Will songs become 1minute or less?

Tropez

Most songs are now trending towards around 2:30 minutes. Do you see it happening that it will creep down to 1 minute or less in the near future? 

People’s attention spans are decreasing, and music is now made to go viral. I’m guessing they’ll start removing the second verse. 

I think the shorter music trend is already starting to have it’s decline a bit. GUTS, SOS and Midnights all had succesful songs over 3 minutes. 

No, once it gets old people will return to making longer songs. There were plenty of short songs in the past

Remember when people were making songs with hashtag in the title, I predict the next big thing after the lowercase fad will be emoji song titles :thing:

This song was a smash hit this year and it's super long so I don't think so.

People are willing to listen to longer songs if they are good - see Lana's streaming numbers or ATW10 minute version going #1

short songs have existed since forever. in the 60s most hits were around 2:30 as well.  as long as the song is good who cares how long it is?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

short songs have existed since forever. in the 60s most hits were around 2:30 as well.  as long as the song is good who cares how long it is?

What's good about a 2-minute demo that goes nowhere tho? Key changes, bridges, pre-choruses and outros don't just exist to bump up a track's length; they can actually make a song better.

Just now, Virgos Groove said:

What's good about a 2-minute demo that goes nowhere tho? Key changes, bridges, pre-choruses and outros don't just exist to bump up a track's length; they can actually make a song better.

It depends. To me there’s really no rules to song construction or writing. If a song is good, it’s just good. There are classic songs that are 2:28 but there are also classic songs that are 9:00 minutes. It depends on what works for that specific recording

8 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

It depends. To me there’s really no rules to song construction or writing. If a song is good, it’s just good. There are classic songs that are 2:28 but there are also classic songs that are 9:00 minutes. It depends on what works for that specific recording

I disagree. A lot of today's music sounds really incomplete to me.

4 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

I disagree. A lot of today's music sounds really incomplete to me.

not every song needs a common arrangement where its verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus

sometimes a song can just be a intro-verse-chorus-verse-outro and that works out fine as well, as long as the song is good

• Like 1

No, Renaissance only has one song under 3 minutes :bird:and it’s a future gay/straight?classique! 

• Like 1

People also forget that action/reaction is a big thing in popular music. People will get tired of the shorter songs thread and will respond accordingly, which is why real songwriters like SZA, Taylor and Olivia are so popular right now

I hope not.. Like all my favourite songs this year are like 2 minutes long  As I should, 2 die 4 ... even Treason is too short..  :weeps:

The way it's already happening... Spotify radio made me discover this artist whose entire discography is 1 minute long songs. And they have decent amounts of streams/monthly listeners. It kinda slaps, I was shocked :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.