have influenced other artists like Miley and Selena, but I don’t think that would have been possible without Avril as I honestly believe albums like Metamorphosis and Hilary Duff wouldn’t exist if Let Go wasn’t as big as it was. 

I don’t think you can say that Hilary Duff (album) was like nothing else before it and how it was angsty when Let Go and Under My Skin were full of teen angst, especially Under My Skin that was released when Avril was 19. There was nothing original and/or unique about the music Hilary made and continues to make. 

Edited by The Man Who
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Afterglow said:

Sis unh uh, citing a 50 year old critic is not a source of proving your point. :rip: zontdodat.

Avril def has her influence, but she was for the older girlies and they latched in differently. She is considered among the anti-Britney wave, and of that generation with Vanessa, Michelle, Pink, etc.

Critics were simply comparing Hilary because she was a 14 year old new comer...One that ushered in a new generation of pop/rock acts yearly and a new business model for Disney and Nickelodeon that they implement to this day.

They even said Hilary was the younger generations Britney. There just was no influx of young pop/rock stars right after Avril, everyone wanted to be Britney. Avril was an anomaly in that group.

Avril Lavigne was 17 when Let Go was released and 19 when Under My Skin was released, so to say she was making music for ‘older girlies’ when she was a teenager, seems a bit weird. Did her music appeal to adults? Definitely! And you’d find a lot of guys / older people at her concerts as she had a broad appeal, but she was still a teenager so I don’t know why you’re talking about her like she was a 40 year old woman when she debuted lol.

My main point was that Hilary’s self-titled album wasn’t unique like you claimed. You said it was like nothing that came before it, but how is it not similar to albums like Let Go, Under My Skin and Autobiography? Although I enjoyed it, at its core it was a pretty paint by numbers pop/rock album. It didn’t do anything new. 

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this subject. 

The Getaway alone>>>> 

But Fly & Someone’s watching over me are the only real standouts. That album was pretty mid overall and one of the rare times the singles were better then the album

1 hour ago, Scars said:

I get that these are two sophomore albums and all, but isnt Olivia already in her 20s? it's a bit funny to me that people keep comparing her music to the work the other girls did at the ages of 15 and 16.

When Hilary was at Olivia's age, she gave us Dignity.

This is a great point! Olivia’s whole teen image as a 20 year old is so lame and unlikeable. 

OT: Fly >>>> the other one’s discography 

Gonna go with Hilary’s self-titled. I used to think it was awful and unlistenable for years until one day it randomly clicked and it’s been a pop rock masterpiece ever since. It’s in my top 5 most played albums of 2023 :rip: 

Edited by Aaron

2 hours ago, Afterglow said:

Disagree. Hilary defined this sound for younger millennials. After this, Disney was pumping out pop/rock girls. Every label was. Even the unsuccessful girls wanted a Hilary Duff, and to a similar extent a Metamorphosis

Im a Hilary fan but she by no means defined pop rock music in the early 2000s, let alone pop rock music that came by later Disney artists lmao (other artists who actually listened to / were fans of real rock music and metal artists, and wrote the majority of their albums especially). Rock music was huge back in the 2000s, emo days, Myspace era.... Hilary Duff the self titled album was a product of its time, not a trailblazer necessarily, and it didn't have to be. Metamorphosis was what defined Hilary's success in music.  self titled was not even nearly as successful as Most Wanted in terms of singles. A lot of the songs were from the Raise Your Voice movie, and while it is one of my favorite albums ever made, it is not nearly Hilary Duff's most popular work.

GUTS is the more creative personal album, Hilary Duff is the more listenable album overall and probably the one with more longevity.

Edited by Freakshowvato

56 minutes ago, Freakshowvato said:

Im a Hilary fan but she by no means defined pop rock music in the early 2000s, let alone pop rock music that came by later Disney artists lmao (other artists who actually listened to / were fans of real rock music and metal artists, and wrote the majority of their albums especially). Rock music was huge back in the 2000s, emo days, Myspace era.... Hilary Duff the self titled album was a product of its time, not a trailblazer necessarily, and it didn't have to be. Metamorphosis was what defined Hilary's success in music.  self titled was not even nearly as successful as Most Wanted in terms of singles. A lot of the songs were from the Raise Your Voice movie, and while it is one of my favorite albums ever made, it is not nearly Hilary Duff's most popular work.

GUTS is the more creative personal album, Hilary Duff is the more listenable album overall and probably the one with more longevity.

Nope. The album and its predecessor created a formula that hadn't really been seen since Britney. We'd have no Demi, Selena, Miley,the list goes on were it not for Ms. Duff. 

Labels other than HR were having literal auditions to get their own Hilary Duff. 

Edited by Afterglow

Hilary Duff was my album during my teen days… so it.

Hilary Duff by far.  That's one of my all time favourite albums

I still haven't listen guts but I know darn sure it won't be better then HD most albums ain't.

I should go listen to guts but BB/AN3EL is still on loop

I love both but Hilegendary Duff >

14 hours ago, naval23 said:

GUTS doesn't have anything that goes as hard as "The Getaway" so Hilary 

she’s kinda missing a ballad on this caliber :jonny4:

Fly, The Getaway and Someone's Watching Over Me alone >>> :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.