Sarah Michelle Gellar: What Went Wrong?

GraceRandolph

In the late 90s and early 00s everything SMG touched turned to gold and became a generational and decade defining piece of media. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions, Scooby-Doo, and The Grudge. All major hits for Sarah, and are still all relevant and talked about today. But her luck quickly ran out with box office flops, and multiple failed TV shows that all struggled. Ringer, The Crazy Ones, and now seemingly Wolf Pack all failed to register with audiences. Even the Cruel Intentions TV show didn't materialize. What should SMG do to make a proper comeback?

I wouldn't really say anything went "wrong", she had her career peak and then she had her career after her peak. That's pretty normal, and we all know that it's common for women in Hollywood to not be offered the same level of roles as they were once offered as they get older, plus she seemed pretty content for her focus to be on raising her family. I could see a cute Sarahnaissance someday though with a fun role in something like The White Lotus.

• Like 12

Nothing went wrong? She's an extremely talented and beloved actress who achieved enormous success who earned the right to do whatever she wants, regardless of how much or how little money it makes.

We need to stop thinking of people as being "less" just because they don't sustain extreme heights of success forever, likely at the detriment to all other aspects of their life. (see: certain MPGs love lives)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

She took a very long break to raise her kids. I believe her and Freddy taking turns parenting, so they wouldn’t both be working at the same time. Honestly, SMG has made poor career choices. As a Buffy fan, she sucks at the horror genre because she’s recognized as a powerful vampire slayer. I couldn’t take her seriously in any of the horror movies she did. The fact that she got killed off in each one was laughable and ridiculous. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief. She would’ve been better off sticking to action and comedy. Ringer was pretty much also dead on arrival. She chose bad projects.

7 minutes ago, Miichael said:

I wouldn't really say anything went "wrong", she had her career peak and then she had her career after her peak. That's pretty normal, and we all know that it's common for women in Hollywood to not be offered the same level of roles as they were once offered as they get older, plus she seemed pretty content for her focus to be on raising her family. I could see a cute Sarahnaissance someday though with a fun role in something like The White Lotus.

I'm not trying to attack SMG at all. I love her early work, and respect that she decided to focus on parenting rather than acting as much, but even the projects she has tried to make work now that her kids are a bit older have also just not worked out.

39 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

In the late 90s and early 00s everything SMG touched turned to gold and became a generational and decade defining piece of media. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions, Scooby-Doo, and The Grudge. All major hits for Sarah, and are still all relevant and talked about today. But her luck quickly ran out with box office flops, and multiple failed TV shows that all struggled. Ringer, The Crazy Ones, and now seemingly Wolf Pack all failed to register with audiences. Even the Cruel Intentions TV show didn't materialize. What should SMG do to make a proper comeback?

also, I think her fans were mainly the ones who liked The Grudge. I remembered supporting everything she did because I missed Buffy so bad. I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream were solid hits with or without SMG. Her character was easily replaceable. I believe she ended up getting typecasted on top of her choosing bad projects. She’ll always be a legend for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and that’s ok, too!! That’s a big legacy for her. Nobody can ever play Buffy like her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I'm not trying to attack SMG at all. I love her early work, and respect that she decided to focus on parenting rather than acting as much, but even the projects she has tried to make work now that her kids are a bit older have also just not worked out.

Sometimes projects become big hits, sometimes they don't. It doesn't necessarily mean that something's gone "wrong" or that there is some bigger meaning to it. She's had projects that were big commercial successes in her career, and others that weren't, just like most actors. I wasn't saying you were trying to attack her, I was just answering your question honestly.

I honesty think she left Buffy too soon which honesty effected her career. I understand the show was on for 7 seasons but she could have easily done two more seasons to help her transition into an adult actress because ultimately she got teen films at the start of Buffy. 

She also chose extremely bad projects. Scooby Doo? Indie projects films? People just wasn’t taking her seriously as a actress.

The grudge was a massive success. She should have kelpt up with that horror queen hype doing more horror until she got a major role but instead she tried to break away from it too soon with bad projects. 

I’m starting to think she’s not going offered quality projects. She keeps getting CW teen low quality projects.. look at her new show. It’s awful dear God..

4 minutes ago, Power love said:

I honesty think she left Buffy too soon which honesty effected her career. I understand the show was on for 7 seasons but she could have easily done two more seasons to help her transition into an adult actress because ultimately she got teen films at the start of Buffy. 

She also chose extremely bad projects. Scooby Doo? Indie projects films? People just wasn’t taking her seriously as a actress.

The grudge was a massive success. She should have kelpt up with that horror queen hype doing more horror until she got a major role but instead she tried to break away from it too soon with bad projects. 

I’m starting to think she’s not going offered quality projects. She keeps getting CW teen low quality projects.. look at her new show. It’s awful dear God..

Season 7 of Buffy was already pretty bad compared to the earlier seasons. I can't imagine what a ninth season would've been like.

She openly admits her priorities changed and that she took an extended period of time off to parent. Nothing "wrong" with that, and I certainly don't think she's bothered. People have lives beyond career success and I'm sure she's lived very comfortably. 

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Season 7 of Buffy was already pretty bad compared to the earlier seasons. I can't imagine what a ninth season would've been like.

The season was not planned originally to end. The storyline would’ve been completely different. It wasn’t until Sarah decided she had enough & wouldn’t renew her contract the show rush for rewrites to end the series. 

She's been acting since she was a kid so her priorities shifted as she got older. People like Sarah and Hilary Duff are content with what they have as it allows them to work when they want to and focus on family. 

• Like 1

She stopped acting to be a mother. She’s had various roles including some voice acting over the years. Sure, there were a few duds when she moved on from buddy but she also had some good ones as well. 

• Like 1

Nothing. Her priorities just changed. I don't know realistically how big of a movie star outside the horror genre she really could have been anyway. She's been unlucky picking her TV "comebacks", but she seems very content with her life choices. She's been acting since she was a child and is a certified icon and beloved forever, so nothing went wrong. 

• Like 1

She had bad luck and probably not the right team behind her in choosing projects that didn't turn out successful, like it has been pointed out already, it often happens in that field and it's not easy maintain a certain level of success, especially when it comes to tv actors from those years (90s-early 00s), very few managed to be successful transitioning to cinema or getting other tv shows hit roles, I think there's nothing wrong in recognizing that instead of trying to find excuses, her 'Buffy' role will always remains one of the most loved character from a tv show, also she might have a comeback eventually when nobody is expecting it.

Nothing wrong, nobody can't stay young and famous forever... If her time is due, she will eventually moved on and do another things. 

There’s nothing wrong with being one of the most iconic actresses in 90’s pop culture:coffee2:

Buffy alone had more impact than most teen idols that entire decade. She got married to one of the hottest stars, had multiple box office and critical acclaim classics. She doing fine

7 minutes ago, Coldpurry said:

She should make a part in the next Scream 

It would be a huge comeback for her

Her character got killed in Scream 2. Twin?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.