Does the word -homosexual- belong in the bible?

JustLikeHoney

JustLikeHoney

The word “arsenokoitai” shows up in two different verses in the bible, but it was not translated to mean “homosexual” until 1946.

"I wanted to see how other cultures and translations treated the same verses when they were translated during the Reformation 500 years ago. So I started collecting old Bibles in French, German, Irish, Gaelic, Czechoslovakian, Polish… you name it. Now I’ve got most European major languages that I’ve collected over time. Anyway, I had a German friend come back to town and I asked if he could help me with some passages in one of my German Bibles from the 1800s. So we went to Leviticus 18:22 and he’s translating it for me word for word. In the English where it says “Man shall not lie with man, for it is an abomination,” the German version says “Man shall not lie with young boys as he does with a woman, for it is an abomination.” I said, “What?! Are you sure?” He said, “Yes!” Then we went to Leviticus 20:13— same thing, “Young boys.” So we went to 1 Corinthians to see how they translated arsenokoitai (original Greek word)  and instead of homosexuals it said, “Boy molesters will not inherit the kingdom of God.” 

I then grabbed my facsimile copy of Martin Luther’s original German translation from 1534. My friend is reading through it for me and he says, “Ed, this says the same thing!” They use the word knabenschander. Knaben is boy, schander is molester. This word “boy molesters” for the most part carried through the next several centuries of German Bible translations. Knabenschander is also in 1 Timothy 1:10. So the interesting thing is, I asked if they ever changed the word arsenokoitai to homosexual in modern translations. So my friend found it and told me, “The first time homosexual appears in a German translation is 1983.”

It's an interesting article. Read it if you want. Interesting that even though Germans invented the word homosexual, it wasn't changed in their translation of the Bible until Americans paid for it in 1983. And that in all early translations it was that act of pederastry (which means having sex with underage boys) was abhorrent and not act of homosexuality which is not found anywhere in the bible in early translations. And that the Lexicon from 1483 probably used in those early translations describes the word aresenkoitai as the Latin equivalent, paedico and praedico. If you look those up they means pederasty, or boy molester. 

Pederatry was a popular trade in ancient Rome and Greece. Grown men, married men would pay to have sex with young boys. Parents of the young boys would do climb in social stature. So the original bible was probably condemning this and not homosexuality in general. 

https://um-insight.net/perspectives/has-“homosexual”-always-been-in-the-bible/

Edited by JustLikeHoney

No, but Nicki Minaj belongs in the Bible for sure.

nicki-minaj-crown.gif

Edited by blackoutbaby
  • Thumbs Down 1

The only bible I know about:

spacer.png

Even if you were to take out the word “homosexual” from the Bible, it wouldn’t change anything. Same sex relationships and sexual intimacy of any kind outside of a marriage between man and woman is still a sin. Marriage also represents a sacred covenant, a picture of God (the bridegroom) and the Church (the bride). It has a deeper spiritual meaning than just a relationship status. 

Below are verses that explicitly state what marriage is and what is considered a sexual sin.

Spoiler

“But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10‬:‭6‬-‭9‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Spoiler

“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13‬:‭4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Spoiler

“So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1‬:‭24‬-‭27‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Spoiler

“You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything. You say, “Food was made for the stomach, and the stomach for food.” (This is true, though someday God will do away with both of them.) But you can’t say that our bodies were made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies. And God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead. Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.” But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him. Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6‬:‭12‬-‭20‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Spoiler

“And don’t forget Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and serve as a warning of the eternal fire of God’s judgment.”
‭‭Jude‬ ‭1‬:‭7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bible doesn’t even need to exist x

• Like 1

anyone who tries to claim it doesn't mean same sex is delusional. it absolutely means two males.

i just hope one day that all religious texts just miraculously disappear or combust into flames

• Like 1

The word gay is mentioned in song number 2. 3:02

632x632bb.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, blackoutbaby said:

No, but Nicki Minaj belongs in the Bible for sure.

nicki-minaj-crown.gif

p47lyxr.gif

• Like 1

All these wack ass albums being posted are almost as bad as the actual Bible :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Well no uhm The Bible (referenced below) is perfect as is!

No, the Bible has been translated out of its own original meanings throughout and, thusly, largely taken out of context. It gets even worse when people put their own spin on it, due to their own prejudices which influences the way they understand it—not by what it was truly meant to mean.

It's so wild to me how you have people who couldn't pass a fourth grade reading comprehension or history class, but will exclaim that they have the Bible figured out for all that it is and has been.

14 hours ago, DamianSolo said:

No, the Bible has been translated out of its own original meanings throughout and, thusly, largely taken out of context. It gets even worse when people put their own spin on it, due to their own prejudices which influences the way they understand it—not by what it was truly meant to mean.

It's so wild to me how you have people who couldn't pass a fourth grade reading comprehension or history class, but will exclaim that they have the Bible figured out for all that it is and has been.

No, translations are still being made by very old, original text.

Also explain how in (orthodox) judaism it is read the same way? Are they also a victim of wrong translation even though they use the original text?

I really do not care. If people still believe an imaginary deity, that supersedes humanity, has existed before, during, and after our existence (if I'm remembering what I was taught by my mother correctly about non-denominational Christianity), can apparently cure cancer but is absent for a worldwide pandemic, and to this day we still have zero proof that such a being exists, is beyond my comprehension. And before someone reports me, am I making any of this up? I am GENUINELY willing to have my mind changed if I am factually inaccurate about anything I just said. And if you're religious, I honestly have no qualms with you despite what I might have suggested about your group of people, but when I reiterate objective facts that have been well-studied and people would rather choose faith over something objectively true, I have to be honest-- that frustrates me deeply. 

Edited by zasderfght
grammar edit

8 hours ago, velocity said:

No, translations are still being made by very old, original text.

Also explain how in (orthodox) judaism it is read the same way? Are they also a victim of wrong translation even though they use the original text?

I grew up in and live in a Christian household with a variety of Bibles laying around. I randomly just started reading and comparing them and there are the same verses stated differently throughout, with added words that change the meaning of the verse in its entirety.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.